Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reprogramming The Computer?

dreamz

Is there anyway to make the onboard computer more accurate?

its well off

the range it gave was 120 - by journey's end it was 80 yet i'd only driven 20 miles!

i think the consumption is off aswell as avg consumption.

also on the 2.2 d4d tx3 if i was to put £10 of diesel and i got 60 miles out of it - is that considered good?

Is there anyway to make the onboard computer more accurate?

its well off

the range it gave was 120 - by journey's end it was 80 yet i'd only driven 20 miles!

i think the consumption is off aswell as avg consumption.

also on the 2.2 d4d tx3 if i was to put £10 of diesel and i got 60 miles out of it - is that considered good?

I find the avg consumption under reads on mine (47mpg usually equates to an actual 50 or so), but most find the opposite. The range is based on the recent consumption (don't now how recent), but if you had just done a longish run and the followed that with urban driving, you would find the range dropping dramatically.

£10=60 miles sounds poor, but it's not really anywhere near far enough to gauge consumption. The way to work it out yourself is to brim the tank, reset the trip, run it for a few weeks keeping all the fuel receipts and then brim the tank again and note the mileage reading. Miles divided by (total litres x 4.456) will give you the real mpg (don't count the first fill in your litres used, just all the others and the final fill).

bristol - will do that thansk :)

the whole 120 on dash but at the rate it was goin down was 2 dash miles equal 1 mile on the road

that was goin from urban to motorway!

and its not as if i floored the car to give it a low consumption or anything

god i'd love to get a fuel consumption of 47mpg

best i've got it i think is 38mpg

but if the comp is off then i guess that wud reason that

how would i correct it? since the car is within its first few weeks would toyota dealers do it for free?

bristol - will do that thansk :)

the whole 120 on dash but at the rate it was goin down was 2 dash miles equal 1 mile on the road

that was goin from urban to motorway!

and its not as if i floored the car to give it a low consumption or anything

god i'd love to get a fuel consumption of 47mpg

best i've got it i think is 38mpg

but if the comp is off then i guess that wud reason that

how would i correct it? since the car is within its first few weeks would toyota dealers do it for free?

I don't know if the dealers can re-program it or not, but I guess that they could replace the module under warranty if you found it was totally inaccurate. I would be surprised if it was anywhere near as low as 38mpg in normal mixed driving.

Incidentally, I do a 30 mile each way daily commute, 75% motorway. Accidentally zeroed the avg mpg yesterday when trying to change the clock :wacko: and, 3 gentle trips later, I now have a reading of 56mpg. It's the evening and weekend urban stuff that brings the mpg down!

I don't know if the dealers can re-program it or not, but I guess that they could replace the module under warranty if you found it was totally inaccurate. I would be surprised if it was anywhere near as low as 38mpg in normal mixed driving.

Incidentally, I do a 30 mile each way daily commute, 75% motorway. Accidentally zeroed the avg mpg yesterday when trying to change the clock :wacko: and, 3 gentle trips later, I now have a reading of 56mpg. It's the evening and weekend urban stuff that brings the mpg down!

yeah mine's the same i set off from home - a mile to the motorway - 15/20 on the motorway then another mile to work...

i might pop down the local dealer to see what can be done even though its not hte dealer the car was bought from...

Hi Guys,

I have just had my 2.2 T3-X Tourer for a week now. 06 Model. 10k on the clock.

The dealer I bought it from said that he has the hatch 2.2 T3-X and his mpg is always in the mid 40's despite the fact that he doesnt drive gently. The average reading on my mpg is 36-38 doing a similar retrn journey to you (10m motorway and 4m urban - each way). The instant mpg does go up to 60's 70s and 80's occasionally, but bring a slight incline and at 70mph it drops to early 30's. I really have to drive with my foot on eggs to get late 30's mpg. I have not yet completed a full tank of juice, so I dont know how the computer varies to the actual mpg. - I will let you know in another few hundred miles.

Do you folks have a general guid you expect from the major markers on your fuel guage? For example my previous laguna used to be 140m per quarter tank marker for the general combined trip mentioned above and driven normally without high regard for consumption.

To get the mid 40's mpg do you find you need to be constantly in 6th at 1k rpm trundling along like grandpa, or can you drive the car with a little "spirit"?

This mpg issue was one of my main concerns about the 2,2, but the dealer said the mid 30's on the average was due to small test drives locally. I have yet to drive it long enough to get me up into the 40's though and am concerned that either my computer is out or the actual mpg is lousy.

I filled the tank once the light came on and it only took 50 litres. Considering it is a 60l tank, than means I should have 10l remaining. My computer range said 40 miles left, but I suspect I should get much more on 10l than 40miles ?! - more like double that !

I would be very interested to hear your comments to my questions above.

Thanks again folks.

Regards

Shaun

ive had a problem with my trip computer never shows more than a 300 mile range with a full tank

and yet if i drive say 200 miles and refill do the maths and iam getting 47 mpg on a run

so the range should say around 600 miles.

car is going in on tue to have a new computer chip that controls the mpg and range (good old kings toyota in southampton) :thumbsup:

i have 3 new computers fitted and they have all over estimated my mpg. i dont bother with it now. i have a 2ltr diesel and normally get around 500 miles on a full tank. however, when i refill it always starts off with a 410mile range. when i get down to about 300 miles range it slows down the rate it changes to give me the 500miles or so i was expecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have finished my first tank of juice in my 2.2 Tourer having done almost 500 miles on a tank.

It seems to have done about 42 mpg calculated by ignoring the computer and using actual fuel levels. This tank inlcuded some "A" road runs and some daily road works traffic jams - therefore a fairly representative "combined" mpg I guess. I notice that the reserve light comes on when there is 10 litres left in the tank which effectively gives about 100 miles. Incidently, the computer readout was 40mpg average.

If that keeps up, and I do about 12000 miles a year, I rekon it will only cost me about £130 pa more than the 47mpg Mr T quotes - Not a substantial difference in those terms.

Suprisingly, though, I have found that if you are going up an incline, 5th gear is actually more economical than 6th, even at 70 mph. I think the "Momentary MPG" inidicator is a great teaching tool as to how you really drive and the minor adjustments you can make that dont effect your drive, but DO affect your mpg.

I seem to find a quicker burst of accelleration (20mpg) for a few seconds and then followed by light pedal cruising (60mpg) gets a better mpg than doddering up to speed at (38mpg). Also this is more pleasing to drive. - I might be wrong, but thats only my observation over a short period.

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links