Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Locking Nut - How To Remove

Richard Davies

I wasn't sure how exactly to remove the locking nuts for my Yaris's alloys. The kit I have has an adaptor with 3 projections in a triangular formation, as well as a black plastic socket with a handle.

I presume I can remove the outer part of the locking nuts with the plastic socket (the vague instructions mention a puller, I assume this is it.) & then undo the rest of the nut with the adaptor and the wheelbace.

I just wanted to know before I need to change a wheel.

You know, I've never understood the reason for the black "puller" thing. Just use the the 3-pronged but to remove the nut.

Make sure that the "key" part is firmly in place before trying to turn the nut though and they are easily damaged and removal of the remaining nuts can be, well, awkward

A

The black puller works by putting the long cylinde part throught the plastic hex shaped piece so you can pull at the silver shiney caps that cover the locking wheel nut. Tbh its a pain in the bum to remove them so using pliers may help! Once they off just try the key in the 3 possible positions, it should slightly go in for each one. However you will know when it is the right position as it will go in further and feel more secure. Then just use the bar that you use to loosen the other nuts on the locking wheel nut adapter :thumbsup: Easy when you've done one!

Ah... mine never had the shiney caps, but I still got the puller :unsure:

That plastic puller thing never actully seemed to work for me, i had to stick my key down the side and use it as a lever to get the covers off.

I knew I was on the right track, the kit I got had the original nuts, so I could use them with the spare to make things easy.

Trilock locking wheel nuts..

trilock_936660051_large.jpg

.. have to be the worst locking nuts money can buy. :ffs:

The pins in the metal adaptor WILL twist and bend and either fall out or they will break off alltogether, these things are not strong enough to loosen the nuts if they are really quite tight... and as for the plastic cap removal tool.. waste of time and effort even trying,k use a pair of long nosed pliers.

Get rid of them.. and get a set similar to these...

3e_1_sbl.JPG

We get less trouble with these at work than we do with other types.. but trilock ARE the worst that we get.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links