Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeeking

jrampton

My Yaris has been making a squeeking for a while now on and off it happens alot, it's like a brake squeek but it does it randomly while i'm driving along sometimes at high speed as well, i've taken it back to the dealer about 4 times now and they still insist there isn't a problem. :ffs:

oh ... and the indicator often doesn't cancel and it often won't go into reverse first time !!! :censor: :ffs: :censor: :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :help:

My Yaris has been making a squeeking for a while now on and off it happens alot, it's like a brake squeek but it does it randomly while i'm driving along sometimes at high speed as well, i've taken it back to the dealer about 4 times now and they still insist there isn't a problem. :ffs:

Could this be the well known (and documented) Yaris door mirror whistle.......................often mistaken for a brake squeek.

If so there is a Toyota service bulletin which puts some felt material in the mirror mounting gap.

You will not be the first (or the last) to think that the noise is comming from the brakes.

oh ... and the indicator often doesn't cancel and it often won't go into reverse first time !!! :censor: :ffs: :censor: :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :help:

Sometimes if you have not turned the steering wheel far enough to negotiate the turn (often at roundabouts), the self cancelling does not work.

The Yaris gearbox is well known to bulk occasionally going into first or reverse.

Just reselect neutral and then make sure that your clutch pedal is well pressed down...................That usually does the trick :thumbsup:

The squeek is often at low speeds tho ?

I sometimes get a squeek which i think i have narrowed down to the seat bolts. try rocking your seat forwards and backwards. if their is any play in the seat it could be the cause of the squeeking.

The Yaris gearbox is well known to bulk occasionally going into first or reverse.

Just reselect neutral and then make sure that your clutch pedal is well pressed down...................That usually does the trick :thumbsup:

Yeah, apparently it's a safety feature to stop you selecting reverse when travelling at speed, lifting the clutch then pressing it down again usually does the trick

Does applying the brakes stop or alter the noise? Try driving on a quiet road and apply brakes with left foot whilst still having right on throttle if you get the squeak. You may be able to hear things happen, if the squeak goes on without change this may indicate it's not a brake problem.

You could try getting someone to drive around a car park whilst you hang out of the window, or run around after it to see if you can determine where the squeak is coming from. Or you could support the front on axle stands and put it in first and run the wheels to see if you can hear it, change the gears to speed it up, or have someone sit in and rev it to see if anything happens at different speeds, though it may not be noticable without weight on the suspension. Be very careful though.

You could take the wheels off and clean up with brake cleaner and even take the pads out and carefully smear copper grease on the back and see if this solves the problem.

Does applying the brakes stop or alter the noise? Try driving on a quiet road and apply brakes with left foot whilst still having right on throttle if you get the squeak. You may be able to hear things happen, if the squeak goes on without change this may indicate it's not a brake problem.

You could try getting someone to drive around a car park whilst you hang out of the window, or run around after it to see if you can determine where the squeak is coming from. Or you could support the front on axle stands and put it in first and run the wheels to see if you can hear it, change the gears to speed it up, or have someone sit in and rev it to see if anything happens at different speeds, though it may not be noticable without weight on the suspension. Be very careful though.

You could take the wheels off and clean up with brake cleaner and even take the pads out and carefully smear copper grease on the back and see if this solves the problem.

Nope applying the brakes makes no differance, tried dipping the clutch as well, it a constant long squeek unlike a squeek from a brake or seat wobbling

Toyota have had the brakes stripped and everything checked out ok, trouble is they say the car doesn't do it when they have it.

For a while i noticed it more on left hand bends coming off the motorway which made me think it was a wheel bearing but now it does it right hand bends left and straight not steering on the motorway.

Nope applying the brakes makes no differance, tried dipping the clutch as well, it a constant long squeek unlike a squeek from a brake or seat wobbling

Toyota have had the brakes stripped and everything checked out ok, trouble is they say the car doesn't do it when they have it.

For a while i noticed it more on left hand bends coming off the motorway which made me think it was a wheel bearing but now it does it right hand bends left and straight not steering on the motorway.

Hmmm. Have you tried putting the car up on stands and spinning the wheels to see if you can duplicate the squeak? For the front put the car in gear, for the rears put a socket on a nut and use a ratchet to rotate the wheel faster and faster, you can get a fair bit of speed up this way.

Have you checked the CV gaitors or inner gators on the drive shafts? Maybe something up with CV joints, (though these normally knock when a problem) or the rubber boots themselves?. Another thing could be an air leak in the induction system somewhere.

Is there any way of telling where the squeak is coming from? Left, Right, front, back?

My 1st Yaris - a 2004 1.0 T3 had issues with the brake binding - it was a long squeak from the driverside front wheel, it went back to Toyota under warranty (at around the 5000 mile mark) who cleaned & adjusted the brake & it was fine since. Now the Yaris Blue is suffering from the same noise ( :ffs: ), I have heard of other owners on here suffering from the same.

Also the noise doesnt happen just when braking either, it used to be mainly on corners but now it can be anytime.

My 1st Yaris - a 2004 1.0 T3 had issues with the brake binding - it was a long squeak from the driverside front wheel, it went back to Toyota under warranty (at around the 5000 mile mark) who cleaned & adjusted the brake & it was fine since. Now the Yaris Blue is suffering from the same noise ( :ffs: ), I have heard of other owners on here suffering from the same.

Also the noise doesnt happen just when braking either, it used to be mainly on corners but now it can be anytime.

Sounds like that is the same thing then !! :thumbsup: I'm glad that i'm not the only one having this problem, hopefully its a known issue.

One more possiblility, the rear hatch catch. Seriously! I thought I was losing a suspension bush.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so sorry if my questions are stupid...

Last week, I had my T-Sports gearbox reconditioned and a new clutch was put in at the same time.

I've got my car back and the gearbox seems ok, well the clutch as well. Except now there's a chirping noise coming from the back right-hand side (under the bonnet).

Its something to do with the clutch coz when I press the clutch (even slightly press it) the noise goes away.

It's quite annoying now because its always there, at low and high revs and whilst driving.

I took it back to the place I had the work done from and they just said bring it back in a week if it hasn't gone by then, (cuz it needs time to wear in??).

Anyboy else have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Sammi :)

One more possiblility, the rear hatch catch. Seriously! I thought I was losing a suspension bush.

Mine had that really bad as well as the spoiler rubbing - both very annoying... and hard to pin point what's actually doing it!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so sorry if my questions are stupid...

Last week, I had my T-Sports gearbox reconditioned and a new clutch was put in at the same time.

I've got my car back and the gearbox seems ok, well the clutch as well. Except now there's a chirping noise coming from the back right-hand side (under the bonnet).

Its something to do with the clutch coz when I press the clutch (even slightly press it) the noise goes away.

It's quite annoying now because its always there, at low and high revs and whilst driving.

I took it back to the place I had the work done from and they just said bring it back in a week if it hasn't gone by then, (cuz it needs time to wear in??).

Anyboy else have any suggestions?

Cheers.

Sammi :)

They should have fitted a clutch kit which would have included a new release bearing, if they just replaced the clutch plate on its own the old release bearing might now be on its way out after being disturbed and then refitted.

Worth checking what they actually replaced.

Sounds like that is the same thing then !! :thumbsup: I'm glad that i'm not the only one having this problem, hopefully its a known issue.

Yeah it's a definate possibility - have you been out with an engineer from MrT for a road test? I took the Blue to a dealer where the engineer drove and I was in the passenger seat & sods law it didnt make a squeak at all.

As it's more frequent I hope that when I do take it next time it'll rear it's ugly head! :lol:

Yeah it's a definate possibility - have you been out with an engineer from MrT for a road test? I took the Blue to a dealer where the engineer drove and I was in the passenger seat & sods law it didnt make a squeak at all.

As it's more frequent I hope that when I do take it next time it'll rear it's ugly head! :lol:

My Yaris 2005 have the same noise when press barke, 10km/h or 5Km/h only... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Had my car into inchcape toyota today,

They have fixed a few things that were rattleing the air box was rattling and the gear cable was rattling on the exhaust ???

Plus a few other noises they found from the A pillars and a few other places but now it's like a new car, i can't beleive how much better it is, just need to wait and see if the squeek comes back.

I had a brake squeek noise from drivers side front brake. which maily occured during left turns. I found that the heatshield behind the driverside front brake disc was coming into contact with the disc. I just pushed the heatshield back slightly and this cured the problem.

Hope this helps

Mike

I had a brake squeek noise from drivers side front brake. which maily occured during left turns. I found that the heatshield behind the driverside front brake disc was coming into contact with the disc. I just pushed the heatshield back slightly and this cured the problem.

Hope this helps

Mike

That sounds like mine, might give that a try thanks. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links