Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Auto Express Review

Jock Fran

About time someone woke up and smelt the tarmac. Must see if I can find this report online.

There you go. Just what OldSk01 and I have been saying for a while.

T180 - Diesel Rocket

The link is dead :(

Apologies can't get the link to work. so here is the article.

31 August 2007

A POWERFUL TOY

The Auris flagship is a serious piece of kit, writes BILL CAVEN, which may be why it takes a 'professional' to fully appreciate it

Bill Caven

LET'S face it: you can't be right all the time ... unless you are the person who signs my expenses.

And that's why I like to get a second opinion on a car from time to time.

On this occasion the car in question was the Toyota Auris, the British-built replacement for the Corolla.

But, as they say in the M&S telly adverts, this was no ordinary Auris - this was the flagship T180 model.

And also, this wasn't your average oil-burner - this was the most powerful diesel car in its class.

Now, my colleague Felix was the first to be given the opportunity to try it out and give me his impressions.

What I didn't realise, though, was that he doesn't know a steering wheel from a spare wheel.

And when I mentioned "bhp", he thought I was talking about some dodgy political party.

At that point, I realised I needed to resort to plan B, so I decided to get a female perspective on the sporty hatch instead.

After I carefully explained to Fiona how the stop-start ignition button works, she went off for a spin.

Sadly, it lasted all of 100ft.

Having pulled up at a junction just outside the Record's headquarters, she stalled the Auris. And then she had a "blonde moment" and couldn't remember how to start the car up again.

After several minutes, during which much beeping of horns from the queue that was building up behind her didn't help to jog her memory, a kind patrolman from the AA came to the maiden's rescue.

But by then she was not in any mood to further explore the virtues of the Auris.

So, I'm afraid you'll just have to trust my judgement on the T180 and believe me when I say that it offers spectacular performance, incredible fuel economy and is amazingly spacious for a small family hatchback.

Tucked under the bonnet of the T180 is the ultra-clean 2.2-litre D-4D engine, which develops a healthy 175bhp.

One of the most advanced diesels on the market today, it provides the Auris with wicked pace, as you can tell from its 0-62mph sprint time of 8.1 seconds.

At the same time, the car will comfortably notch up 45 miles to the gallon.

Mated to a super-smooth six-speed manual gearbox, the T180 is a real joy to drive. It does everything you would expect from a sports hatch ... and a whole lot more.

The steering is razor-sharp and the Toyota grips the road surface as if its very life depended on it.

Tackling tight hairpin bends and twisty country roads is an absolute joy as the car sticks rigidly to the task in hand.

Being the flagship version, this £18,395 head-turner is lavishly equipped.

Smart 17-inch alloys and smoked glass headlamps give it a distinct, sporty look.

Other standard features include dual-zone climate control, cruise control, automatic wipers and headlights, and a CD sound system.

Factfile: Model: Toyota Auris T180 Engine: 2.2-litre diesel Power: 175bhp Top speed: 130mph 0-62mph: 8.1 seconds Fuel economy: 45.6mpg combined Warranty: Three years/60,000 miles Price: From £18,395 On sale: Now

UNQUOTE

Apologies can't get the link to work. so here is the article.

31 August 2007

A POWERFUL TOY

The Auris flagship is a serious piece of kit, writes BILL CAVEN, which may be why it takes a 'professional' to fully appreciate it

Bill Caven

LET'S face it: you can't be right all the time ... unless you are the person who signs my expenses.

And that's why I like to get a second opinion on a car from time to time.

On this occasion the car in question was the Toyota Auris, the British-built replacement for the Corolla.

But, as they say in the M&S telly adverts, this was no ordinary Auris - this was the flagship T180 model.

And also, this wasn't your average oil-burner - this was the most powerful diesel car in its class.

Now, my colleague Felix was the first to be given the opportunity to try it out and give me his impressions.

What I didn't realise, though, was that he doesn't know a steering wheel from a spare wheel.

And when I mentioned "bhp", he thought I was talking about some dodgy political party.

At that point, I realised I needed to resort to plan B, so I decided to get a female perspective on the sporty hatch instead.

After I carefully explained to Fiona how the stop-start ignition button works, she went off for a spin.

Sadly, it lasted all of 100ft.

Having pulled up at a junction just outside the Record's headquarters, she stalled the Auris. And then she had a "blonde moment" and couldn't remember how to start the car up again.

After several minutes, during which much beeping of horns from the queue that was building up behind her didn't help to jog her memory, a kind patrolman from the AA came to the maiden's rescue.

But by then she was not in any mood to further explore the virtues of the Auris.

So, I'm afraid you'll just have to trust my judgement on the T180 and believe me when I say that it offers spectacular performance, incredible fuel economy and is amazingly spacious for a small family hatchback.

Tucked under the bonnet of the T180 is the ultra-clean 2.2-litre D-4D engine, which develops a healthy 175bhp.

One of the most advanced diesels on the market today, it provides the Auris with wicked pace, as you can tell from its 0-62mph sprint time of 8.1 seconds.

At the same time, the car will comfortably notch up 45 miles to the gallon.

Mated to a super-smooth six-speed manual gearbox, the T180 is a real joy to drive. It does everything you would expect from a sports hatch ... and a whole lot more.

The steering is razor-sharp and the Toyota grips the road surface as if its very life depended on it.

Tackling tight hairpin bends and twisty country roads is an absolute joy as the car sticks rigidly to the task in hand.

Being the flagship version, this £18,395 head-turner is lavishly equipped.

Smart 17-inch alloys and smoked glass headlamps give it a distinct, sporty look.

Other standard features include dual-zone climate control, cruise control, automatic wipers and headlights, and a CD sound system.

Factfile: Model: Toyota Auris T180 Engine: 2.2-litre diesel Power: 175bhp Top speed: 130mph 0-62mph: 8.1 seconds Fuel economy: 45.6mpg combined Warranty: Three years/60,000 miles Price: From £18,395 On sale: Now

UNQUOTE

There is an awful lot of "Journalistic padding" in that review.......................I wonder if he really drove the car at all............or did he just clone it from a Toyota press release ;)

(It certainly is NOT a full road test :( )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links