Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"key In Place" Beeper

Blue CC

Hi,

wife's 06 corolla beeps annoyingly whenever the key is left in the ignition and the door is opened which I consider to be designed to annoy (I cannot see any positive reason for this "warning"). :ffs: Please inform me if you view this feature to be useful.

In any case if you know of a method to disable this, can you please post ? :thumbsup:

I imagine the car is trying to tell you that you have left the vehicle (door open) but have forgotten to remove your keys. This has happened to me a couple of times and has actually been useful. So I wouldn't recommend trying to disable it.

You never know. If you disable it, get out of the car and forget your keys at a filling station your car might get nicked. Some insurance companies then try to avoid paying out in those circumstances. :huh: Disabling it can only help the insurance company's case :o

Just my views anyway.

Ok see the scenario Geoff, thanks for pointing out - some less acid in my stomach ;)

Still would disable if I find how to - the annoyance outways the risk for me :lol: so please anyone do post if you know how to disable. :thumbsup:

You're very welcome Blue CC but DaveSR and I seem to be of like mind. I don't know how to disable the warning sound and wouldn't want to try to find out how anyway for the reasons stated ;)

Why do you want to leave the key in ???

Whats the scenario that you have a problem with?

OK - Way of habit and convenience more than anything. Note in own driveway not on street.

Scenario 1. Open door, enter car, enter key in its place - important not to lose it and always in same place (beeping starts - door not closed yet) - things in my hand brought into the car still to distribute in various pockets / glove box etc. - Nice comfy elbow space with door still open and stuff in my hands. Now hands free - sitting comfy - can close door.

Scenario 2. Reverse scenario. Arrived at destination. switch off car but leave key in place. Open door - beeping starts - will soon have my hands full with stuff I carry out and cannot then open door. Pile things up - exit car, pull out key which I only need now to lock the car !!

Well that's the way I do it with my other car anyway.

Seems I have to change my practical sequence I have adopted over many years :yes:

lol i have the same annoying problem if im working on my car with the radio on. for a short team solution i get a screw driver and turn the door pin back 1 turn, this will disable door light also. i had my alarm company strip out the dash and they couldnt work out how to turn it off either.

.. i had my alarm company strip out the dash and they couldnt work out how to turn it off either.

:eek: Wouldn't go that far lol

Wouldn't recommend removing it as i think the same buzzer is used for the lights! and i think its also the same again for VSC (in the T Sports)

Your options as far as i can see would be to leave the car switched on when getting out then switch off when your gonna close the door!!! I think you can get away with it being on AUX position with door open and it won't beep!

Other than that buy a set of ear plugs, OR get a key chain attach it to your trousers and that way your key goes everywhere with you!

I imagine the car is trying to tell you that you have left the vehicle (door open) but have forgotten to remove your keys. This has happened to me a couple of times and has actually been useful. So I wouldn't recommend trying to disable it.

You never know. If you disable it, get out of the car and forget your keys at a filling station your car might get nicked. Some insurance companies then try to avoid paying out in those circumstances. :huh: Disabling it can only help the insurance company's case :o

Just my views anyway.

im sorry but who actualy does this anymore. i get out of car - key comes with me. there are thiefs everywhere waiting to get your car, why would you even consider leaving the key in the ignition even if you are just putting petrol in, let alone going into the shop to pay for it??????

Couldn't agree more but you'd be surprised if not shocked how many people do leave their keys in the car for all sorts of reasons! I find it mind boggling :blink: but there you are... .

.. i had my alarm company strip out the dash and they couldnt work out how to turn it off either.

:eek: Wouldn't go that far lol

i was havin my alarm fitted at the time so dash was apart anyway, i have remote start so i am forever leavin my lights on as when i get out of the car my engine is still runnin until i lock my car the it shuts off, but by that time my door is shut so the buzzer never sounds and then i get a flat Battery anyway! :ffs:

• 2 weeks later...

I park my car in the company garage where its dual parking (one car behind another) so I have to leave my key in the ignition so the other person (a trusted colleague) can move my car if he cant find me. The car park is heavily surveyed so I'm not worried about theft - but yea, I have to put up with the beeping.

In my opinion tho, the beeping really shouldn't be turned off, because it's only telling you that your keys are still in the ignition and your trying to leave the car. I'm sure my car (E12) auto locks if there is no one in the car also? perhaps only if i unlock the car and don't get in?? Besides, I also have to contend with my cd player beeping about its fascia - so hey!! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links