Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Breakdown In A Toyota

mr automatic

I have just returned home after my Toyota Yaris broke down. The electricals on the dash went out and in, lost power steering and wouldn't change gear( its a MMT). It happened coming up to a corner at a junction and just managed to get it round the corner as it is a real pig to drive without power steering. Fearing the worst I immediately switched it off after letting it run up a footpath and phoned the RAC. It was on a busy road so I couldn't get out to check the car.

They were brilliant and came quickly. He lifted the bonnet and seen that the negative Battery terminal was just sitting on top of the Battery!!!! The car is only 6 weeks old. Why was these things not checked at the dealership before I received the car. It has only done 1000 miles. I am really angry that this was not checked and I am also angry with myself that I didn't check it myself when I checked the oil level last week.

Does everyone else check the Battery terminals and if so how often? I will be taking the car to the dealership to get them to check the rest of the car over incase anything is loose like the wheels!!! They might say that it worked loose after it left the dealership but surely they should be tight enough not to loosen. I am just thankful that I didn't cause an accident and my family in in car was unhurt.

Rant over but it is not the service I am used to from being a Toyota driver.

Not exactly a breakdown but I see where you’re coming from.

These basic checks should have been made I the pre handover inspection. It won’t work lose if it was tight in the first place.

Not a lot you can do about it now, but a lesson learned me thinks, don’t trust other people with your car and double check what they say they have checked.

I suppose you could bring this to their attention (the manager) as it could have happened in the middle of nowhere or on the motorway. You may get a free service out of it if you push hard enough.

So this should have been checked at the dealership with the pre handover checks?? Surely this is a basic thing to check. I just hope they didn't miss anything else :o

Lesson learnt thats for sure.

It is a basic thing to check but obviously it was over looked. I’m sure it was accidental and I would put it down to ‘Just one of those things’

You could always go over the car yourself with a visual check and make sure things are not coming away yourself, that’s all they will do if you go back and complain. I would still bring it to their attention though.

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I will give it the once over tomorrow. The scariest thing is how weird the car behaves when the voltages are not right. Like the display saying you are going 66mph when you a crawling and the engine going to high revs when you don't have the foot on the accelerator! That hegde was really getting closer!!!! Probably all caused by the computer getting confused. Cars now a days really are reliant on electronics. In the future it will probably get worse. That's progress but is it better than before?

If the Battery terminal was having intermittent contact with your Battery it will play havoc with the electronics. Now it’s tight and secure it won’t come off again until you undo it.

I do visual and basic checks every time I clean my car. I just like to know everything is where it should be and attached.

Maybe this unfortunate experience will get you in a good habit of checking your motor. I even bought a torque wrench to check my wheel nuts!

If the battery terminal was having intermittent contact with your battery it will play havoc with the electronics. Now it’s tight and secure it won’t come off again until you undo it.

I do visual and basic checks every time I clean my car. I just like to know everything is where it should be and attached.

Maybe this unfortunate experience will get you in a good habit of checking your motor. I even bought a torque wrench to check my wheel nuts!

I check my nuts every day!

If the battery terminal was having intermittent contact with your battery it will play havoc with the electronics. Now it’s tight and secure it won’t come off again until you undo it.

When I first got my Yaris (2nd hand but had a pre-delivery service) it sometimes seemed to cut out when starting, especially when cold. I noticed the positive Battery connection was slightly loose, & after I tightened it I've had no problems starting since.

Checked the rest of the car this morning and everything else seems tight. The connection on the Battery appears to be an aluminium nut/bolt and had at one point a white liquid threadlock on the nut but it appears the nut had been loosened after manufacture. I redid the connection with threadlock so it will definitely not work loose again.

BTW the RAC man has seen this before in nearly new cars so it is something to look out for. They either work loose or not tightened at the dealer.

Battery connections are disconnected by the dealers when a car is in storage, this helps preserve the charge.

The Pre Delivery Inspection should have ensured that the connection was remade ...............It was obviously overlooked.

You need a word with the supplying service manager.....................Good Luck :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links