Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Upgrading.

Jamesb4uk

I've been debating upgrading my Celica for a while now - just not enough room for the family, the kids always moan about lack of room in the back :rolleyes:

I've got my eye on a 1992 Surf SSR-X

She has 81,000 KMS on the clock & a new cylinder head and Cam belt done at the last service.

I've done a bit of research on them & a bit worried about an engine problem that seems to be a common issue. Not to sure what the problem is though can anyone shed some light on it?

Apart from that she looks a minter - are there any other problems i should look out for?

Also are there any Surf owners that would be willing to come with me to view the car in Southend?

J

• 3 weeks later...

the 2.4 cylinder head was known to crack between cylinders. A new head plus labour is in excess of 1100 quid. 81000 kms seems a bit early for a head failure also.

the 3.0 td like mine however has not been reported to have this issue. The 3.0 is much more powerfull and torquey at 136 bhp its no slouch,the 2.4 is about 97 bhp .The 2.4 relies on mechanicals , where as the 3.0 relies on electronics to make it shift , the timing belt on the 3.0 is a doddle to change also , the 2.4 belt is a nightmare. fuel comsumption on the 3.0 is around 25mpg 2.4 a little better but not alot. I run veg oil with my derv at 50 p a litre it helps keep running costs down.

• 1 month later...
the 2.4 cylinder head was known to crack between cylinders. A new head plus labour is in excess of 1100 quid. 81000 kms seems a bit early for a head failure also.

the 3.0 td like mine however has not been reported to have this issue. The 3.0 is much more powerfull and torquey at 136 bhp its no slouch,the 2.4 is about 97 bhp .The 2.4 relies on mechanicals , where as the 3.0 relies on electronics to make it shift , the timing belt on the 3.0 is a doddle to change also , the 2.4 belt is a nightmare. fuel comsumption on the 3.0 is around 25mpg 2.4 a little better but not alot. I run veg oil with my derv at 50 p a litre it helps keep running costs down.

If you look on other dedicated surf forums, you will find quite a number of 3.0ltr's with cracked heads, it's not just a 2.4 problem, but does seem to be more prevelant in this country, as aposed to Aus or USA, and they have far more extreme temps and put some serious milage on their vehicles ( like 400,000 kms), although they do seem to spend more time and money on maintenance than either the Brits or the !Removed!.

Try www.hiluxsurf.co.uk for info.

I think the forum is down at the moment butkeep trying, when it's up and runninig, it's a mine of info.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links