Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

S And X Reg Avensis

campioni06

Hello all, I own an X reg 1.8 vvti Avensis. Last weekend drove my girlfriends dads' S reg 1.8 pre-vvti and I was amazed at the difference. Both are autos, on approx 40k, and are regularly services yet the old S reg seemed to have more power. Plus the S reg seemed to have way better grip and road holding and seemed to sit a bit higher on the road. Was it just my imagination or are the older ones better to drive? Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Hello all, I own an X reg 1.8 vvti Avensis. Last weekend drove my girlfriends dads' S reg 1.8 pre-vvti and I was amazed at the difference. Both are autos, on approx 40k, and are regularly services yet the old S reg seemed to have more power. Plus the S reg seemed to have way better grip and road holding and seemed to sit a bit higher on the road. Was it just my imagination or are the older ones better to drive? Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Check the torque curve for the two engines.

The VVTi doesn't kick in until quite a way up the rev range. Its around 4000rpm on the 1.6 lump at which point the power delivery is greater. Most people will have changed up at around 3000-3500 unless they are going for it.

The lean burn pre VVTi engine senses your throttle settings and if you floor it from the off it will give you more fuel hence the earlier power delivery. (If you press it, hold/back off a tiny bit and then press it again it goes like stink !! and so does the fuel :) )

other differences could be as simple as

tightness of wheel bearings

tyre width/profile

age of tyres

alloys versus steel rims

brake pad/shoe clearance

amount of fuel on board

level of oil in sump

Thanks for your reply Penfold. I understand the points you've made apart from the bit about wheel bearings. I have absolutely no idea what they do if there's a brief explanation I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply Penfold. I understand the points you've made apart from the bit about wheel bearings. I have absolutely no idea what they do if there's a brief explanation I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Wheel bearings are the bearing which allows the hub (brake disc and wheel/tyre to spin round.

If the wheel bearing is worn then it allows the wheel to move off its axis slighty, (Wobbley wheels) it upsets handeling and fails MOT

I loved my dads old Sreg 1.8 the we both got the 1.8 vvti and now i have a 2.0 vvti.

The only way i can tell the differnce with handeling is with tyres!

Funnily enough my girlfriend drove my X reg last week and agreed it was a totally different drive to her dads S reg.

Think I've sussed it. Mine has a Made in Britain sticker on the windscreen, her dads doesnt. Could it be totally different build techniques and settings between British build and Japan build?

There both made in the UK, if you don't believe me, check your vin number, they'll both start SB. The pre-vvti ones were IMO better particuarly the engines which were much smoother, the old 2.0 was a gem.

As James correctly points out, both cars were made in the same plant here in the UK. The facelift Avensis does have a slightly different suspention setup & sits lower to the ground, which could account for the road holding & maybe a slightly harsher ride, grip however will probably be down to the choice of tyres. I drive a 2002 facelift Avensis Saloon with 16" wheels & I have to say it holds the road very well using Dunlop SP01 tyres. Engine wise the old lean burn 7A-FE is a totally different unit to the VVTi which provides most of it's tourque at lower RPM whereas the VVTi is more at the top end, causing more noise & again reducing that 'laid back' feel you probably get driving the pre-facelift.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links