Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scored Discs On New Car

J-Squared

Those certainly look worse than mine. Now have 8,000 miles on the clock and the discs look like this. I have to say I didn't think there was a problem until I looked at the pics, which seem to be showing some scoring, but not as bad as Bainites pic.

Yours look fine to me, the radial grooves in the pic above are more like the ones the bulletin refers to.

Mart.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hertsnminds

• Neil1968

• k+S

• Alp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies. I suppose the one thing it shows it that not all Verso have the issue and Toyota do have parts that don't have a problem. The other thing is you can now compare the pics of OK and not OK discs and if you have the problem take this thread to your Toyota dealer as evidence.

• 2 months later...
Three weeks ago we took delivery of a new Verso SR 2.2 D4D and as we drove it away from the dealers we could hear the brakes making a grinding noise as they were applied. After 300 miles the noise was still there, there was a lot of brake dust on the front wheels and both front discs were scored.

We took it back to the dealer expecting an argument about trapped stones and pads/discs being consumables and not cover by the warrantee. I described the problem to the Service Manager who had a look at the car and said that they were having similar problems on the Yaris and that it was due to an incompatibility between the pads and the discs and that they would change them under the warrantee.

The work was done this morning and took 1½ hrs. Based on the limited miles covered since then, the brakes are now quiet and no signs of any disc scoring. I will be checking the discs regularly from now on.

Perhaps other owners of new Toyotas would like to check their discs in case the Service Manager is correct and is has become a common problem.

Regards to all.

Three weeks ago we took delivery of a new Verso SR 2.2 D4D and as we drove it away from the dealers we could hear the brakes making a grinding noise as they were applied. After 300 miles the noise was still there, there was a lot of brake dust on the front wheels and both front discs were scored.

We took it back to the dealer expecting an argument about trapped stones and pads/discs being consumables and not cover by the warrantee. I described the problem to the Service Manager who had a look at the car and said that they were having similar problems on the Yaris and that it was due to an incompatibility between the pads and the discs and that they would change them under the warrantee.

The work was done this morning and took 1½ hrs. Based on the limited miles covered since then, the brakes are now quiet and no signs of any disc scoring. I will be checking the discs regularly from now on.

Perhaps other owners of new Toyotas would like to check their discs in case the Service Manager is correct and is has become a common problem.

Regards to all.

We have had same problem since day 1. Dealership told us there was no problem outstanding regarding the brakes. All the symptoms as everyone else. Grinding noise when applying brakes,brake dust staining on alloys, pulling to left, grooves in discs. Have had it back to dealership 3 times and no joy. Took to another dealership 160 miles away (nearest). Replaced pads which I had to pay for and skimmed discs. They blamed the type of grit used on the roads in winter de-icing for the damage !

Will now take back again after joining this forum and get them to replace completely (hopefully).

Any further advice welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Regards to all.

Hi "J-Squared"

Just had my discs and pads changed yet again at 2000miles. The first set were fitted after only 150miles. This time i booked the car in for an annoying squeek on the front nearside in dry conditions. I managed to get the service manager to hear it and he thought it was the caliper. I was quite surprised to learn that when the car was dropped off that the discs and pads had been changed all round. The rear discs were again reportedly scored on the inboard side but looked Ok from the outside.

It is about time that Toyota fixed this problem. BTW the images of my previous discs are posted under Bainite in this thread. I will see how long these discs and pads last before they need changing again. Cannot complain about the dealership service as they have changed them no questions asked under the warranty and valetted the car on return.

:crybaby:

regards

Dave

That’s one of the downsides of having alloy wheels, you can see the brakes. For me thought that’s a plus :thumbsup:

I wonder how many people have steel wheels and trims and can’t see their brake discs and have score damage?!

• 1 month later...

Regards to all.

I am very disappointed from myself from reading in this forum about possible problems on Toyota Corolla Verso and still buying the car... I've gotten mine on Mon, and by the time I've reached home, about 20 km, both front disks are showing serious groves, and on touch even after couple of km driving, the grove is much, much warmed than the rest of the disks. However, I am very, very hesitant to give it for services. If the newly fitted disks are as bad as the "original", whats the point of wasting so much time? Its really beyond my comprehension how in the world would Toyota be buying in thousands faulty spare parts! And there should be around plenty of alternatives for replacement. The other option is for the whole brake system to be faulty.

Anyhow, I am going to the dealer here in Sofia tomorrow, to get this sorted out.

• 4 months later...

Regards to all.

I noticed a grinding noise when I picked up the verson back in March (58 plate) and asked them to check then - they said they were fine, no fault found. However having driven for a few months and then reading this forum I check the back discs and found them both to be heavily scored. Off to the dealer tomorrow - hopefully for a good explanation as to what the real problem is and whether I'll be facing this problem all the time. I've attached a picture of one of the discs as an example of what I'm seeing (two fairly deep groves).post-79166-1251148527_thumb.jpg

Is this the sort of thing others are seeing.

Did anyone ever get the toyota bulletin number relating to this problem?

• 1 month later...

My 58 Verso D4D SR has both rear discs scored. It's going in for its first service in a couple of weeks. I mentioned the scoring issue to the garage (Octagon Bracknell) when I booked the service and was told that they no longer automatically replace them under warranty but have to take photos and measurements, send them off to Toyota, and get the go-ahead before they do the work.

It looks like Toyota are cutting corners and taking silly risks with their reputation and Blimey! they should have fixed this one by now...

OK the car is now 18 months old and has just under 14,000 miles on the clock. Here is the condition of the brake discs...

post-58076-1255532300_thumb.jpg

post-58076-1255532311_thumb.jpg

OK the car is now 18 months old and has just under 14,000 miles on the clock. Here is the condition of the brake discs...

do you live near a coastal region by any chance?

My 58 Verso D4D SR has both rear discs scored. It's going in for its first service in a couple of weeks. I mentioned the scoring issue to the garage (Octagon Bracknell) when I booked the service and was told that they no longer automatically replace them under warranty but have to take photos and measurements, send them off to Toyota, and get the go-ahead before they do the work.

Here are some photos. The car has done just over 3000 miles:

IMG_0729-1.jpg

IMG_0725-1.jpg

Both front discs are perfect.

For comparison, here's my twelve year old Mazda MX-5 with 38000 miles on the clock:

IMG_0718-1.jpg

Says it all :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links