Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gas Struts On The Estate

Aki

The struts on my 03 T3X estate stop the tailgate sinking down, but don't raise it up either. I thought that you started it on its way and it then more or less took itself all the way. However, if you have your arms full and start to open it in the hope it will then rise all the way it doesn't. Oh, and they groan. Do they need replacing? Mr T tells me this is what they are supposed to be like, but if they are faulty I want to get them replaced before the warranty I got from the dealer runs out.

I have a hatchback '04 54reg T3X and the boot supports were replaced under warranty at the last service.

The problem that I had was that when you opened the boot, it would only open half way and then you had to

physically open it fully.

I spoke to the garage at the 30k service and they sprayed wd40 into the top. It worked for a bit but the problem returned.

There is an approved Toyota service centre locally (ex Toyota dealership now a Nissan garage) so I had the 40k service done. I explained the problem with the boot and told them what the other garage had done.

"No problem sir, that's covered under warranty."

So, I would have another polite word with the garage if your car is still under warranty. If not the cost on my invoice was £58 + VAT EACH.

i have a hatch 04 plate and i have had 2 sets of struts since i have had the car from new. both showed the same signs as expained by hem-lag02. mine normally become faulty in the hot weather though.

I had two struts replaced under warranty they were much better for a while but them went stiff again

It seems its another one of the problems Avensis owners have to put up with I found it really annoying

New struts for me too, but mainly replaced due to rusting where the piston went into the casing. But the new ones do allow the hatch to open more than the old ones but I didn't notice until the replacements were on.

When the struts on my 01 hatchback started to creak, I cleaned them (fully open) with metal polish, then WD40 - opening and closing them. Then a light oil, then finally a light grease. I also oiled the pivot hinges on the bodywork. Never had a problem since.

Perhaps the newer model has different struts, but unless the hydraulics have gone, it must simply be friction.

There's a company in Derby called Status Fluid Power that regas saggy struts for a fraction of the price of new ones. Same day postal turnaround too - if you're nowhere near them !

I did not know about the sagging struts, until I read this thread, and I re-evaluated my struts and they too did not lift the hatch anymore (obviously the deterioation was gradual and progressive so did not notice it get worse).

Had them replaced under warranty and wow... what a difference, I don't have to lift the hatch up anymore, it springs up... and the groan noise has gone too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links