Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D-4d - Irregular Propulsion

j0t

Hi all!

After getting all the defects of my 2.0 D-4D auris fixed (dashboard rattles, faulty tires), there's still a problem that worries me: when cruising in 4th gear, at ~ 1600 rpm, the car feels jerky. It looks like a propulsion issue as pressing the clutch makes the jerks go away. I was wondering if this was a feature or a defect of the car, so before taking it to the workshop for the 7th time in its first month, I'd like to have feedback from as many 2.0 D-4D auris owners as possible: does your car feel jerky at the described conditions?

To reproduce the defect: drive in 4th and accelerate until the engine revs at slightly less than 1600 rpm, then turn on cruise control.

Thanks to all who will answer.

Hi all!

After getting all the defects of my 2.0 D-4D auris fixed (dashboard rattles, faulty tires), there's still a problem that worries me: when cruising in 4th gear, at ~ 1600 rpm, the car feels jerky. It looks like a propulsion issue as pressing the clutch makes the jerks go away. I was wondering if this was a feature or a defect of the car, so before taking it to the workshop for the 7th time in its first month, I'd like to have feedback from as many 2.0 D-4D auris owners as possible: does your car feel jerky at the described conditions?

To reproduce the defect: drive in 4th and accelerate until the engine revs at slightly less than 1600 rpm, then turn on cruise control.

Thanks to all who will answer.

i don't have cruise on mine and the car doesn't do it in 4th at 1.6k rpm. could be the cruise trying to keep the speed constant. :ermm:

i don't have cruise on mine and the car doesn't do it in 4th at 1.6k rpm. could be the cruise trying to keep the speed constant. :ermm:

well, the cruise was sort of a trick to reproduce the jerks more easily, but cruise control or not they appear when driving at constant speed at 1.6k rpm...

• 3 months later...
....does your car feel jerky at the described conditions?

I have the same 2.0 D-4D engine in my Auris T-Spirit and although I don't get the jerky drive in above conditions, I do get a similar problem when accelerating with foot to floor (particularly in second gear) between 2500 and 3000 rpm. The car pulls away nicely from around 2000 rpm but then suddenly loses power very briefly before pulling away again.

The problem is intermittent and I am yet to take the car into dealer for it. It is rather frustrating when it happens though because it is usually at a point when I am overtaking. The first time it happened I thought it was traction control but soon discovered that the 2.0 T-spirit does not have this fitted.

I used to have a Leon Cupra TDI which had a similar problem - this was caused by a faulty Air Flow Meter on the Turbo. Not sure if it is same thing though.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

• 7 months later...

I'M NOT ALONE!!!!

Thank the lord someone else is experiencing this. My Auris does exactly the same, give it some welly in second and low and behold, nowt! Then as if by magic, major acceleration!!!

I've had this looked into by two different dealers and they've not found any problems and it hasn't repeated it when they give it a test drive.

Therefore there's no satisfactory outcome - yet!

Hello

I had a very similair problem, but dont recall the exact details. I have no have any repeat issues in the last 7-8K miles. I stopped using Shell V-power fuel

regards

I'M NOT ALONE!!!!

Thank the lord someone else is experiencing this. My Auris does exactly the same, give it some welly in second and low and behold, nowt! Then as if by magic, major acceleration!!!

I've had this looked into by two different dealers and they've not found any problems and it hasn't repeated it when they give it a test drive.

What engine / model do you have? Are you sure you are not just experiencing turbo lag?

If you suddenly put your foot down at low revs it takes a little time for the turbo to spool up and respond.

Once the power kicks in does it stay or do you intermittently lose it again?

The dealer thought water might have got into my fuel system although couldn't find anything after inspection. I blamed my problems on dodgy fuel form Tesco (although it might have just been coincidence that it used to do it more after filling up there.)

My problem eventually went away by itself and I've also started using Tesco fuel again without a problem. Drives great now!

If it isn't just turbo lag then good luck in getting it sorted.

I am not claiming I have had the same issues.

1) When I put the foot down in 3rd gear (or the rubbish 2nd gear) the loss in power is due to wheel spin especially in wet with lesser tyre?

2) When I drive around economically and decide to put the power down on the motor way it can sometimes feel terribly sluggish unless I have spooled the turbo up by giving it a bit of revs right before I boot it into the torque band in the next gear or I have been pushing hard for the entire journey. I think this the reason the T-180 has upgraded turbo that is fast to react.

Basically if you want to blast it in third gear drop down to second for a second or two (around 2700 revs) then engage 3rd and you power away no problem as long as traction is there and the car is serious fun all the way to 5th.

3) Weight. If I drive with 3 passengers it feels terrible and I would have expected more coming from a diesel.

However I have manged to cope with all of the above by understanding how the car drives.

I'M NOT ALONE!!!!

Erm... :huh:

I thought that's called "turbo lag" mate. You have to fill the turbo before stepping up on the gas pedal...

• 1 month later...
I'M NOT ALONE!!!!

Erm... :huh:

I thought that's called "turbo lag" mate. You have to fill the turbo before stepping up on the gas pedal...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem! I've had 4 Toyotas and this is the only one that gave a problem.

I have a 2002 Avensis Verso D4D. I started experiencing this problem intermittently in 2003. Toyota dealer couldn't find the cause any of the many times I brought the car in. Eventually in 2006 the problem was there all the time. Toyota took the car in for several weeks. The replaced the turbo, fuel injection, exhaust etc to no avail. Then they said they couldn't fix it! They said the car was outside warranty and were not willing to try any further remedies even though the problem had been reported on numerous occasions since the car was 1year old. SOME SERVICE!

I won't be buying a Toyota again.

The problem is now so bad I can't risk overtaking other cars on the road, even at low speeds.

I've been left with a car I can't sell or trade in and can't be fixed.

I hope a solution can be found and wish that Toyota would pay attention to their customers problems. My cars problem is obviously not an isolated case and Toyota should be acknowledging so. Toyota should be contacting all customers who have reported this fault and try to remedy it or offer some form of compensation by way of trade-in allowance for cars affected.

Regards to all

Harro

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem! I've had 4 Toyotas and this is the only one that gave a problem.

I have a 2002 Avensis Verso D4D. I started experiencing this problem intermittently in 2003. Toyota dealer couldn't find the cause any of the many times I brought the car in. Eventually in 2006 the problem was there all the time. Toyota took the car in for several weeks. The replaced the turbo, fuel injection, exhaust etc to no avail. Then they said they couldn't fix it! They said the car was outside warranty and were not willing to try any further remedies even though the problem had been reported on numerous occasions since the car was 1year old. SOME SERVICE!

I won't be buying a Toyota again.

The problem is now so bad I can't risk overtaking other cars on the road, even at low speeds.

I've been left with a car I can't sell or trade in and can't be fixed.

I hope a solution can be found and wish that Toyota would pay attention to their customers problems. My cars problem is obviously not an isolated case and Toyota should be acknowledging so. Toyota should be contacting all customers who have reported this fault and try to remedy it or offer some form of compensation by way of trade-in allowance for cars affected.

Regards to all

Harro

That could be injector problem, faulty Air Flow Meter or some kind of bad fuel with water, just try to replace fuel filter and then use some injector liquid cleaner on it. If it's still bad, test with another Air Flow Meter, last one try to test the injectors.

If still bad... humm maybe your turbo is broken.

I'M NOT ALONE!!!!

What engine / model do you have? Are you sure you are not just experiencing turbo lag?

If you suddenly put your foot down at low revs it takes a little time for the turbo to spool up and respond.

Once the power kicks in does it stay or do you intermittently lose it again?

The dealer thought water might have got into my fuel system although couldn't find anything after inspection. I blamed my problems on dodgy fuel form Tesco (although it might have just been coincidence that it used to do it more after filling up there.)

My problem eventually went away by itself and I've also started using Tesco fuel again without a problem. Drives great now!

If it isn't just turbo lag then good luck in getting it sorted.

Hi Guys,

This problem isn't a Turbo lag problem, I have had a Focus 2.0 TDCi and now the Auris 2.0 D-4D both UK built cars.

The Auris has has this exact same problem as described above from Day one, the car has now just had it's second service, and the problem is still there. It happens as described after a period of cruising preferable below 2000rpm then punch the accelerator to the floor to over take then the power dies, the steadily regains power at about 3000rpm. Totally disconcerting.

I have found that you can try "force" the problem especially when the car is warm, in Second gear Accelerate hard from Stops street or around multiple bends. I am trying to find a way to reliably replicate the problem so I can Take it Toyota, give the Technician white knuckle experience and then show them the issue and Say fix the problem. It's not the diesel because I always fill up at the same place and same time of the day My Focus never had a problem on the Diesel from this station. It's also not a Filter issue as I have all the filters replaced on this service (I'm led to believe South Africa has dirty diesel) and it did it the same day I got it back from the service. It's seems to me that it's more fuel supply issue as just after this has occured check you rear view mirror and you will see a huge cloud of diesel Lying in your wake. It's more of a over supply issue.

It seems that with Toyota Diesel cars technicians prefer to remain "parts replacers" and not try to solve the problems. It's definitely not Turbo Lag The Auris displays very little Turbo lag compared to some Diesels I have driven. The chaps here at Toyota, say they don't have much experience with the new 2.0 d-4d, but it's time they pulled finger and got it sorted as it seems to be an all to common issue

Sean

I have changed my driving style so it represents no problem. I continue to cruise at low revs but if I need power I drop your gear so you are at 1800-2000ish revs giving it a couple of seconds and only then the car is ready. I still think it is related to the turbo because unlike the T180 that has an upgraded turbo.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just had my throttle housing replaced about 2 weeks ago on a 2.0D-4D 08 auris with 6,000 mls on the clock

i noticed this problem twice more after a long run i mentioned it to the dealer

they checked it out and told me the throttle body/potentiometer was at fault

touch wood its been ok

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links