Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speeding

ARSI JAF

Hi

Doh! Got nicked for speeding twice in the same day, once on the way there, once on the way back! I was on the A14, a road I have never driven on before - one the way there it was Suffolk - 61/50, and on the way back in Cambs, 83/70.

Now, (and I know you wont believe me) but if I had to lay my annual salary on it, I would have said I was not going as fast as they have clocked me at - on either "offence"

I genuinely believe that my speedo is not showing the correct speed - so, if I am driving at 50mph showing on my clock, I think I am actually doing, say, 55mph.

Has anyone ever had any problems with their speedo?

I intend to fight these tickets, and no, I not at risk of loosing my licence - I will be driving on 9 points if I'm convicted because I have 3 "live" ones already - its the principle of it! I've been driving for 25 years and only ever had these three points! I do a lot of miles and I am very cautious about speeding - so I am seriously NOT IMPRESSED that I got caught twice in one day!

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers

I have a GPS speedo on my radar detector. My speedo is about 3mph out at 30 and about 5mph out at 70. Have you got sat nav of anything you can use to verify your speed?

I have a GPS speedo on my radar detector. My speedo is about 3mph out at 30 and about 5mph out at 70. Have you got sat nav of anything you can use to verify your speed?

No I haven't - but sounds like it could be a good investment.....

aint speedos normally wrong negatively like when your doing 30 it 27? not the other way

yes, is the answer - however, as it said on the other information I managed to find " if speedo does error, it may even read the other end of the error scale and possibly read slower than the actual road speed?"

It's a thought.

aint speedos normally wrong negatively like when your doing 30 it 27? not the other way

yes, is the answer - however, as it said on the other information I managed to find " if speedo does error, it may even read the other end of the error scale and possibly read slower than the actual road speed?"

It's a thought.

Very rare for a speedo to under read. Almost every car I've ever had, and certainly the ones that I have at the moment, all over-read by about 5% to 10%

Do you have the standard wheels and tyres that came with your car, or have you upgraded. If you have then that could have an effect. You can calculate the rolling radius of the old and new tyres to work out how much error that could cause.

Pay up.......................move on ...................Learn from it :)

When I used GPS in my T-Sport, when I was doing 70, I was really doing under 65, I'd check this out if I were you.I'd recommend buying some plate spray, any more points and your license will be gone!

Note: Do you have new alloys on it? If they are bigger it will affect the speedo.

I haven't upgraded my tyres and yes, plate spray could be an option! Pay up and move on? Yep, that's the reality - but I just think why should I when I am so convinced I wasn't speeding! But then, I'm convinced I am a size 10, but find Ihave to buy a size 12 -.......................that's life!

I haven't upgraded my tyres and yes, plate spray could be an option!

Plate spray is a risky option; if you're caught using it you'll probably be in more trouble than you would be if you had been caught speeding.

Best option is to get the speedo checked, then drive within the speed limit.

Don't camera's allow a little over the speed limit anyway?? I thought it was something like 10%, so a 77mph area would allow in the egion of say 75-77mph??

Don't camera's allow a little over the speed limit anyway?? I thought it was something like 10%, so a 77mph area would allow in the egion of say 75-77mph??

I believe they do, but in both these cases the camera operators are saying the speed was about 20% over the limit.

That's assuming they're accurate, but you would hope that they are calibrated quite precisely.

But i'ts also possible that these two operators are the same. And that he has changed his direction during the day. If his system isn't well calibrated, than that's an explanation. In Belgium you can ask for a certificate of the calibration.

Plate spray isn't illegal is it? I thought that it was for privacy against people taking photos of your car (in the background perhaps) and not bothering to remove the plates etc.

Also, apparently the spray isn't very good anyway, people can just turn up the contrast and see it anyway.

But i'ts also possible that these two operators are the same. And that he has changed his direction during the day. If his system isn't well calibrated, than that's an explanation. In Belgium you can ask for a certificate of the calibration.

Hi Ruben - welcome to TOC - my other half is Belgian and we are both around Bruges often! Always good to see another member around from Belgium - ok I am English but hey ho ;) I must say that on a slightly side note the speed camera's we see in Belgium are either grey or generally light coloured so they actually blend into the background deliberately so they can't be seen instead of the english manner of painting them bright yellow!

Plate reflectors, paint, whatever are ALL a waste of time and your own hard earned will be quickly drained away if you believe in such nonsense. There are several good websites that will give you advice, although I would reccomend you seek legal advice if you genuinly think you were not speeding. You can have your day in court to ask for calibration certificates etc, but you cant just turn up, you will have to prepare your defence. On a point of speedo's. The speedo reading on a standard car with standard wheels/tyres, will always show around 10% more speed. At 30, you are likely to be doing 27, so if you firmly believe you have been wronged, then get advice and go to court, always rembering justice is not cheap! You may get away with it if the camera was faulty, but it is going to cost!!!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi

Doh! Got nicked for speeding twice in the same day, once on the way there, once on the way back! I was on the A14, a road I have never driven on before - one the way there it was Suffolk - 61/50, and on the way back in Cambs, 83/70.

Now, (and I know you wont believe me) but if I had to lay my annual salary on it, I would have said I was not going as fast as they have clocked me at - on either "offence"

I genuinely believe that my speedo is not showing the correct speed - so, if I am driving at 50mph showing on my clock, I think I am actually doing, say, 55mph.

Has anyone ever had any problems with their speedo?

I intend to fight these tickets, and no, I not at risk of loosing my licence - I will be driving on 9 points if I'm convicted because I have 3 "live" ones already - its the principle of it! I've been driving for 25 years and only ever had these three points! I do a lot of miles and I am very cautious about speeding - so I am seriously NOT IMPRESSED that I got caught twice in one day!

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Whilst it is true you could defend yourself, is it really worth the hassle?

You say you dont usually go too fast, get the car speedo checked and the penalty points will expire quicker then you can say "Captain Gatso, for prime-minister"!

On the other hand, why did you buy a TS as opposed to a "Normal" Yaris?

My guess is to be able to go that little bit faster! B)

You lost the main techno selling point of a Yaris (digital holographic dash) and gained a few bhp, along with plastic bits any Tom ***** or Gary could bolt on his CDX, etc. :unsure:

STRANGE! got edited for using the short name for Richard! lol

be careful, when fighting against the ticket. Toyota speedos are allowed a devitation of 10% either side of the speed limit (50mph/45-55mph). they may use that fact against you. On the other hand it may come good for you if you said you were doing 55 and you have proof your your speedo siad you were travelling 50mph then they made dock your ticket. anyway good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links