Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Auto Express Review

Jock Fran

This week's Auto Express has a test of the T180 vs a Megane DCi 175.

They got 0-60 in 9.8.

30-70 in 9.4.

Did they do the tests with the handbrake on? On an ice rink maybe? The braking distances seem about right for dry conditions (70-0 in around 50m).

Why would the performance figures be so slow?!?

This week's Auto Express has a test of the T180 vs a Megane DCi 175.

They got 0-60 in 9.8.

30-70 in 9.4.

Did they do the tests with the handbrake on? On an ice rink maybe? The braking distances seem about right for dry conditions (70-0 in around 50m).

Why would the performance figures be so slow?!?

Is this test online available ?

and if so, can you supply a link ? :thumbsup:

Thnxs,

It might be a couple of weeks before it's online. The magazine isn't actually out until tomorrow!

When it does make it online it'll be here.

'The Independent' had a review this week here.

Summary: " Anyway, apart from the rolling around bit, the Auris acquits itself well. It's refined, not as quick as it ought to be, and very easy to drive. Just like every Corolla ever was."

Andy

I personnally do not like the Auto Express report which I've just read. Firstly the T180 is not a hot hatch and is not designed by Toyota to be one. Yes it does not corner like a sports car but it is fast. I do not know where they got their figures from for both speed and MPG but they should use my car. Unfortunately I cannot back up my figures with accurate timings but 0-60 is close to eight. Average very high speed driving is 37mpg and at legal speeds 44mpg is normal. And I know what my top speed has been.

I don't understand how they got the performance stuff. The Megane came out pretty slow aswell, but it doesn't say they were tested in the wet (which it normally would) and the braking distances definately aren't done in the wet!

Don't forget the MPG figures include all the track time and performance measuring so they're always awful. Autocar do a much better one which is a "touring MPG" alongside the overall test MPG, where they measure it over a set test route driving properly.

I don't know if they were stoned or drunk or both when they wrote that article but there is no way in hell an Auris is that slow, I mean my wife has a BMW 318CI 2.0L Petrol which pushes around 160BHP and that gets to 60 faster than 10s, couple that with the Auris' lower weight and the much higher torque output I disagree with those figures.

I don't know if they were stoned or drunk or both when they wrote that article but there is no way in hell an Auris is that slow, I mean my wife has a BMW 318CI 2.0L Petrol which pushes around 160BHP and that gets to 60 faster than 10s, couple that with the Auris' lower weight and the much higher torque output I disagree with those figures.

Just chip the T180 with Ptronic chip and mount the TTE lowering springs & all your troubles are gone :thumbsup:

I like like to review this config :rolleyes:

Autoexpress really write some rubbish and their facts are never correct - i wouldn't listen to anything they say, possibly the worst out of all motoring magazines --- and this is not an overreaction at them for writing a report like that about my car.

Last night on the way home from work i had an acceleration run with an Octavia VRS petrol where i was behind him. My T180 was quite honestly glued to his rear for as long as it was legally allowed until we stopped. I have done the same with an VW EOS TFSI another car "sporting" the the Golf GTI's engine. I actually followed a Porsche Boxter on an overtake of several cars and i realised the T180 isn't really that much slower - granted the Porsche was increasing the gap but only slowly; that day i annoyed the Boxster driver i think i damaged his ego as he had to proove he was quicker by overtaking a very large number of cars on the same road - which i didnt follow. Auto express reviewed the VRS in Jan and their performance times were also incorrect making it appear quicker than the actual figures.

The only car that has yet to make me realise it is in a different league was trying to run with a TVR Tuscan - the gap really did increase running against that. It reminded me of when i was in my standard T3 corolla years ago following something like a GTI onto a dual carriageway.

With regards to the handling, i've driven some challenging roads around the peak district and it was one of the things loved about the T180 was its smooth ride and the way it glided around corners - this in comparison to something like a type-r which is hard but easily confident. Thing is i dont plan on pushing my car around bends because its extremely dangerous and i dont fancy getting wrapped around a tree any time soon.

On that note the T180 VSC is superb. I tested a normal Auris for its cornering ability on a test area and at a certain speed and angle in a T3 Auris you loose it and go sideways into a skid. Do the same in a T180 and the car will stay right on course without any hint of oversteer - due the VSC braking the wheels to keep you on track.

And lastly in relation to that review - would i spend around 18k on a Renault... Would i hell!

...also if they love the Type-R's so much they shouldn't underrate the T180's power. My T180 with 3k miles on the clock was pulling away from a type-r today on a run uphill on a dual carridgeway with type-r following. Thing is when the type-r's cam kicks in it does gain at which point its gear change time and the torque and max HP widened the gap again. But i would admit that if we carried on past 70 i reckon it would eventually eb infront with the power cam through the gears - in reality nothing much in it.

Its been with the type-r, compressor, CTS's, Oct.VRS, VAG 2.0tdi's, GTI's, scoobie WRX and nothings quicker other than the WRX because the turbo in that thing is great / and possibly the Type-r but it would require going over 70 and thats not my thing at all.

Fact the T180 is not slow!

Fact the T180 is not slow!

u beat a type-r? clearly the driver was a muppet then, u do 0-60 in what 8.1 on the sheet the type-r in 6.6? my sister bf has a type-r and we have raced an auris-180 and flew past yes the cams are high, u don't get much power till 6400rpm then its gear change time at 7800rpm, on the new civic type-r the power kicks in at 5400rpm carries on to 7800rpm, so u get power earlier, i've racied both cars in my modded 206 and there pretty fast. and I'm not denying those T180's shift! and I mean shift! but u shouldn't of beat a type-R, well certainly not a newer one 51 plate onwards. if u did well done and let us know what u done to your car to give it that extra ommphhh.

I wouldn't mind giving u a race in my 206, hehe moddified GTI180 2.0 which is now a 2.0 turbo 286bhp monster if your keeping up with cars like type-r's and Octavia VRS's i am seriously worried, cos thats in the 6seconds rang and I am only a little under that sitting at 5.3 i think.....

but still damn impress interesting food for thought!

I certainly don't condone racing on public roads as that is something that should be left to the track and I spent several of my younger years on a few in the UK. I've owned a few fast cars thankfully in the days when they could be used. 0-60 times are completely unrealistic in determining the true speed of a car in the real world. As is top end speed which can rarely be achieved on our roads today apart from a quick sprint. Mid range 50-90 is where is all about. I know exactly what OldSkoO1 is saying as I can agree with him. the T180 is fast is and its silly bent tail pipe can be shown to many unsuspecting 'fast' cars. Road racing speeds are determined by the driver and what he considers safe. I met a new VW GTI enjoying some night driving as per the recent advert and I gave him the shock of his young life. I demolished him apart from where his '0-60' and superior cornering ability hepled him out of roundabouts but, and here is the hub, his mid range was no match for the T180 and well the top end.. lets just say Toyota have got it as wrong as Auto Express. Many other top cars are surprised when I come past and disappear. The T180 is a real 'Q' car. and if the letter designation is missed by the younger forum members just Google 'Q' ships.

completely agree here. Mid range is incredibly important in assessing a 'fast' car - far too many people focus purely on 0 - 60 and qtr mile times rather than actual road or track experiences. And with 400NM of torque, the T180 has some serious mid range punch.

I certainly don't condone racing on public roads as that is something that should be left to the track and I spent several of my younger years on a few in the UK. I've owned a few fast cars thankfully in the days when they could be used. 0-60 times are completely unrealistic in determining the true speed of a car in the real world. As is top end speed which can rarely be achieved on our roads today apart from a quick sprint. Mid range 50-90 is where is all about. I know exactly what OldSkoO1 is saying as I can agree with him. the T180 is fast is and its silly bent tail pipe can be shown to many unsuspecting 'fast' cars. Road racing speeds are determined by the driver and what he considers safe. I met a new VW GTI enjoying some night driving as per the recent advert and I gave him the shock of his young life. I demolished him apart from where his '0-60' and superior cornering ability hepled him out of roundabouts but, and here is the hub, his mid range was no match for the T180 and well the top end.. lets just say Toyota have got it as wrong as Auto Express. Many other top cars are surprised when I come past and disappear. The T180 is a real 'Q' car. and if the letter designation is missed by the younger forum members just Google 'Q' ships.

TOC does not condone racing on public roads.......................but you appear to be posting about "demolishing" a young driver in his VW GTI :rolleyes:

Please ensure your post references to "Top end" performance are reserved for track days and are not about "road racing speeds"

What exactly do you mean by "midrange" performance? I've never understood that term.....

IMO the best stat to look at for performance is 30-70 through gears. And unfortunately the T180 stat for that is pretty damn slow, I think it must be quicker than that though, the one I drove definately felt quicker than those Auto Express figures suggest.

So called "in gear" times (how would you accelerate if you weren't in a gear?!?) tell you a bit about flexibility but as gearing varies so much between cars they're pretty useless.

quote]

TOC does not condone racing on public roads.......................but you appear to be posting about "demolishing" a young driver in his VW GTI :rolleyes:

Please ensure your post references to "Top end" performance are reserved for track days and are not about "road racing speeds"

Please accept my apologies for an inappropriate post and delete if required.

hehe since everyones talking about beating what car..i drive a auris T3 1.4 my first car since im only 17 but yeah i dont know who said it but your right about cornering on the T3 I try and keep my corners tight but i do loose it sometimes, especially when heal and toe down shifting, i skidded when trying to get away from this "Nissan Almera" who was practically kissing my rear but i down shift to 3rd and pulled away nicely heal and toed around a lets say about a 80 degrees corner and skidded slighty forcing me wide, very frightening experience but also fun when thinking back at it :P

If ever anyone needed confirmation that our roads are becoming more and more dangerous it's the pretty irresponsible driving intimated in this thread! No wonder car insurance keeps increasing at an alarming rate. I just hope that when they have an accident they only injure themselves ... .

Crazy :(

In reply to that -

I would like to point out that any acceleration runs i've ever done have been on national speed limit dual carridgeways or roads that i use to get to work. As mentioned before i've never broken the speed limit doing so and never put other peoples lives in danger by driving dangerously, overtaking / obstructing etc

I have a T180, it has a fair bit of power, if i hit a dual carridgeway coming off a roundabout i'm going to stick my foot down until i reach 70 - thats only fair to say providing the road is clear.

And about the Type-R, as far as i could see in my rear view mirror he wasn't getting any closer and i created quite a bit of a gap when we started, probably down to my extra torque - it was only approaching 50 when his power cam kicked in you could see him noticably edge towards me.

And as i said, it wasn't racing - we didnt start side by side stopped or rolling, i was simply driving to work with a type-r following me so the circumstances were different than yours. I can say 1st and 2nd in the T180 are rather poor and contribute to the 8.1 0-60 time not that i've tried but its noticeable but once in 3rd its a totally different beast going from 20-70 and on 30 it hits boost.

thats fair enough, I can say i was a boy racer from around 17-19, i learned my lesson from it by getting 6 points and having my license revoked, I've learned my lessons now, I still know the same ppl but i just plant my foot untill i hit speed limit then stop. my opinions have radically changed, anyone being a prat on a public road needs to lose there license, i used to speed 155mph+, drift, race everything but now i realised that its just stupid! as for type-r's there crap anyway high lift cams are boring, i'd prefer an Auris to a type-r any day!

Back to start of this thread with some good news from the " Scottish Daily Record " road supplement.

Quotes on this weeks road test by above. "A powerfull toy" "The Auris flagship is a serious piece of kit" " The steering is razor sharp and the Toyota grips the road as if its life depended on it. Tackling tight hairpin bends and twisty country roads is an absolute joy"

0-62 mph 8.1 secs.

This seems more in line with what some of you are saying.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links