Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With Handling

eddiexflatts

Please can somebody help me improve the handling of my car, I have a 1999 Yaris 1.0 vvti.

I'm think of putting some alloys or lowering the car but I don't know were to start.

I got some alloys but they didn't fit so I got rid.

Any input wud be appreciatedhttp :thumbsup:

Cheers

Eddie B)

Handling? Easy one that :thumbsup:

Having lower profile tyres will help. 185/55/15 or 195/50/15 (T Sport size) with an offset of 38 will help a lot, and maybe a stiffer suspension. You could go lower as well. The experts will be along shortly with all the details you need.

What size wheels did you have that didn’t fit?

basically it depends how much you want to change it and how much you got

high price go for coilovers/strutbraces £600/£700ish

medium go for suspention kit with new shocks and strut braces £400ish

cheap ish go new springs ruffly 30mm-40mm drop is good enough £100

also change your wheels like TVOR said also if you lower it you could get wheel spacers put on it so its low and wise which will help more aswell

hope this helps

Handling? Easy one that :thumbsup:

Having lower profile tyres will help. 185/55/15 or 195/50/15 (T Sport size) with an offset of 38 will help a lot, and maybe a stiffer suspension. You could go lower as well. The experts will be along shortly with all the details you need.

What size wheels did you have that didn’t fit?

I think you'll find the standard Tsport size is 185/55/R15 and the standard SR being 195/50/R15. Best bet for handling would be a set of Tein lowering springs, and some strut braces (usually OMP). These are both cheap and easy mods that have proven results. :thumbsup:

The next person that thinks spacers improve handling i will personally shoot. They are for filling out crappy big arches with ill-fitting wheels. They offer reduced stability and seriously increase the flex between the wheel and the hub. Also, there is less thread to screw the nut onto, hence more wheel-wobble, which equals less contact most of the time and therefore greatly reduced handling.

Best bet if on the cheap is low profile tyres (doesn't matter about alloys, they don't save that much weight on a yaris unless you get some japanese ultra-light rims) springs (tein are best) and a rear upper strut-brace (OMP is best here)

Altogether if bought new:

Tyres (say toyo t1r's) : £160 fitted

Springs : £200 fitted

Strut brace : £25

£385 in total. Bargain for the difference it makes.

The next person that thinks spacers improve handling i will personally shoot. They are for filling out crappy big arches with ill-fitting wheels. They offer reduced stability and seriously increase the flex between the wheel and the hub. Also, there is less thread to screw the nut onto, hence more wheel-wobble, which equals less contact most of the time and therefore greatly reduced handling.

Thats the rubbish spacers though mate as hubcentric spacers bolt into the existing mounting points and then you bolt into the spacer so you dont get the wobble you are on about. Therefore you would get greater stability if you where spacing wheels that already had the right offset so you increase the track width of the vehicle. However by spacing them you move them beyond the arches so it looks gash! Also i think there was a disadvantage about wider track to do with making the car less nimble? Therefore although increasing stability you may not actually increase overall handling? There is no advantage in spacing the incorrect offset wheel to fit the arches over already correct offset wheels though obviously!

On a Yaris, spacing the fronts would cause a lot of unnecessary understeer, the rears wouldn't cause too much of a problem except that it looks gash.

Spacers are only for looks, they are not for handling.

The easiest way above all to improve handling is to fit better tyres.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to lower my Yaris, but i don't know where to start. I'm looking to change springs and shocks, because i've heard that the original shocks can wear out with non-standard springs.

Shocks should be fine on a drop of less than 40mm, a few people have gone for things like Tein springs and then combined them with Koni dampers and reckon that its a good set-up, but tbh I had just Tein springs on and have just took them off and fitted some Tein coilovers and I couldnt tell the difference between them, apart from the fact I could lower the ride height.

What springs would people reccomend, i've looked at avo (also helps there based in n'pton!) but are there any others i would be looking for a drop of 35mm.

Thanks.

depends on how far u lower it

some cars can take 30mm some 40mm some even 50mm

once your down over 40 ur pushin it tho

im pretty sure yaris are 40mm max before uprating the shocks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links