Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is My Multifunction Display Faulty?

arnfil

Hi everybody,

just got my Yaris recently, its a 99 1.0 gs, so phase 1? Loving it so far, but I'm hoping someone can help me with a quick question - is it normal for the average fuel consumption and average speed figures on the clock/multi display to reset to zero when I switch the engine off?

The clock itself is o.k., temp displays and data displays when driving and stopped with the engine running. Might be a stupid question (sorry) - there's no mention of resetting in the manual, and I'm coming from driving my parents 02 corolla which keeps the data until you reset it yourself.

thanks in advance,

Andy.

do you mean on the trip diplay on the dash if so i think you have a problem because my average speed and average mpg only re-setts when i re-set it, if you hold down *trip* or *mode* button on its own thats how i re-set it, its either 1 ive forgotten due to disconnecting it due to a new stereo headunit.

Yep, should definitely not reset when you just turn your engine off! Same answer I seen to be giving to everyone on here - might be worth a trip to Mr T to see if they can identifty the problem. If it's just a bust unit get yourself down to the local breakers yard and get a 'clock' - not a 'multidisplay unit'!

I have the same probelm with mine.

I know that on other cars the computer keeps the data until you reset it, but I thought that is the Yaris way to reset computer everytime you turn off the engine. Seems that it's not like this?

So, can anyone help us?

The average Speed figure on my New Yaris (56 reg) resets at each engine start but the average fuel consumption remains steady at anywhere between 50 to 54.5 MPG depending on how I drive :thumbsup:

Yep, its deffo a problem. The average speed and mpg should only reset when you reset it. Not every time you turn the engine off. Think it averages everything either over the last 1,000 Kms or since you last manually reset it - whichever is the least.

No its not a fault!

My average speed and average fuel consumption has reset each time I turn off the ignition, since my car was new in 2000.

I've just looked at the manual and it states that these display the average readings since the engine was last started, which confirms that it is doing what its meant to do.

There's no mention of any "reset" button to reset the settings in the manual.

Perhaps the other owners are driving more recent models and Toyota might have changed things during the car's production run....

Or it may be a difference between UK and imported models. Mine's actually a RHD Euro import from Belgium.

Where is your rear fog light switch? Is it part of the indicator stalk (UK models) or is it a push button on the dash next to the electric mirror control like mine? That might help tell you if its a UK model or not....

Either way - don't worry about it. Some seem to need manual resets, some cars seem to reset every time. There are enough of each to suggest that whichever your car does, that's what its meant to do and there are two different versions, for some reason.....

On my old 2000 Yaris GS it used to reset everytime I switched the engine off too. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help guys :thumbsup:

I should have added - there was a philips 6CD changer manual in the paperwork with the car (but no actual changer, I did look :D ) so I was wondering if fitting/removal of that had something to do with it, but it seems like everything is ok for a yaris of this age if all our units behave the same. I might talk to Mr T to confirm - will let you know how I get on.

@alfiejts - I've got the same fog light button as you, I think I have a UK model though, the original sales invoice is from a main dealer. I'm guessing that yeah, functions were added with the facelift (or ickle teardrop addition :P ) and maybe the 01 onwards ABS as standard models as well. Case in point - the (not accurate) range function I see some people have, which I definitely don't have.

Anyway, thanks again, hope to return the favour sometime,

Andy.

The different foglight controls on the earliest Yari are to do with place of manufacture, although after a while the switch was standardised to be the one on the column.

Hth,

Alan

Mine is a japan production and the fog switch is on the dash.

So it's not a problem :P

But, can I do smtg to don't reset everytime I start the engine?

Now that's a thought. Maybe Japan produced cars reset each time and French built ones (using a different component source) don't.......

There are definite differences between the two - at one time I was looking into buying an official Toyota leather steering wheel from the accessory catalogue and it would only fit Japanese built models.

You would never have thought that the same car built in two different factories would have different steering wheel fitments.....

My GS was built in Japan and it reset everytime I switched the engine off. My T-Sport was built in Japan and it doesn't reset everytime the engine is switched off! :P

arnfil, the range function was introduced on the phase 2! :thumbsup:

is it normal for the average fuel consumption and average speed figures on the clock/multi display to reset to zero when I switch the engine off?

Sounds like a phase 1 feature.

The phase 2 (face lifted) the trip computer information stays stored until manually re-set by the user

:thumbsup:

is it normal for the average fuel consumption and average speed figures on the clock/multi display to reset to zero when I switch the engine off?

Sounds like a phase 1 feature.

Nah, my phase 1 T-Sport saves the figures! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links