Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Norton Antivirus

Kev Mc

I've had Norton Antivirus 2005 since I got my new computer a few months ago & never had a problem with it, it's just happily ran in the background & whenever I've downloaded a tune or whatever I scanned it & all was well. Now though, it's really interfering & absolutely doing my head in to the point where I feel like smashing up the !Removed! computer it's trying to protect.

I use a filesharing program & now whenever I load it up, it absolutely harrasses me asking me if I want to permit or block it & it's really, really annoying me (contually asks me about 10 times before the filesharing program has loaded up & then keeps having little fits where it keeps pestering me). I haven't messed with the settings at all & the only thing that's changed on my computer are these little Disney games my mum bought for my nephew, could these be affecting it? Are there any ways I can change it back to the way it was?

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks

Best advice I could ever offer is get rid of the evil Norton and do a google for AVG free edition. It's updated 2 or 3 times a day and has detected everything the net could throw at me.

The new behaviour could potentially be caused by an update for Norton you have received which gives it more aggressive behaviour regarding other apps.

On a personal level, I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge pole. I would consider myself pretty computer literate and when I switched from Norton to a program called AVG, it immediately detected 3 virii on my machine and when I checked the dates of the files, it turns out they had been there for something like 9 months and Norton had happily ignored them.

Now I've not been near Norton for quite a long time now but I'd assume that it allows you to create an exception list of programs that you don't want Norton to mess with.

now follows my $0.02.....Ditch Norton and switch to something that actually works. AVG is free and has a much better detection rate and a much lower noticeable presence on your PC.

EDIT: LOL I love being beaten to it whilst I'm writing a reply ;)

I'm one of the few people in the world who actually like Norton...

Yes its resource hungry and its expensive, but it does the job. I've actually found it much better than AVG on a few occasions.. I now have Norton 2007 (thanks to a free upgrade from Symantec) and for me, its just the ticket.... I plan to install it on the work machines too when it comes time to upgrade from evil McAfee!

AVG is all well and good, I just dont find it as good as Norton, just my opinion though! :thumbsup:

Is there not a little tick box you can tick when it asks you to permit or block to say "remember my answer" or something.... it'll stop it repeatedly popping up - although I use file sharing programmes and it never ever pops up for me - must just be the way you have it set up - why not lower the security level - it might be on "high" or something at the moment, just shift it down to "medium" or whatever is in the middle

The trouble with file share programs is that they are not just connecting to 1 PC, they connect to dozens to download the file you requested.

as above - have a look through the security settings & see if you can exclude the program - i wouldn't go as far as lowering the whole security settings though

J

Get rid of it!

It doesnt find half the virus's out there. And every virus atm seems to try attack norton straight away lol

Get rid of it!

It doesnt find half the virus's out there. And every virus atm seems to try attack norton straight away lol

:help:

I have a similar problem and want to ditch :censor: Norton once and for all, the only problem is if I go to Control Panel add or remove programs and try to delete it nothing happens :ffs:

Does anyone out there know how I can remove this piece if rubbish from my PC.

Get rid of it!

I have a similar problem and want to ditch :censor: Norton once and for all, the only problem is if I go to Control Panel add or remove programs and try to delete it nothing happens :ffs:

Try THIS link, its that bad that it cant remove itself half the time!

This is the only norton programme I would ever recomend anybody downloads!

Yes its resource hungry and its expensive, but it does the job. I've actually found it much better than AVG

I plan to install it on the work machines too when it comes time to upgrade from evil McAfee!

If you try AVG (the new version 7.5) and temporarily disable Norton and see how many infected files it finds that Norton has missed!

You will find that in fact it doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

If you plan to install Norton on your employer’s machines be sure each version is licensed and legal as you may find yourself in deep hot water if they are caught with ‘pirated’ copies.

AVG

Avast

:thumbsup:

Yes its resource hungry and its expensive, but it does the job. I've actually found it much better than AVG

I plan to install it on the work machines too when it comes time to upgrade from evil McAfee!

If you try AVG (the new version 7.5) and temporarily disable Norton and see how many infected files it finds that Norton has missed!

You will find that in fact it doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

If you plan to install Norton on your employer’s machines be sure each version is licensed and legal as you may find yourself in deep hot water if they are caught with ‘pirated’ copies.

AVG

Avast

:thumbsup:

Already done that, Norton actually found more than AVG7.5 did. :thumbsup: I've had experience with most anti-virus programmes. McAfee sucks to high heaven, I'd never ever recommend that, but my personal experience with AVG, both the free and the pro versions, is they're not bad, the free version is great for home users and the pro version great for businesses on a tight budget, but Norton is my personal preference :thumbsup:

I am the IT dept at work and where business goes, you have to be on the straight and narrow. I'm daft on occasion, but I'm not that daft to install pirate versions on the office pc's. Even my copy of Norton at home is 100% legal :yes: (only because I got it cheap from Amazon!) :lol:

Get rid of it!

Try THIS link, its that bad that it cant remove itself half the time!

This is the only norton programme I would ever recomend anybody downloads!

Thanks for that YarisT i'll give it a go :thumbsup:

Yes its resource hungry and its expensive, but it does the job. I've actually found it much better than AVG on a few occasions.. I now have Norton 2007 (thanks to a free upgrade from Symantec) and for me, its just the ticket.... I plan to install it on the work machines too when it comes time to upgrade from evil McAfee!

AVG is all well and good, I just dont find it as good as Norton, just my opinion though! :thumbsup:

Is there not a little tick box you can tick when it asks you to permit or block to say "remember my answer" or something.... it'll stop it repeatedly popping up - although I use file sharing programmes and it never ever pops up for me - must just be the way you have it set up - why not lower the security level - it might be on "high" or something at the moment, just shift it down to "medium" or whatever is in the middle

I like norton!!

There are all these people who hate norton because its the best so they have to be different and use some random make and look cool!

NORTON RULES :thumbsup: lol

I like norton!!

There are all these people who hate norton because its the best so they have to be different and use some random make and look cool!

NORTON RULES :thumbsup: lol

That has nothing to do with my reason for not liking it. a) It costs money; b ) it's massive bloatware and getting more and more invasive with each release and c) It has a comparatively low detection rate compared to many other products out there.

The fact that after 9 months, Norton still hadn't picked up 3 virii on my machine, despite constant automatic updates tells all the story I ever need to hear.

But if you like it, then good luck to you. :thumbsup:

I think Norton is for people that like pretty things ..... exaclty the same for people who buy Macs :P ;)

There is better and cheaper stuff out there - and for Mac lovers, if your so bothered about this and that then why didn't you buy Linux instead :P :D ;)

If people want to spend there cash then let them :yawn:

I think Norton is for people that like pretty things ..... exaclty the same for people who buy Macs :P ;)

There is better and cheaper stuff out there - and for Mac lovers, if your so bothered about this and that then why didn't you buy Linux instead :P :D ;)

If people want to spend there cash then let them :yawn:

Hey, easy.... My pretty little G5 i-Mac sits on line happily each day without any need for anti virus stuff as it's all built in with OSX. Mind you with the new dual processor there will be more stuff out there to get us. Luckily mine is pre-pentium

My hubby's PC (which takes up soooo much room what with the base AND monitor) is so slow with all the anti virus, spyware adware etc etc that it's quicker to turn my Mac on- boot up- do the job and turn it off! :P

Just a quick note, Hubby uses System Mechanic for end-of-day clean ups, it also pops up on the dock... ooops: toolbar, so you know when to do a quick or deep 'tune-up'.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links