Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Issues

D4D KC

Hi,

I bought a 02 Corolla D4D Terra Car/Van. Its the 2.0l Diesel model.

When i go to start it some times it seems to choke a little and take a good 4-5 seconds more than usual to turn.

This only happens on odd occassions.

Its starts fine every morning, then 2 hours later it may do this or it may not. it is becomming a little more frequent now.

Sometimes i have to give the key a second turn.

What may be the issue here. i hate going to a mechanic as they rip people off around where i live..

Mine does pretty much exactly the same ... more frequently towards winter though

I asked Toyota about it when it went in for a service and they checked it for error codes and there way nothing there, they also said that some time it takes a while for it to start as its a diesel and it takes a few seconds for the coils or something to heat up.

A symbol on your dash turns on then off after a couple of seconds to show that it's heating up.

So I think its just normal TBH

I'm fully aware of letting the coil light go off but my point being that it only does this occasionally. it hasnt done it in 2 days now! weird. a good diesel engine should turn in 2 seconds. Cheers for your feedback on contacting toyota. it could be cold air getting under the engine in certain areas where i park.

Can be frustrating at times and considering i just bough it. Still an A1 car!!

No diesel engines dont have coils. The curly line symbol is the engine pre-heating light and it means that the glow plug is pre-heating and thats why you have to wait for the symbol on the display to go out. The glow plug basically is a heater that heats the air in the cylinder to the right temperature for the diesel fuel to burn. As it will not burn if the compressed air is cold. Thats why its important to wait for the light to go if the engine is cold so that the air is heated and will not result in unburnt fuel and will help the engine to start. The light may stay on longer if the engine is very cold, like on cold mornings.

You really need to have the resistance of the heater plugs checked out, on older models, they are not too expensive. Think of it a bit like a set of spark plugs, after a while they start to break down and become inefficient, if your car started to misfire at 50K miles you wouldnt think twice about changing the plugs, but in a diesel engine you need to think about the glow plugs, especially as the mornings get colder, thats when you will notice it a little longer to get started

Kingo :thumbsup:

It is now at the stage where it just about starts. I really need to get this sorted. getting my brakes done friday. should i go to toyota and ask them to get them change or will a normal garage have them in stock? will it be expensive? Im in the Republic of ireland.

It is now at the stage where it just about starts. I really need to get this sorted. getting my brakes done friday. should i go to toyota and ask them to get them change or will a normal garage have them in stock? will it be expensive? Im in the Republic of ireland.

And everybody says genuine are expensive!...........

Non Gen 23.49 each Inc VAT

Genuine from Kingo Retail 19.66 INC VAT, TOC price £17.70 (plus carriage)

Hi Kingo,

My first posting here!

Recently I have bought a second hand Toyota Avensis T3-X at 60K, 03 Reg. I had to change the cambelt (they serviced the car when it was at 59K, but did not replace the belt, very cheeky)

The car is excellent throughout! I visited immediately Linndop Brothers in Queensferry. Excellent service! I will be doing the servicing there from now on.

My question is related to the glow plugs someone mentioned before. I do not have problems starting the car no matter how cold it is in the morning. What however makes my experience a little bit troubled is the fact that three times in a row in the framework of two weeks the SVC and TRC OFF lights will stay on after the car has started. It was checked and they cleared it off, there was no obvious reason for the occurence. For no reason it would pop up again.

Last time I visited the Toyota garage I was told that it is connected with the glow plugs. I do not fully understand why as I have not noticed anything worrying with regard to starting the car. The glow plugs seem to be far more expensive compared with the Platinum spark plugs I used to buy for my Ford Mondeo. How often am I supposed to change these? Would this be covered by an extended warranty? Should not these have been changed during the last service?

Thank you in advance for your answer and I will try to say hello next time when I visit the garage (might be the coming week).

Cheers,

John

The 4 plugs had gone, he was surprised it even started. i got them replaced. €105 for 4 and €60 labour and €22.30 Vat. I wont be going there again but they are genuine toyota. Anyway the same problem has occured twice in 4 days since they were changed. What the hell else could be causing this?

Hi Kingo,

My first posting here!

Recently I have bought a second hand Toyota Avensis T3-X at 60K, 03 Reg. I had to change the cambelt (they serviced the car when it was at 59K, but did not replace the belt, very cheeky)

The car is excellent throughout! I visited immediately Linndop Brothers in Queensferry. Excellent service! I will be doing the servicing there from now on.

My question is related to the glow plugs someone mentioned before. I do not have problems starting the car no matter how cold it is in the morning. What however makes my experience a little bit troubled is the fact that three times in a row in the framework of two weeks the SVC and TRC OFF lights will stay on after the car has started. It was checked and they cleared it off, there was no obvious reason for the occurence. For no reason it would pop up again.

Last time I visited the Toyota garage I was told that it is connected with the glow plugs. I do not fully understand why as I have not noticed anything worrying with regard to starting the car. The glow plugs seem to be far more expensive compared with the Platinum spark plugs I used to buy for my Ford Mondeo. How often am I supposed to change these? Would this be covered by an extended warranty? Should not these have been changed during the last service?

Thank you in advance for your answer and I will try to say hello next time when I visit the garage (might be the coming week).

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Sorry I missed this posting of yours! Glad you have enjoyed your experience at Lindop Toyota.

The glow plugs would be treated like spark plugs (wear and tear items) and I doubt they would be covered by extended warranty, however they usually last a very long time and it is not unusual for them to last for years or 60-80K miles. Most of the time, if one goes and starting becomes a little more difficult, then they all start to deteriorate until you can hardly start the car, once started it will probably start all day. They are not changed on a scheduled service

Feel free to pop in and say hello when you are passing

Kingo :thumbsup: (John)

Hi John

Sorry I missed this posting of yours! Glad you have enjoyed your experience at Lindop Toyota.

The glow plugs would be treated like spark plugs (wear and tear items) and I doubt they would be covered by extended warranty, however they usually last a very long time and it is not unusual for them to last for years or 60-80K miles. Most of the time, if one goes and starting becomes a little more difficult, then they all start to deteriorate until you can hardly start the car, once started it will probably start all day. They are not changed on a scheduled service

Feel free to pop in and say hello when you are passing

Kingo :thumbsup: (John)

Hi John,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Today I have checked with my extended warranty, and as you mentioned they will not cover glow plugs. Only things that are literally mentioned.

Anyway, I am going to replace the plugs although I have not encountered any problems upon starting the car yet.

I have a question, do you put Denso glow plugs DG-245? As the car seems to be full of Denso parts I assumed that at Toyota you might well use their glow plugs.

I will wait a bit (my account currently is screaming after changing the cambelt and getting a second key with transponder) and then I will pop in the garage.

I have been to another Toyota dealer but I have to say that at Lindop you are the best. I share my colleagues' opinion who pointed it out to me in the first place.

Nice talking to you.

Cheers,

Jordan

This 'choking' upon starting issues has become an every time when starting now. Someone passing said it is probably the starter and someone else told me the fuel filter!! Is this a problem anyone has experienced before? 4 new plugs since friday so their not the issue.

This 'choking' upon starting issues has become an every time when starting now. Someone passing said it is probably the starter and someone else told me the fuel filter!! Is this a problem anyone has experienced before? 4 new plugs since friday so their not the issue.

Hi KC

Had you had your car serviced properly the fuel filter must've been replaced as suggested by Toyota, so I would exlude it in the first place. If it were not the glow plugs it points out towards the starter. I guess Mr. T should have the diagnostic equipment to tell you. What was the mileage of your Corola when you replaced the glow plugs?

It was serviced about 1000mls ago. It woulnt start at all this morning so i got a garage to take it away. He told me the starter was gone completly and it was dying a slow death for a while. All sorted now. Happy that it is as i like the corolla and i dont want a bad experience with possible common faults.. cheers for those of you who helped.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links