Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Mil On - Gray Import Newbie

CMC_MLT

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to read off the DTC codes on a year 2000 Vtiz (yaris) by shorting pins on the diagnostic socket and counting the engine mil flashes?

I can't find anywhere info as to which pins need to be sorted

usually te1 and e1.

Hi,

Problem is I've got a 16 pin socket below the dashboad which is completly unlabelled and I can't find a pin-out drawing to identify TE1 and E1. The only pin-outs I found are for older versions with the diagnostics socket inside the engine bay and that socket is completly different design. Some articles quote this type of socket as being of the ODB II type for which an appropriate scanner is absolutely necessary while others say there's an "intermediate" type using ODB I software and the 16pin connector whch allows the "manual" code reading procedure.

The actual problem is that at random intervals the engine mil lights up and says on during driving. Engine drivability is normal, no anomalies note there. If I switch off the engine and re-start the mil goes off as if nothing happened.

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Encountered a guy at a meet of souped cars who sketched me the following procedure, beware, haven't tested it yet so at your own risk guys. If anyone can confirm on this I'd be grateful.

With ignition switch ON short terminals 13 to 4 & read from engine mil flashes. Socket layout below.

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 |

| 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 |

|___________________|

Tested shorting pins 13 & 4 as above (by the way the wide side of the D socket is on the lower side of my earlier sketch).

Read off code 25 from the engine mil flashes in the dasboard, corresponding to lean mixture running conditions.

Next went to a garage equiped with diagnostics reader. Didn't tell the guy anything about having read off the code manually.

Same type of error was read by the garage. The guy said it's a typical false alarm of the 1SZ-FE engine management. Notwithstanding ths he also noted that when running the diagnostics tool and revving the engine he saw that the MAF sensor was, as he put it, "tired". He didn't recommed to chenge it or clean it just now but told me to wait and see if the frequency of the engine mil comming on increases or untill it stays on. In my case dirving conditionds seem not to be effected.

Is it really a common false alarm, this lean mixture error? I saw a couple of threads which ended up with MAF cleaning advise but I'd like to know if any of you guys have had similar experiences

Eninge Malfunction Indicator Lamp, also known as the check engine lamp, shows up orange on your dashboard and looks like a small engine viewed from the broadside

Eninge Malfunction Indicator Lamp, also known as the check engine lamp, shows up orange on your dashboard and looks like a small engine viewed from the broadside

Oh right! thanks :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Took off the MAF sensor and cleaned it using contact cleaner spraying directly onto the air temp sensor and onto the hot wire anemometer itself. Engin worked perfectly after re-assembly and is stil running OK.

Engine light hasn't ccmeon again since this.

Many thanks to the guys who posted info how to clean the maf sesor.

Noe also that while reading off the DTC code through mil flashes, the ABS indicator lamp was also flashing, but continuously blinking presumably showing staus ok & noe error codes to report - would be interestng to obtain a lis of ABS truble codes for reference

Didnt know you could read codes by counting flashes!!

Glad you got it sorted mate, its amazing how many problems that dam MAF sensor causes!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links