Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg?

milnesy

Hi,

I am a new T sport owner coming from a diesel which did 50+ miles to the gallon. Just wondering what is the best way to drive this car is as I am now gutted when I have to fill my car up each week :crybaby:

Other than not using the lift is there a more efficient way to drive this car? Does the premium petrol have any effect, I have heard mixed reviews?

Thanks,

A now skint fan of the T Sport!!! :thumbsup:

First off, welcome to TOC always nice to see new cts owners here. :thumbsup:

I've personally found that the best way to drive the car is with the rev needle bouncing around on the vertical, but that doesn't really help you with your fuel economy worries.

As you've mentioned, the premium petrol gets mixed reviews. I've only recently switched to Shell V-Power so I need to empty the tank a few more times before I can make any judgements on it's performance/economy for my car.

Others have also mentioned that a CAI has improved fuel economy as well (after the ecu has re-educated itself of course) but I have no idea what the science is behind this claim.

Another one would be to drop the car with new springs or coilovers as this should hopefully reduce the amount of wind drag underneath the car plus it has the added bonus of improving the handling of the car.

I can't give you tips on driving style to improve economy as I rarely check the mpg figures and I bought this car to enjoy the lift - which I do. My opinion right now is to just suck in the fuel costs and enjoy driving before Mr Brown introduces more taxation on cars :crybaby::crybaby:

Anyhoo, welcome to the club, and more importantly "Enjoy the Lift!!"

Thanks for that,

I suppose that is the only thing I can do at the minute, just hope my bank balance can keep up!!! :P

Hello and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Well to get the best out of your car it's common sense. Just dont rev the car close to the rev limiter and smooth gear changes and you will be fine. In other words keeping the car under 4 thousand rpm through gear changes you will see good mpg :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Unfortunately the cts is not the most economicl car but then any 1.8 engine with 190hp isnt going to be economical, power comes at a cost im afarid.

I have manged 34 out mine using vpower, this was on a 240 mile trip though so lots of long roads at 70- 80, but I did use lift as often as I could which seems to become the norm in the CTS :)

I have just started using Tesco 99 but am still on first tank so dont know what diff this makes.

On normal town driving and general everday motoring I only do 4 mile trips or should I say wife does I only get to drive it onc a week :(, we have been getting about 28ish to gallon,

Hi,

I am a new T sport owner coming from a diesel which did 50+ miles to the gallon. Just wondering what is the best way to drive this car is as I am now gutted when I have to fill my car up each week :crybaby:

Other than not using the lift is there a more efficient way to drive this car? Does the premium petrol have any effect, I have heard mixed reviews?

Thanks,

A now skint fan of the T Sport!!! :thumbsup:

Well firstly welcome you'll find lots of useful info here i know i have!

Secondly why did u buy a T sport if u are worried about mpg????? Only sort of kidding but these cars give quite good mpg compared to other similar cars eg type r 27mpg clio182 29mpg etc etc.

Like i said you don't buy this car for good mpg returns you'll know what i mean when u keep using the lift more and more also get yourself out and use the car properly against some unknowing boy racers in fiestas saxo's pugs, even bmw's probably anything except imprezas' and them sort. But when u see their faces when they don't realise what a T-Sport is. I promise you'll have a huge grin and you won't give a chuff what mpg is. Try looking at the trip computer when u are in the lift. about 7-9mpg that'll give you a heart attack lol.

Seriously tho....... my girlfriends dad is a advanced police pursuit instructor and he showed me some tips. Trying getting in a lowest gear as poss....... this is what i stick too and what he showed me and when u stick to it you can see 35-37mpg quite easily.

10mph and over be in 3rd

20mph and over in 4th

30mph and over in 5th

40mph and over stay in 6th

The engine never labours and is quite happy being driven like this. Like i said this is what i do towards end of the month lol

PS can't wait to see your face when road tax needs renuing!!!

But honestly mate you'll learn to love it for what it is and thats not being economical!

I Realise now that it was a bit of silly question to start with but I am interested to know about the better quality fuels.

Thanks for all the advice and I am sure that I will have some more sensible questions in time.

Currently though I am stopping worrying about the mpg and enjoying the ride!!

:yahoo:

I've used nothing but V-power since i got my TS and never let my tank get below 1/4, and I get pretty good mpg considering I use lift quite alot. If previously you had a deasel that was giving you 50+ mpg, then theres no point in even contemplating what you can do to save fuel cause you'll only frustrate yourself. The only time i get frustrated is when im in traffic and i cant use lift lol. Enjoy your car my friend :thumbsup:

That's a good point Fisel!!!

It is best not to let your fuel tank drop below 1/4 full.

Although water and petrol don't mix and normally settle out, all petrol station tanks contain water (and dirt such as sand). This normally sits at the bottom of their tanks, but if you fill your car up when they are offloading a tanker, the water, sand and fuel forms a colloid, which can can be transferred to your petrol tank. Normally it would only be the occasional slug. After a few years, such slugs will have settled out in your tank, resulting in an good few litres of water, normally not a problem as the fuel is not drawn out from the bottom of your tank , however, if you are low on fuel and are really gunning it, then you could pull the water and grit up into your engine. Although the fuel filter will deal with small amounts, a large slug would still pass through and could damage the interior of the valves.

That's a good point Fisel!!!

It is best not to let your fuel tank drop below 1/4 full.

Although water and petrol don't mix and normally settle out, all petrol station tanks contain water (and dirt such as sand). This normally sits at the bottom of their tanks, but if you fill your car up when they are offloading a tanker, the water, sand and fuel forms a colloid, which can can be transferred to your petrol tank. Normally it would only be the occasional slug. After a few years, such slugs will have settled out in your tank, resulting in an good few litres of water, normally not a problem as the fuel is not drawn out from the bottom of your tank , however, if you are low on fuel and are really gunning it, then you could pull the water and grit up into your engine. Although the fuel filter will deal with small amounts, a large slug would still pass through and could damage the interior of the valves.

I tend to disagree with the above comment about low fuel, however, you should switch to v power asap as it will give better economy after a couple of tank fulls. It also reduces noise form the engine and makes the drive much smoother. Avoid tesco 99 as it affected my fuel economy badly. I had to put some fuel cleaner thrrough my car to get the economy back. I drive mine steady for the first two weeks of the month not going above 4000rpm and can get 38/40 :yahoo: every time. But the last two weeks is play time and that drops the computer down to 31/32 :crybaby:

Just been over to Ireland, filled up with Shell V power and managed 37 MPG average !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

My CTS is begining to get a little bit too sensible, perhaps is time to tune the engine!!

:yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links