Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

97 Corolla Headunit

trickytree

Can anyone help ?? I want to remove the original r/cassette player in my 97 corolla (92-97 model) so that I can fit a sony cd player, does anyone know exactly what I have to remove to get to the headunit brackets..is it the air vents??...any help will be greatly appreciated.

This thread should help.

Isn't that thread for a 99 model which is a different head unit than a 92-97? I had the 95 corolla and its different on mine.

This thread should help.

Isn't that thread for a 99 model which is a different head unit than a 92-97? I had the 95 corolla and its different on mine.

Nope- that's from my Corolla and that's a 1998

Hi there, thanks for the info but I think mine may be different to yours, my model corolla was replaced in aug 97, Its the 92-97 version. I think the newer 97- model had the headunit fitted at the top above the air vents. Photo of mine below.

IMG_0559.jpg

i have the same model. Take the surround out around the cigerette lighter and centre console. (4x screws)

Then give it a push from behind. Should be able to pry it out!

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the dash surround by firstly removing 2 screws located just below the heater matrix. Remove the heater knobs, simply pull them off.

If you can push in the air vents slightly and with a gentle pull the dash surround will come away. You need to remove 3 sockets for the clock, rear heater and hazard lights. I see you also have air con, so I that will have a connector that needs to be removed.

I can't quite remember how the OEM stereo is removed, however is should become clear with the dash surround off.

Fitting a new stereo can be a bit tricky depending on what brackets come with the new stereo. I have a pioneer deh- p9600r and I used the mounting bracket bolted either side of the headunit.

If you need any further help, PM me.

Kev

Thanks for all the info....I managed to get the fascia off by following what you said and removing the two screws and three connectors to the clock, hazards and r/heater. The OEM r/cass was fitted with four front facing 8mm bolts. the unit came away with two brackets that once removed fitted easily to my new Sony CD headunit. I used an autoleads wire loom adaptor (toyota - ISO) rather than cut the original wiring, it was then an easy job just to refit everything in reverse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Glad it all worked out ok :)

Kev

Hay all - I'm a new Corolla owner from the US (used 1997). Been having trouble finding this info - and you saved me hours! Thanks for the pointers!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi there, thanks for the info but I think mine may be different to yours, my model corolla was replaced in aug 97, Its the 92-97 version. I think the newer 97- model had the headunit fitted at the top above the air vents. Photo of mine below.

IMG_0559.jpg

HI THERE, I TOO HAVE A PROBLEM FITTING SONY CD PLAYER IN PLACE OF RADIO. I HAVE MANAGED TO OPEN THE COLSOLE BUT i CANT SEE ANY BRACKET/CHASIS TO FIT THE UNIT. CAN I GET A PICTURE OF THE GENUINE INSIDE ANYWHERE?

How strange! I think the size of your original CD player is single din(55mm), not double din(100mm). As, i known, most toyota CD player is 2 din.

Even so, i think you can find a suitable car DVD player for your Corolla 1997 on AUTODVDGPS.COM :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links