Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Want To Buy New Avensis But Have Some Worries - Can You Help?

Shuggie

I was hoping some of you might give me your opinions and experiences.

I am seriously looking at buying a new Avensis Estate 2.2 D4D T3X. I currently have a T plate Laguna 1.9TDi that has some reliablity issues. My local Toyota dealer seemed less than keen on selling me a car. I felt chaperoned around the forecourt and got little info of any use. fortunately, I have read many reviews and read many posts on TOC site, so I have a good idea of the facts and figures.

Anyway, I eventually got a test drive in a 2.2 T2 estate, 06 plate 10k miles. And here some new concerns blossomed...

1) The car struggled to start. It had just been driven from another branch for the test drive, so it was definately warm. After locking/unlocking the car and several attempts on the starter, she fumbled and fired up - but only with about a 6 second turn of the starter. After the test drive I tried it again, and she started first time ?!? Any thoughts or similar experiences?

2) I didnt feel the car was gutsy for a 150ps engine. My Laguna is 100ps and my Celica 175BHP, which puts the Avensis somewhere in the middle. I just felt like it wasnt too different from the laguna at all ! I really would have thought it would have been more punchy especially since reading some of the reviews. Sadly, I was limited on my testing on the drive because of ambulances and a traffic accident nearby with police in attendance.

3) General clattery engine noise on the test drive. It really sounded like I was driving a ford transit van. I am well versed with driving a diesel, but as soon as I got back in the Laguna, there was a vast imporovement in diesel engine volume. The noise only seemed to quieten satisfactorarily when I took my foot off the accellerator. Does this sound normal? I thought they had refined the new engines?

Do you think I got an abused car to test drive? Can't say I was impressed by any standard which is a shame because I everything on paper says I want one except these 3 concerns? I should have voiced these concerns with the dealer, but he was so useless and unhelpful already, I didnt bother.

Thanks for wading through my babble. Hope someone has some thoughts on these.

Regards to all

Shug.

Personally, I'd drive the extra 10-15 miles to the next Toyota dealer and try again. I can't speak for the new Avensis as I'm in an old one now but it's the best car I've ever had (ex-Nissan driver). I still wish I had the money to buy the Mazda 6 when I bought this though, love that car!

Seems u've got an abbused car. Never heard about engine start problems. The engine makes a diferent noise, it's true, when you step on it, but nothing unusual i guess. i've got a new 2.0 d4d and the only problems were some noises in the dashboard, solved in service.

Ditto the above comments. I tried a 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit and found it a touch lacking after my BMW 320d, but the Avensis had less than 1,000 miles on the clock. I ended up with a T180 Tourer and this is very impressive, my local dealer is excellent and the car is a safe, comfortable & pleasant place in which to rack up the miles. No problems with the car after almost 15,000 miles.

Try another dealer with another Avensis, explain your experience to them to see if they can put you in a car you feel happy with. Buying a car is possibly the next biggest purchase most of us make after house-buying so it's important you feel happy with whatever you choose. :thumbsup:

I would strongly recommend you do not buy that car. My T4 Engine can hardly be heard at idle and never had any noise from it. As for starting; no problems.

If you do get a good Avensis you will find it a pleasure to drive but the radial ply tyres are noisy compared to non radials. Shop around is my advice.

Anyway, I eventually got a test drive in a 2.2 T2 estate, 06 plate 10k miles. And here some new concerns blossomed...

Do you think I got an abused car to test drive? Can't say I was impressed by any standard which is a shame because I everything on paper says I want one except these 3 concerns? I should have voiced these concerns with the dealer, but he was so useless and unhelpful already, I didnt bother.

Shug - it wouldn't be Western at Sighthill by any chance? They are my local dealer and I went to them for a test drive. They gave me a 2.2 D-4D which had a flat Battery, it was noisy and the clutch was crap on it. The salesman took me on a crap drive up the bypass and back through Colinton and Wester Hailes. I was distinctly unimpressed with the car, the service and the salesman.

From other Avensis diesels I test drove, it sounds as though yours is not worth touching with a barge pole. At least I had a poor test car as my first drive so everyone after seemed a lot better.

If it was Western at Sighthill, then I had a much better experience with Western at Cameron Toll.

Hi Shuggie

I have just done 4000 miles in my T4 2.2 D4D saloon, and find the response, compared to my old 2.0 litre T3S is far better. Quieter at motorway speeds, superb acceleration even in fifth!, and altogether a superb car.

Toyota reliability is the best. Last three years with my T3S was trouble free.

Go for it!!

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for posting your comments. After reading them I do feel I had an abused car.

I think Dunkelmann and I shared the same crap test car ! The car must have originated from the Sighthill branch because it was driven over to me at the Cameron Toll branch and there are only 2 Western Toyota's in Edinburgh. The experience sounds verbatim...

I wanted to take the test drive to find out whether this was the engine size to buy with a view to ordering a brand new one. Looking at the state of that Demonstrator, I would never think about buying an ex-demo again ! I am sure they are all not like that, but it did shock me into realising how abused these "unloved" cars can be.

Once again, Thanks to everyone for their comments - They give me hope. I will need to arrange a test drive somewhere else where the Demo model is in better shape.

Kind regards

Shug

i caklled in at xmas for new batts for remote :censor:

bad service bad attitude and a joke

come on mr t drive up to scotland and do a surprise check

:thumbsup:

NOT LIKE YOU NORMALLY DO IE TELL DEALERSHIP YOU ARE COMING AND REPORTING TO RECEPTION :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links