Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

About To Order T-spirit Prius - Ipa & Dab Qs

TJD

Greetings all

For years I have had cars with parking sensors on the back which beep when about to hit something, and am now used to it. I can't find anything which tells me if the IPA does this - or if I need to get the parking sensors added as an extra in order to retain this function.

Additionally, does anyone know if there is a way to get a DAB radio in the Prius?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

TJD - forum newbie!

JTD

I have the Toyota prius T spirit with IPA after having an avensis with rear parking sensors. Having used both systems I can enlighten you to a few things.

The IPA in the Prius uses a camera mounted near the rear number plate which comes on when you select reverse and you get a nice picture of the rear view. When selected you can also have grid lines yellow and red. A word of caution the rear niew is very wide angle and it looks that you have lots of room but it will rapidly decrease as you move backwards. My rule of thumb is that the red warning line is the rear of the car. Just to confuse you the Prius emits a warning beep inside the car to advise the driver that he/she is in reverse. It has the same tone as the parking sensors beeper. It ain;t half confusing when you first get the car as you go backwards and the beeping tone doesn't change, until you you hit something and then it still beeps until N or D is selected. As for the Inetliigent park it takes so long to set up its quicker to park using convential means Look and judge. Bottom line use the camera view with caution but always check with your eyes looking rear wards and checking the wing mirrors.

If you want rear sesnor parking as well I believe they are an add on accesseory but it will cost from Mr T. (>£380) My local dealer told me several customers have had both systems fitted.

The toyota user manual for the IPA is very good and easy to understand, not like the sat nav!

hope this helps

Brilliant info - thanks. The order - with the parking sensors - is now placed. I hope that they coordinate the beeps, or that I can learn the subtle differences between the beeps for reverse, the beeps from the sensor, the beeps from the camera, the beeps telling me that my spagetti bolognese is ready (I am assuming that the car does that for you too! ;) ) ...but if I write back on this site asking for assistance to remove dents from the back of a Prius, you will know that I got it wrong!

Thanks again.

TJD

I've had rear parking sensors for free when I haggled for it back in '05.

Always haggle when buying new - worth a try and you may get lots of freebies.

Does floor mats come free now? I had to haggle to get that free too else cost 50 quid.

I had a DAB radio fitted in my wife's Aygo - it was an extra little box that sits on the dashboard and feeds through the Aux. To be honest, reception is poor except in the centre of town but it is useful at times. Called a Revo, if you are interested. I actually bought mine from a Toyota dealer and my dealer fitted it.

About to order a Prius myself as sick of Mercedes A class quality - though not design. Shame Toyota don't make it!

Well just back from test drive and have ordered a red T-Spirit. Decided against leather as it made the cabin a little dark. Negotiated £1000 discount + 3 years servicing and mats. Will now have 3 Toyotas!

Of course! :thumbsup: Have changed my mind and gone for the leather interior as well! Just drove the Camry today for the first time in a while and the leather is still wonderful after 14 years. Not sure cloth would be!

Cloth in mine is just fine after 3.5 yrs except for the centre console where the cloth pulled away at the front. Got a new one under warranty.

Enjoy you car, I do.

• 9 months later...
Of course! :thumbsup: Have changed my mind and gone for the leather interior as well! Just drove the Camry today for the first time in a while and the leather is still wonderful after 14 years. Not sure cloth would be!

Excellent Peter@B, A) I think red is probably the best Prius colour around. Also "B)" Leather is a real differentiator, which you will appreciate every day but also when u come to sell.

As regards Beeps, I don't have IPA but I find it crazy how "chatty" the car is. I mean, maybe (just maybe) warn me on all the niggling things but PLEASE not the same infernal beeper...for Door Open, Then Put on Seat Belt, then Reversing etc As others have posted...what is the value of warning the driver he is reversing..er..given they selected the gear, be assured they will know...and the irritating beep won't help the small child you are about to reverse over as it's inaudible outside of the car....

Still a semi minor niggle in the scheme of things.

Wish I had leather. The fabric upholstery is very impractical for those of us living in the muddy country with dogs (okay if u live in a minimalist apartment in a clean urban area!!).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links