Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Camera Question

Demonic Angel

Ok, last night I was driving my folks back from my Mums birthday party at about 1am. There are some recently installed Gatso's on one of the main roads in Rugby, only just started working.

Anyway, the camera itself was faced towards me but the lines are on both sides of the road. I was behind the slowest car in the world and I know I was doing 24mph (30 zone) behind this car but as we drove through the lines, a car coming the opposite direction must have been going faster than 30 and got flashed

First time I'd ever seen a speed camera flash!

Anyway, I know I was way under the limit, but is the fact I was also driving past when it flashed going to affect me at all? I'm guessing from the photos they'll see it was the other car who was speeding and not me?

The camera takes 2 pictures.. the speed is determined by how many lines you have passed during the time between the 2 pictures.. the time between the pictures and the distance travelled = your speed.. so they will easily see you weren't speeding.

One thing though.. If you didn't smile for the forward facing camera... the anti-sourpuss brigade will send you a fixed penalty notice of 3 jokes and a ticket to see Billy Connolly in concert.

I didn't smile as I haven't been well over the past few days so I was not only poorly but also tired so I was probably scowling :lol:

Glad to hear I'll be ok though - I did see it flash twice and I immediately checked my speed, but I know I was going quite slowly but its the first time I've ever seen one go off and well, just wanted to make sure!

Can I trade in Billy Connolly for Russell Brand though?

I didn't smile as I haven't been well over the past few days so I was not only poorly but also tired so I was probably scowling :lol:

Glad to hear I'll be ok though - I did see it flash twice and I immediately checked my speed, but I know I was going quite slowly but its the first time I've ever seen one go off and well, just wanted to make sure!

Can I trade in Billy Connolly for Russell Brand though?

NO :o

How dare you ! Russel Brand is a ****** :lol:

Normal Gatso type cameras aren't type approved for catching stuff heading towards them, so it doesn't matter even if you were speeding :)

Normal Gatso type cameras aren't type approved for catching stuff heading towards them, so it doesn't matter even if you were speeding :)

But the lines are on both sides of the road... and the same for the other camera half a mile up the road....

So they've painted lines for no reason then? :lol:

Nope ..... people used to drive on the opposite side of the road when comming up to speed cameras so that there speed couldn't be worked out (*officially) because of there being no lines.

So they paint lines on both sides to solve this problem and also to fool people like you ;)

gatsos arnt used for forward facing traffic due to the flash potentialy 'blinding' drivers so most likely was the other driver that triggered it. sit back and dont worry. you wont see any thing in the post :)

I had a situation where I was in a contra-flow lane and there was a camera there and every car that went through got flashed because the camera sensors obviously weren't expecting cars to be coming in the opposite direction.

Needless to say, I never got a ticket (plus I was doing 35 in a 40 through the roadworks anyway).

All front facing cameras have a slight pink haze to the flash so when it does take your picture it doesn't blind you..... (So I've been told :rolleyes: )

Billy Connolly is a :censor: . Frankly I'd rather remove my genitals with a rusty chainsaw than even hear his voice.

Sorry, carry on...

The only stupid question is a question that's not asked, she wasn't sure about something so she asked, that's what forums are all about. What gives you the right to call it a dumb question? You've been a member for almost a year now, surely you've realised that TOC is a friendly place where you can ask all sorts of questions by now? And what difference does it make that she's a moderator? All mods are are normal members that give up their time to help the club, it doesn't mean they've all got knowledge about everything car-related, the fact that a moderator asked that question is completely irrelevant

How can a moderator on the Toyota Owners club ask such a dumb question :huh:

Because unfortunately that question was omitted from my TOC Moderation Exams..... ;)

And thanks Kev.... being a moderator doesn't mean you know everything sadly, fact is I'm actually just a normal member with a normal level of intelligence else so the fact I've asked a "dumb question" would in fact, only be dumb if we were currently on the Gatso Owners Club forum.... :lol:

I hope that answers your question Manphibian :thumbsup:

How can a moderator on the Toyota Owners club ask such a dumb question :huh:

What difference does it make that she is a moderator. We dont know the answers to everything thing in life my friend. We are all here to gain knowledge about cars and the motoring world. So asking questions like that isn't dumb :bash:

jerry!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links