Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

18" Wheels Under A C1

guidom15

No, it doesn't look good at all. Not only will they rub like mad but they'll slow the car down really badly. Fifteens are the way to go; period.

No, it doesn't look good at all. Not only will they rub like mad but they'll slow the car down really badly. Fifteens are the way to go; period.

I agree. I've tried 16" and 15" and have settled on a set of lightweight 15" wheels.

Bigger is not always better, especially when it comes to wheels.

Thanks, Timcrasher, for being another voice of reason on this diameter-obsessed forum. Mine's on lightweight 15s too – no rubbing, stack loads of grip on 195/45s, and no compromises to the car's performance. If you saw me buzz around Silverstone circuit at JTS on Sunday you'll have spotted my little red Aygo overtaking a Skyline GTS-T and an Integra Type-R.

I kid you not.

Thanks, Timcrasher, for being another voice of reason on this diameter-obsessed forum. Mine's on lightweight 15s too – no rubbing, stack loads of grip on 195/45s, and no compromises to the car's performance. If you saw me buzz around Silverstone circuit at JTS on Sunday you'll have spotted my little red Aygo overtaking a Skyline GTS-T and an Integra Type-R.

I kid you not.

I would love to have seen that. It seems Aygo's can be quite a supercar slayer. I have just returned from the Nordschleife, and had a ball over taking everything from GTI's, to Aston Martin DB7's ( my mate ), and even a few badly ridden superbikes.

I lost out somewhat on the straights, but I nearly ran into them on anything resembling a turn. :yahoo:

Like Mr. Mainwarring used to say, " They don't like it up 'em "

• 2 years later...

I've just done the same here, gone smaller, by replacing BSA Horus 16x7 ET37 and 205/40 Yokohama Parada tyres with 6.5x15 ET40 Rota Slipstream and 195/45 Federal 595 and the advantages are

1) They weigh 2.5kg less per corner, so 10kg less in total.

2) The ride is a lot better now due to the loss of weight and higher, more squishy sidewall

3) They don't rub on full lock.

Disadvantages

1) To me they don't look as good as my old wheels

2) Absolute grip will not be as high in the dry

3) Now have a large gap between wheel and wheelarch.

The latter will soon be cured by Eibach lowering springs in conjunction with Koni Sports shock absorbers.

aywh2.jpg

aywh1.jpg

I had very good service from revolution247 to get the wheels, very prompt email answering and then delivery, better than the service I got from Rochford tyres ( alloywheels.com) for the earlier wheels.

Regards

Andy

I guess Avensis Verso didn't fit so they put Rota instead ? ;)

Do you really drive along in an Avensis Verso ? How do you see out when wearing the brown paper bag so nobody can recognise you?

Regards

Andy

Dont see why people have problems with Rota...Got ****** off with the Honda scene because of people slating them so much, dont see the problem really!

Can understand why 15"s are better performance wise but for looks would go with a 16".

I have 17"s on my IQ purely because of looks...am tempted to do a track day or the Toyota Sprint Series some day and would probably down size for better performance to 16"s but for now im happy with the 17"s lol

I have 17"s on my IQ purely because of looks...am tempted to do a track day or the Toyota Sprint Series some day and would probably down size for better performance to 16"s but for now im happy with the 17"s lol

Do it do it do it :D

Woodbridge next weekend is going to be great and there is just time to get an entry in B)

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

People have problems because they are brand snobs and they are not made in the USA or Germany, Italy or Japan SallIQ. I do agree with you though that the 16's look better but to be honest for the Aygo smaller and lighter are the best and we can't all budget for forged wheels yet.

Having just come back from a holiday in Devon I can happily say the Rota's did not crumble or burst into flames and did not even fall off even though I put them on myself RX-Men-8 :P

One problem though, one night we did try and get 5 people weighing 50 stone home from the pub with the only sober person driving only to find the standard springs had too much static sag and the rear torsion beam lodged against the aftermarket exhaust. We need to lose a few pounds I guess, luckily we had a Golf to hand. I'll let you know how the Eibach springs and Koni dampers go when they are fitted a week Saturday.

Regards

Andy

I'm sorry, please regard my post with the badly spelled t-shirt as entertainment, not fact ;)

On an Aygo for normal road use why would anything go wrong with the wheels anyway - nothing like the horror pics you find on google images - all related to high powered track (ab)use.

Rota have nice designs, especially for Japanese cars. I do prefer the look of those 18's though :) I'd sacrifice some comfort for that ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links