Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Binding

ToyotaLreg

Hello chaps,

My baby failed the MOT due to Binding brakes. My mechanic said, the front both brakes are binding, just to cross check him, I took her to ATS, those goodfellas confirmed it. Got quoted £300 to fix it. Hence my decision to ride my bike and sort the brakes myself in the mean time and get MOTed.

Any help on this issue please, may be a step by step guide and I can go back and try things myself and report back.

I am fairly confident about these sorts of work so dont worry about my safety. Only need someone experienced/knowledged to guide through, please.

Thanks in advance.

(Carina E Executive, 1998 cc, yr-1993, petrol)

See this:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56738

On point 10 you will see the tip of the backing plate for the pad. When you take you existing pads out pay particular attention to this area. if it cruds up you get the same symptoms as brakes binding.

Also point 19. Working the pistons in and out a couple of time may free any stiffness.

It worked for me when I had problems last year.

Thanks for your reply.

While I was waiting for this, I opened the brake calipers thought will spray the calipers, rotor and the pads with some sort of brake cleaning spray. I took the calipers out, pumped a slight brake to see if there is any sort of movement in the piston and used a c-clamp to push it back in. I tried this a few times, back and forth, but at one point the piston became stuck. At this point i thought I have pushed the piston too far, it was so bad that any amount of force wouldnt push it back. So thought if its not going in lets push it out. So pumped the brake until the piston popped out. Very happy at this point. Some fluid came out. Cleaned everything. Opened the bleed valve and pushed the piston back in, this forced the air out of it. Applied the brakes again until fluid started to come out of the bleed. Fitted everything back on.

Stared the car, and AN EXCLAIMATORY SIGN on the dashboard came on. I know this is is something to do with the brakes. Also when I turn the key just befor the ignition, I can hear three clicks on the side of the same wheel. Does anyone know whats happening. I can I still drive with this sign on ((!)).

Also when I pop opened the piston, shouldnt the fluid have oozed out of it spontaneously?

Cheers.

Thanks, I shall check that.

I think I have a phenomenol thing to learn. I cant understand, once we apply the brakes, the piston pushes the brake pads which in turn grabs the rotor thereby stopping it. So what exactly happens as we release the brake pedal. Certainly there are no springs to push back the piston? So does this mean the pads are always in contact with the rotor? Why doesnt every car suffer from brake binding then why only mine?

Tha.

Thanks Callyboy,

That worked! :thumbsup:

I think when I pop opened the caliper piston, I lost some brake fluid at that point.

I am still lost about this 'binding' phenomenon though.

The brakes works as this. When you apply the brakes you bush some oil out to the calipers and the pistons ar emoving. When you release the brakes you surge back the oil and also the pistons in the calipers. It is a sytem filled with oil and the only thing you do with the brakepedal is moving the oil back and forth to make the pistons in the calipers move.

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links