Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keep Getting Massive Electric Shocks After Long Journeys

Dunix

Now, in my last car, I occasionally got a little nip of static when I got out the car on a long journey.

However, since getting my T-Sport, Any journey that lasts over 5 miles seems to generate a belt of static charge. I went to my missus's parents house which is only 7 miles away and when I got out I got a very painful shock. However, when I went 100 miles to my Dads, I got out and got a proper belter of a whack from the static. It physically hurt and made me run around clutching my finger like a baby for half a minute.

This is just rediculous.

Why is this happening so much in the Yaris? What can I do about it? Do i need one of those stupid static decharger strips attached to the back of my car?

Now, in my last car, I occasionally got a little nip of static when I got out the car on a long journey.

However, since getting my T-Sport, Any journey that lasts over 5 miles seems to generate a belt of static charge. I went to my missus's parents house which is only 7 miles away and when I got out I got a very painful shock. However, when I went 100 miles to my Dads, I got out and got a proper belter of a whack from the static. It physically hurt and made me run around clutching my finger like a baby for half a minute.

This is just rediculous.

Why is this happening so much in the Yaris? What can I do about it? Do i need one of those stupid static decharger strips attached to the back of my car?

Out of interest, what tyres has it got?

Years ago everyone used to fit those earthing strips to prevent static, but the trend seems to have stopped and I read somewhere that was because modern tyres tend to be more conductive to prevent static building up. Maybe yours aren't as conductive as they might be, in which case an earthing strip could help.

Alternatively, could be building up between your shoes and the footmat, or between your clothes and the seat; in which case earthing the car won't make any difference, you need to consider different mats and/or seat covers perhaps?

i get shocks if i wear my work boots with electrically insulative soles. best way to avoid it would be leather soled shoes, cotton clothes. not man-made polyester/rayon/nylon/viscose.

also if you mix a little fabric conditioner with a little warm water and give the seats a gentle scrub (as if cleaning them - don't over soak though!!!) this will reduce nearly all the static caused by the seats. if you still get it after this. it's either going to be a new wardrobe or new interior.

So I've got throw away my lycra jump suit collection :(?

I have goodrich tyres, so I would of thought they would of been fairly modern.

I will try the cleaning of the seats idea :).

lol i used to have this problem when i had reebok classic trainers (no chav commnets please) ever since i stopped wearing them i havent had any problems

So I've got throw away my lycra jump suit collection :(?

I have goodrich tyres, so I would of thought they would of been fairly modern.

I will try the cleaning of the seats idea :).

:D

Yes, I'd have thought any tyres on a Yaris would be new enough to count as 'modern'. But maybe different makes have different properties.

The seat cleaning sounds like a good tip - let us know if it solves the problem.

Don't get the rubber pants; you need more conductive materials to allow the static to discharge before it builds up to levels that can shock you. Chain mail maybe? ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links