Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Light Warning

zerowing

My Engine warning light came on, so called Toyota Salford RRG as this is the closest Toyota to where I live 8th December 2006, asked when they will have time to check out the engine warning light. I asked if they would have any time on Saturday, they told me that they won’t have anytime until Monday the 11th, I then told them I also need a service and immediately they got my booked in the car for a service and to check out the engine warning light on Saturday. Which is kind of strange as they said “they don’t have any time until Monday”.

Got the car back in a 2 hours, was told that the problem could have been due to lack of oil, but I always check the oil to see if there is sufficient amount inside. They reset the ECU and the engine light was off.

Drove the car the remainder of the weekend and no problems until I was driving to work on Monday, the engine light came back on. I immediately contacted Toyota RRG Salford again. To get the problem resolved.

After an hour check they told me that there is a problem with the engine, that when the VVTI kicks in the engine light will come on. They told me that it might not be covered under warranty as I have done 20k since I got the car in May this year.

they uoted me 472.81 for parts and labour

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me after 50k miles. Basically the light kept on coming on and off for about a month or two with no performace issues. I was a bit skint at the time so I self diagnosed rather than paying £90 for Toyota to kick the tyres a few times. I diagnosed wrongly and after a few more weeks my VVT-i packed up. In the end I had to leave the car with Toyota for a week and pay out for a new VVT-i controller, and all the internal cogs and bits. The dealer said if I had got the car sorted out sooner, then maybe only the vvti controller valve (an external part) would have had to be replaced at a fraction of the price. Total bill came to around £500inc.

So you may only need to have the controller valve replaced rather than the whole system if caught quickly enough. If I was you I'd suggest this to Toyota before they over-do you.

Get it sorted asap though as cars don't fix themselves!

Good luck

P.S - I posted about this a while ago under engine code P1347 - (or something like that)

The rule of thumb is that if you know you've not been mucking with sensors then reset the ECU. If the warning light comes back - go to Mr T.

If you don't know what you're doing, go straight to Mr T :lol:

:thumbsup:

A

• 2 weeks later...

VVT1 controller I guess

Just had mine done at 65,000miles as it had the very same symptoms.

The warning light kept coming on and off untill eventually it stayed on permenantly.

I waited about month to save up while the light decided to come on permently or not, most garages said I could drive around but to whatch the oil levels daily.

I took it to toyota as soon as it started to come on and they diagnosed the VVT-I controller which means a few hours work to replace as it's in the top of the engine under the cam cover.

Be aware the work is mainly labour with the VVtT-I controller and a gasket being the only parts needed.

I shopped around for best price and found Auto Scuderia in bristol would do the work for £320.00

Toyota in chelt wanted £450.00! and toyota world in bristol wanted £350 plus £30 for finding the fault!

Morpheus33, I would like to know how good or bad Auto Scuderia are. I know that they used to be a Toyota dealer but for some reason or another, they just sell and service old Toyota's (and Volvo's recently). I haven't used them yet because my car is still under warranty. However, a colleague used them to fix his broken Supra and seemed impressed.

Zerowing - Just to remind you, the service intervals on the Yaris is 10,000 miles or yearly whichever comes first. So if you're driving 20,000 miles per year, unfortunately it needs to be serviced twice.

I used auto scuderia for the above work it was my first time there. They seemed very professional to me. yaris as courtesy car ready when I got there.

Toyota world by contrast seems to be run by a bunch of 14 years olds these days, who seem to have a great laugh everytime you have a large car bill to pay

They could not be bothered to drop me off at aztec west when they are less than a mile away down gloucester road on my last service

So stuff em!

Got it changed, paid £482 and the car seems to be better, but still not impressed, ha to fork out that amount..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links