Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Questions

SamDept

got to agree with that comment, at 17 theres no way you have enough experience to handle a big RWD.

i dont wanna play the sterio typical card but in alot of respects its true, younger drivers tend to be over confident with their cars and their own driving.

ill be the first to hold my hands up and say i used to be like it, and im sure that if your honest you all have been.

o theres no doubt you can find insurance some will cover you if your willing to pay.

prime example of why some who's got no driving experience, im sure everyone has had it some kiddy with a little car flies past you in a stupid place and nearly loses it or hits someone.

its bad enough when they do it in like a 1.2 FWD but a 3.0 RWD is a different animal entirely.

I bought my first supra at 20, UK Twin Turbo 326bhp. Cost me a mere £900 to insure :)

Generally Supra owners are in their 20's, most supra owners i know (including myself) are around 22-26.

Nobody cares what car anyone else buys, but if you had read his other posts he has mentioned buying a 3.0 supra and then putting a smaller engine in, hoping this will bring the insurance down. Which it wont, in fact it will put it up drasticly.

Bottom line is that a supra isnt a cheap car to run, if you cant afford one then dont buy one. If you can then good, go get one.

I ran a 280 hp soarer at 17... never had any problem with that. Been driving supras since 18.. although the soarer was faster then the first couple of supras.

Anybody can handle anything power wise as long as they are not an idiot.

The reason I said he shouldn;t get a supra was nothing to do with age ;)

Who cares anyway, these days haf the supras knocking about are Boyracer Junk. Sad but true :(

I bought my first supra at 20, UK Twin Turbo 326bhp. Cost me a mere £900 to insure :)

Generally Supra owners are in their 20's, most supra owners i know (including myself) are around 22-26.

Nobody cares what car anyone else buys, but if you had read his other posts he has mentioned buying a 3.0 supra and then putting a smaller engine in, hoping this will bring the insurance down. Which it wont, in fact it will put it up drasticly.

Bottom line is that a supra isnt a cheap car to run, if you cant afford one then dont buy one. If you can then good, go get one.

When did you get that insurance on that Supra for £900? You do realise now that insurance for young lads has reached rediculous levels right? I did a quote for an 18 year old with a new license on a Toyota Corolla diesel of all cars and the cheapest quote I got was £2500? :angry:

Nowadays it would be impossible for a young lad to have a Supra unless they had well off parents willing to pay. The main cost for a young lad now is insurance. Normally it is about twice the cost of the car, and three times is not uncommon. I think you have been out of the loop for some times.

I ran a 280 hp soarer at 17... never had any problem with that. Been driving supras since 18.. although the soarer was faster then the first couple of supras.

Anybody can handle anything power wise as long as they are not an idiot.

The reason I said he shouldn;t get a supra was nothing to do with age ;)

Who cares anyway, these days haf the supras knocking about are Boyracer Junk. Sad but true :(

I would like to know the insurance charges you got on that Soarer. So what was the reason you said that he shouldn't get a Supra then? You attitude saying that they are "boyracer junk" leaves much to be desired. What about the other half in good nick then? Why give up on them?

Im almost 26 now, my first Supra i had from 20 until i was 22. In that time i modified it to over 400bhp and it put my pemium up a mere £80 to £980. I then bought my 2nd Supra at 22 which was an import N/A manual sz whch i stripped out and turned into a track car. That cost only £600 to insure. I then swapped the supra for a Lotus Esprit Turbo (No extra on premium) before going to my 3rd Supra in 2006 which was a MK2 2.8 which i swapped a 4.0 V8 from a Lexus LS400 into. This cost £600 to insure and now i have a Evo4 Circa 350bhp which is just short of £700 to insure. These were all full comp, all mods declared. My folks arent loaded and we live in a normal area with normal crime levels. I do spend a lot of time shopping around though so this is probably why i always get a good rate. I also have 3 points btw (Until August, fingers crosses no more come my way). I give up trying to figure out how insurance companies work out premiums, i think they have a wall with numbers and they throw a dart at it. They make no sence what so ever :crybaby:

Yeah im sure they must cause you got your insurance on ace cars for really cheap

if i want anything remotely sporty its over 2500

anything fast n its well over 3500

im 20 with 2 years no claims and live in a tiny village with 40 house n there has never been a car theft in the 10 years ive lived there

i paid 1800 named driver for my first year

then 1500

now in my own name with mods on at 900

on a little 1.3

a supra for me is like 6k to insure

celica tsport - 3500

civic type r - 2700

audi s3 - 2800

focus rs - 2700

oh and this one made me laugh cause id love one MR2 GT Turbo - 7100 :o

these are all around 200bhp cars and the supra is much faster car so just puts in to perspective how much faster cars are to insure but think what its goin to be for a 17 year old with no "no claims" and no driving experence. even if he could handle the car gettin the insurance on it at the moment when prices are so high would be a nightmare

hoping it all calms down by the time im 21

You attitude saying that they are "boyracer junk" leaves much to be desired. What about the other half in good nick then? Why give up on them?

Its a fact... There are so many ropey supras kicking about its not funny... Mkiis, iiis, ivs.. the lot.

It seems most of the ones I see these days are shoddily specced shoddily mofified imports where etheir idiots owners have spent all the money on daft fibreglass fast and furious stlye modifications, as opposed to proper maintenance and vehicle upkeep.

The good ones however are great... and best kept out of the hands of idiots ;)

As for my soarer... it was all done through a family fleet policy.

You attitude saying that they are "boyracer junk" leaves much to be desired.

Flynn2 in desiring more from other people's attitude shocker.

I agree with what people are saying on this.

It would be sensible not to get a Supra as a first car. This is mainly for 2 reasons: 1st is Cost - Taking insurance, fuel, upkeep etc into account. It would be sensible not to get one straight away. 2nd is experience - I know people have mentioned this but it is sound advice. When you get your first car, you don't know how to really drive, you are nore likely to have accidents or knocks and you'd be tempted to push the car beyond your capabilities. I'm not saying you'd do that or anyone else for that matter. However the fact is that it's highly possible.

Im almost 26 now, my first Supra i had from 20 until i was 22. In that time i modified it to over 400bhp and it put my pemium up a mere £80 to £980. I then bought my 2nd Supra at 22 which was an import N/A manual sz whch i stripped out and turned into a track car. That cost only £600 to insure. I then swapped the supra for a Lotus Esprit Turbo (No extra on premium) before going to my 3rd Supra in 2006 which was a MK2 2.8 which i swapped a 4.0 V8 from a Lexus LS400 into. This cost £600 to insure and now i have a Evo4 Circa 350bhp which is just short of £700 to insure. These were all full comp, all mods declared. My folks arent loaded and we live in a normal area with normal crime levels. I do spend a lot of time shopping around though so this is probably why i always get a good rate. I also have 3 points btw (Until August, fingers crosses no more come my way). I give up trying to figure out how insurance companies work out premiums, i think they have a wall with numbers and they throw a dart at it. They make no sence what so ever :crybaby:

Sorry buddy but there is no way you got insurance that cheap on a car like that at age 20. No way. You haven't even said whayt company it was with. Even for the *****est and cheapest small cars you are looking at the thick end of £2500 for anything for a lad under 21.

You attitude saying that they are "boyracer junk" leaves much to be desired. What about the other half in good nick then? Why give up on them?

Its a fact... There are so many ropey supras kicking about its not funny... Mkiis, iiis, ivs.. the lot.

It seems most of the ones I see these days are shoddily specced shoddily mofified imports where etheir idiots owners have spent all the money on daft fibreglass fast and furious stlye modifications, as opposed to proper maintenance and vehicle upkeep.

The good ones however are great... and best kept out of the hands of idiots ;)

As for my soarer... it was all done through a family fleet policy.

That's the catch then. Normal insurance wouldn't be that cheap.

The insurance market is a weird and wonderful place. The two best things i've done to lower the premium are to put my parents as named drivers with me been the policy holder, and also to do a Pass Plus course at 17. The worst thing I did to reduce the premium was to crash my last car!! Still at 20 I have my MR2 '04 roaster insured fully comp with all the trimmings for just shy of 1500 pounds (admiral).

Now try and justify that against a project car that I bought for 150 ('89 VW golf MK2 GTi) - 1700 third party fire and theft!! Where is the reasoning behind that?

im 17. ive just got a yaris.

i agree with the above guys. No way could anyone at 17, whos just passed their test, handle a 3.0L (nevermind a 3.0 twin turbo).

The OP would end up dead within 6 months, or at least write the car off.

My mates went for a ride in a guys skyline the other week - a 2.4 twin turbo. They werent even pushing it, and they said it was insane. They also know a guy who wrote off his celica. Every single one of the guys i know who can drive, has had an accident or a near miss. You wouldnt wanna have the same kind of experience in a powerful car like that. And i guarantee it would happen at some point.

IMO you should get a nice tidy car to learn to drive in, keep it for a year, maybe 18 months and buy something with a bit more kick.

I personally have been looking at supras recently, theyre cheap yeah, but i know id just end up crashing it. so ive been looking at lancers and even IS200s. Both nice cars and about the same price as the supra, but lower insurance (not actually got any quotes yet but im assuming it will be considerably less).

Been looking at Supra's myself so decided to get some quotes.

Non-Turbo £1,033

Turbo £599

WTF??!!

Any ideas chaps? I would've thought that the Turbo would've been more expensive to insure.

The quotes were done on confused.com just to get an idea of prices, ran the Turbo quote first then ran a Non-Turbo quote using the exact same details.

How on earth can a Non-Turbo be more expensive to insure???

:huh:

Been looking at Supra's myself so decided to get some quotes.

Non-Turbo £1,033

Turbo £599

WTF??!!

Any ideas chaps? I would've thought that the Turbo would've been more expensive to insure.

The quotes were done on confused.com just to get an idea of prices, ran the Turbo quote first then ran a Non-Turbo quote using the exact same details.

How on earth can a Non-Turbo be more expensive to insure???

:huh:

I wonder if its that "import/non uk model" thing, the insurance industry love making up their own prices especially when they claim the parts will be difficult to source :angry: . On the positive side you'll have £434 to spend on fuel to get those turbo's spinning, hmmm turbo's :drool:

My thoughts exactly!!

:driving:

But i suppose if getting Turbo Supra is the cheapest option (insurance wise) then i'll have to make do!!

:lol:

Aint life a b1tch! :lol:

Sorry buddy but there is no way you got insurance that cheap on a car like that at age 20. No way. You haven't even said whayt company it was with. Even for the *****est and cheapest small cars you are looking at the thick end of £2500 for anything for a lad under 21.

WHAT THE HELL!? You calling me a liar?

HOW BLOODY DARE YOU!

Just for your information i insured both supra's through Lancaster and the Esprit, Evo and V8 through Sky.

And i have never paid more than £1800 for insurance and that was when i bought my first celica at 18 when it was almost brand new.

I know what i paid for my insurance, as does Charlie (Karma Supra) as he helped me shop around.

So before you start telling people they are liars i suggest you get your facts straight as you are wrong.

Just because YOU cant get the prices i got doesnt mean jack.

Damn i wish i was still a moderator on here.... insulting me like that....

:angry:

I suggest folk seriously take a chill pill else the mod hat goes on and I rock the joint....

S'up to you - please keep it clean and please refrain from insults! :rolleyes:

I'll only tell folk once.

WHAT THE HELL!? You calling me a liar?

HOW !Removed! DARE YOU!

Just for your information i insured both supra's through Lancaster and the Esprit, Evo and V8 through Sky.

And i have never paid more than £1800 for insurance and that was when i bought my first celica at 18 when it was almost brand new.

I know what i paid for my insurance, as does Charlie (Karma Supra) as he helped me shop around.

So before you start telling people they are liars i suggest you get your facts straight as you are wrong.

Just because YOU cant get the prices i got doesnt mean jack.

Damn i wish i was still a moderator on here.... insulting me like that....

:angry:

Yeah I wonder why you aren't anymore :rolleyes: :D

im 17. ive just got a yaris.

i agree with the above guys. No way could anyone at 17, whos just passed their test, handle a 3.0L (nevermind a 3.0 twin turbo).

The OP would end up dead within 6 months, or at least write the car off.

LOL I love "experts"

I am alive and I never wrote off my car as a teenager, as per my earlier thread.

If I was a cynical person I might imply that perhaps you merely befriend idiots that can't drive....

Luckily I'd never say anything like that ;)

Yeah I wonder why you aren't anymore :rolleyes: :D

Because i didnt want to be anymore, i told them i was sick and tired of banning to forum warriors that hide behind their keyboard and in reality dont know anything about what they are talking about ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links