Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator Not Responding

woodie

Hi all,

I am driving a 2.0 avensis d-4d turbo 2004 with 50000miles and recently has developed a problem. When driving the car it sometimes fails to respond to the accelerator. This has happened at 60 mph in 5th gear with a warm engine and at 20 mph in 2nd gear with a cold engine. After a while it rectifies itself and drives normally. My Toyota main dealer cannot find a fault as the problem does not show when he is testing it. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated as the lack of response to the accelerator is dangerous when overtaking. :huh::huh::huh:

woodie

Were the fuel and air filters changed recently?

Hi mbx,

I presume they were as i only bought the car recently and it has a full service history from Mr. T. He disconnected the air flow meter to try and see if that was the problem. Since then when driving in 3rd gear it has lost all response to accelerator on 3 occassions. car will only travel at idle engine speed in 2nd gear. then i pull in and engine will not rev past 2000RPM. i turn car off, restart and it drives perfectly until the next time.

Thanks woodie

Hi mbx,

I presume they were as i only bought the car recently and it has a full service history from Mr. T. He disconnected the air flow meter to try and see if that was the problem. Since then when driving in 3rd gear it has lost all response to accelerator on 3 occassions. car will only travel at idle engine speed in 2nd gear. then i pull in and engine will not rev past 2000RPM. i turn car off, restart and it drives perfectly until the next time.

Thanks woodie

Hi woodie,

It sounds like the engine mgt system computer is developing a fault that is cleared by switching off the car. Have you reported the fact that it's cleared by switching off the engine to your dealer?

However the symphtoms very similar to those having dirt in fuel filter.

I hope the dealer checked the error codes from car computer? What they tell?

Hi mbx,

Thanks woodie

Hi woodie,

It sounds like the engine mgt system computer is developing a fault that is cleared by switching off the car. Have you reported the fact that it's cleared by switching off the engine to your dealer?

Hi Avensis Luna 03,

I am booked in with MR. T tomorrow to re connect air flow meter and will fill him in on whats happenning. will let u know .

Thanks Woodie

However the symphtoms very similar to those having dirt in fuel filter.

I hope the dealer checked the error codes from car computer? What they tell?

Hi mbx,

could be dirt--fault happens about once every 100miles. Then of course when i go Mr toyota the car drives perfectly and nothing shows on the computer diagnostic and the car itself does not keep a record of faults that have occured

Thanks woodie

Possible 'fly-by-wire' accelerator pedal switch faulty of chaffed wiring near the pedals?

Hi rf76,

had air flow meter replaced today and it did not solve the problem.!! back to mr. t. next week for more tests. i mentioned possible causes from above contributors. he wants car back again to do more tests and will mention your suggestion.

thanks for help,

woodie

• 1 month later...

Problem sorted.

Main dealer took car and test drove it for a while. Problem showed up and computer diagnostics showed a faulty Glow Plug. These were replaced and the car now drives perfectly.

Many Thanks.

thats damn lucky!!! my faults never show up in garages :lol:

glad its OK now.

Problem sorted.

Main dealer took car and test drove it for a while. Problem showed up and computer diagnostics showed a faulty Glow Plug. These were replaced and the car now drives perfectly.

Many Thanks.

That's odd. I thought glow plugs were just for cold starts and weren't used during normal running of the car?

Well, that's how they worked on my old Mondeo.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem sorted.

Many Thanks.

I have exactly the same fault with cut out and accelerator inoperative when engine is cold and within a mile or so from home. Has the changing glow plugs still the solution to your problem? My car is back in the garage for the second time and I only bought the car 2 weeks ago. peter

• 2 weeks later...

Problem sorted.

Many Thanks.

I have exactly the same fault with cut out and accelerator inoperative when engine is cold and within a mile or so from home. Has the changing glow plugs still the solution to your problem? My car is back in the garage for the second time and I only bought the car 2 weeks ago. peter

Yes changing the faulty glow plugs worked. driving the car for two months now and it is perfect thankfully

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links