Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Enabling Sat Nav On Yaris Gs?

u_trip

Alright guys and gals,

Hopefully someone could help. Im wondering if its possible to enable sat-nav on the standard GS (1999) multi-display screen/panel, does anyone know if the hardware & software is inplace and simply just disabled?

There is an unused connector on the back, which makes me think it might be a common unit....... it would be awesome if it could be 'hacked' to give free navi! :P

Cheers.

Simple answer ... no, you should like most yaris have a sat nav button, and connections ready for one to be installed but as standard hardware/software wont be installed. Unless of course the previous owner had it fitted

I wouldn't bother either. Better of buyin a TomTom or summin.

When I had it in my GLS it was practically useless.

Although other people may have had better experiences ;)

There is nothing to hack as it’s not installed! :lol:

The fittings/connections/buttons are there as standard if you wish to purchase it at time of sale or after.

TNS (Toyota Navigation System) version is a DVD based system.

The monochrome display shows on the radio and is accessed by scrolling through the navigation button.

It’s very good but very expensive, I have it on mine, after market ones have dropped in price in the last couple of years (Tom Tom etc) and are cheaper than a replacement DVD from Mr T so I would consider one of those if you want sat nav.

:thumbsup:

I've considered getting it too. I can't alway pinch o/h's Garmin if I want an aftermarket one. :lol: If I picked one up off eBay, is all the necessary wiring / GPS aerial in the car, or does that need to be installed too. Does it matter which TNS I get (mine is a Dec 01 car)?

I don't think it matters whether you go for the TNS 200 or 300, but again you'd still maybe be better with an aftermarket system. I believe the aerial and everything should be in the unit and loom that sometimes appears on e-bay.

Remember too that sat nav is only as good as the mapping it has, so up-to-date maps are important and, as TVOR says, may cost as much as an aftermarket unit.

Good luck though...

:thumbsup:

A

I've got a TNS 200 in my 2001 Yaris, which was fitted by the previous owner from new for 600 or so pounds. (!) I've found it mainly ok, but it's desire to send me onto the A6 any time I go near Stockport is a problem if you've ever crawled down there at peak times.

The only long distance journey I've tried so far was to Dove Holes in Derbyshire, which is mainly along the A6, interestingly.

I don't know if the original owner updated the disc, but it had the new name of a restraunt which has changed hands ince 2001.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links