Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Did The Toyota Dealer Cause My Windcreen To Crack?

kman1

Need your expert opinions on this. Just days after my Yaris went in for a leak repair to the nsf body (warranty issue) this very large unusual crack has appeared in the windscreen originating from the repaired nsf area.

Looking through the cowl the crack seems to line up exactly with bolt in the bulkhead, which looks like

it was removed and sealed. It look like some body seam sealant maybe contacting the windscreen also under the cowl. They have used a lot of body seam sealer all over the place

I've attached a couple of pictures. In my opinion this kind of fracture must have been caused by some element

of the repair i.e body sealant contamination or mishandling. There is no evidence of a stone chip. I feel the dealer should be responsible. Thoughts please!

docs008.jpg

docs006.jpg

I can see the dealer getting out of this as you have left the forecourt, had you have spotted it before you left you may of had a case.

You could get it independently inspected for damage under the trim, but that going to cost you, the bottom line is, contact your insurance get the screen replace and its going to cost you £60.00 excess.

I had damage to my bumper paint from Mr T jet washing my car when I had it serviced. I complained when I picked it up, but it was dismissed by the salesman as he said it was 'already coming off and it had already been repainted previously'.

I took photos and sent it to the main Toyota with a complaint letter attached. I had the bumper re-sprayed for nothing and an official apology.

I always handwash my car and I know there was no paint peel, but although I couldn't 'prove' it wasn't peeling before I dropped it in to the garage, Toyota did honour the repair.

I think it's worth sending those photos with a letter.

I had damage to my bumper paint from Mr T jet washing my car when I had it serviced. I complained when I picked it up, but it was dismissed by the salesman as he said it was 'already coming off and it had already been repainted previously'.

I took photos and sent it to the main Toyota with a complaint letter attached. I had the bumper re-sprayed for nothing and an official apology.

I always handwash my car and I know there was no paint peel, but although I couldn't 'prove' it wasn't peeling before I dropped it in to the garage, Toyota did honour the repair.

I think it's worth sending those photos with a letter.

I agree worth a go. I'll write to the manager of the dealership and toyota customer services. Does anybody know the adress of toyota customer services?

I would imagine you would've noticed a crack like that before you dropped it off!!!! :blink:

Address off the Toyota website:

Toyota (GB) PLC

PO Box 746

Sunderland

SR9 9XF

Good luck :thumbsup:

its not forced to have been there when you picked it up but they could have chipped it whilst doing the repair. then with the heater on or just driving it could have grown into the crack you see.

if there are no chips in the visable area of the screen along the crack i would put money on thta they have caused it. as for them to check it and make sure you're present when they do as then they cant 'cover anything up'

its not forced to have been there when you picked it up but they could have chipped it whilst doing the repair. then with the heater on or just driving it could have grown into the crack you see.

if there are no chips in the visable area of the screen along the crack i would put money on thta they have caused it. as for them to check it and make sure you're present when they do as then they cant 'cover anything up'

I've got another cracked screen on my other car and that was cused bya stone chip and that is obvious. There is no evidence of as tone chip in this case so I'm sure they have caused it. Well lets see what they say on Tuesday.

I know it's the whole principle of it, but for sheer less hassle, I would be tempted just to claim on the insurance.

I know it's the whole principle of it, but for sheer less hassle, I would be tempted just to claim on the insurance.

Initially I was fobbed off and they even tried to claim it was a microscopic chip that must have caused the crack. A quick letter to the general manager of the dealership and I receivd a message saying they will pay my glass insurance excess or replace the screen themselves. My preference is for them to replace it. Lets see if it happens.

Just came across this thread.

Interesting and a good result for you I think. So well done :thumbsup:

I had my Corolla seat covers replaced a while back and collected the car after dark so couldn't check anything. Next day I was very upset to discover a quite deep gouge in the passenger interior door plastic (the seats had to be removed to do the job so you get the picture!).

I went back to complain and the service manager was very sceptical (that 'your lying just to get something out of us' look). He asked the mechanic who did the job about it and the answer of course was that he didn't recall doing any damage. Given that my car is immaculate and I told him that I would know if I had a mark like that on my car and he wasn't getting away with telling me it was anyone other than the dealer he reluctantly agreed to replace the trim FOC!

So persistence can sometimes pay. I suspect quite a lot of cars suffer varying amounts of physical damage - from very tiny scratches to gouges and dents - when in a dealers for service/repair and many owners just don't check, ever notice or notice too late to argue. I know that some dealers take great care to cover up vunerable parts of a car during service etc but I suspect some don't or a particular mechanic doesn't on the day take sufficient care (as in removing my seats).

Initially I was fobbed off and they even tried to claim it was a microscopic chip that must have caused the crack. A quick letter to the general manager of the dealership and I receivd a message saying they will pay my glass insurance excess or replace the screen themselves. My preference is for them to replace it. Lets see if it happens.

Good going mate! :thumbsup: Glad the letter of complaint paid off. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links