Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Resonance

Amr1t

Engine Resonance

Hiya

I have owned my 1998 Toyota Avensis 1.8GLS for over 6years and up to the last few weeks has been fault free. The car has only covered 76000miles!

Between 1600-2000 there is a lot of engine resonance particular when revving or changing gear through this rpm range. The engine also seems to be sucking air from somewhere as there is an excessive air sucking noise from the engine especially around the fan belt area (the opposite side to where the air filter is located!!!).

I have replaced the air filter and checked all sparks plugs to ensure they are secure. I have also dismantled all air hoses and checked for leaks/crack but found everything was perfect

The car still drives like new but everything rattles at these rpms only.

Any ideas? – please help

Engine Resonance

Hiya

I have owned my 1998 Toyota Avensis 1.8GLS for over 6years and up to the last few weeks has been fault free. The car has only covered 76000miles!

Between 1600-2000 there is a lot of engine resonance particular when revving or changing gear through this rpm range. The engine also seems to be sucking air from somewhere as there is an excessive air sucking noise from the engine especially around the fan belt area (the opposite side to where the air filter is located!!!).

I have replaced the air filter and checked all sparks plugs to ensure they are secure. I have also dismantled all air hoses and checked for leaks/crack but found everything was perfect

The car still drives like new but everything rattles at these rpms only.

Any ideas? – please help

Hi,

If, as you have indicated the engine is not lacking in normal performance, and the sound is emanating from the auxiliary side of the cylinder block, it may be worthwhile removing the Ancillary Belt - and checking the Belt for de'lamination, also rotate and check the - Water-pump Bearings, - Tensioner Bearings, - Idler Bearings, could be resonating at specific RPMs. A de'laminating Belt could conceivable sound like "Sucking Air" -------- Worth a try if all els has failed.-----------------

Good Luck, ............. Dave.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links