Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Constant (warning/) Tone When Engine Is Off

chris_mac6

Hi

This is my first post hope you can help. I've got an Avensis '98 1.8 GS with 100k on the clock. I've had the car 4 years, replaced key and door unit at a cost of £600 last year so don't want to replace it yet! Yesterday morning as I approached the car I noticed that there was a strange low key electronic tone coming from inside the drivers side front wing. The car disarms and starts and drives ok, but suspecting the alarm I tried setting the alarm off (locked car and opened bonnet) this triggered the alarm but no siren only the indicator lights speed-flashing indicating an alarm. Does any one have any idea's

Chris

This sounds like heaven as can't stop my damn alarm from going off at all hours !!!

Did you use the fob to open the doors or the key as I think it makes a quiet noise with the hazards flashing when you change the Battery in the fob and need to "reprogramme" (for want of a better word) the key.

Try opening the doors with the hazards going turn the ignition on wait a 5-10 secs and press unlock or lock twice, you should hear the door lock mech work. This is what I recall the handbook said when changing the batteries so may work - oh yeah it did not stop my alarm from going nuts when it wants but at least I have fresh batteries!!!

I accidentally blew the fuse for the "dome light" during the summer. (trying to fix the dreaded interior light problem where it keeps blowing) Anyway, the upshot was that when I shut the door I started to get this high pitch tone from the alarm sounder in the o/s/f wing.

The dome light fuse seems to be integral to the alarm circuit and what it is saying is that the security is compromised.

I found that the central locking wouldn't work either from the key fob. I could only lock it manually.

From memory it is a 7.5amp mini blade fuse (brown top) situated within the fusebox just behind the Battery.

Changed the fuse and all was well again - might be worth you checking to see if any of them are blown anyway as nobody seems to have a copy of the wiring loom layout for these vehicles.

The Haynes manual has just been released and has quite an extensive wiring diagram in the back. Don't kow if the part you want is in it though.

Changed the fuse and all was well again - might be worth you checking to see if any of them are blown anyway as nobody seems to have a copy of the wiring loom layout for these vehicles.

Sounds like your alarm siren is full of water and short circuiting matey. Common fault on early Avensis models.

I've previously posted on alarm problems that , touch head. haven't reoccured.

My siren was bone dry but the alarm was still flipping. ended up spraying and cleaning all the door swtichs, the siren and even vacumuming a still un-identified switch in the boot lid. Also turned the alarm sensitivy right down. What is it with 98 99 1.8 gs? They seem to be going nuts alarmwise.

Hi Peter

There's a couple of things you could try. Look in the centre console, remove any metal objects, such as coins, keys, locking wheel nut key etc. Also remove mobile phones. Any of these will cause your alarm to false alarm. The usual scenario is:- customer comes in - false alarming, advice is to remove keys, coins and phones as above. Customer retorts:- they've been there for the past year. Yes you're right, but try it anyway. Coins, keys and phone removed, false alarming stops.

It seems that the system will put up with these metal objects for quite some time before protesting, usually about a year.

As mentioned previously, sirens get water in them, it corrodes the circuit boards and then the alarm goes off just as it fancies. Siren is behind the right front bumper corner. If all you want is to silence the alarm, gain access by removing the front bumper or right front lower under tray. Make sure the alarm is disarmed and remove the multiplug. It will trouble you no more. The central locking will still work and the indicators will still give the confirmation flash, but your neighbours will love you. Fit a new siren if it is an insurance requirement.

Regards Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Ray99.

Thanks for those tips.

I usually have the tyre presuure gauge wedged in the ashtray (don't smoke now).

I also now suspect the siren has ceased to work as the car shows all the symptoms of the alarm being activated (lights flash etc.) without the siren going off. I've tried to set it off myself and ..silence.

I did turn the sensitivity right down on a box in the boot inner (drivers side), not the volume control?

I also got to the siren and found it to be bone dry last time. Precautionary WD40 spray hopefully kept it that way.

I suspect water has got something to do with it.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Other than one or two minor niggles I still think you'd have to go a long way to beat Toyota for family cars.

Ta!

• 3 months later...

Try disconnecting the siren unit. It is common for the siren Battery terminals to corrode and that stops them from connecting properly to the pcb in the siren unit. Once it is removed from the car the alarm starts working normally but without any noise i.e. the indicators flash if the car is broken into and the immobiliser arms.

Paul

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links