Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Light

top122

my engine light came on so i had the car to the dealer.

Bank 2 Sensor 2 (oxygen sensor) defective was the outcome.

I intend replacing the sensor myself but i've been told that the engine light requires turning off/ resetting. Can this be done by any other means than getting ripped off by my local toyota dealer? I know that when i replaced it on my old Carina it self reset as soon has the new sensor was fitted.

heard that on some models you can short out certain pins to reset things. Is this a wise option or do i just get ripped off?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Hi top122

You didn't say what year your Avensis was.

If it's relatively new it should be OBD2 compliant. (Onboard diagnostics Version 2)

On eBay they sell OBD code reader/ reset units from about £15

I've just ordered one myself but it hasn't arrived yet.

As far as I know the Avensis is limited in what can be diagnosed using these generic readers, but engine codes and the ability to reset the engine light is supposed to be covered.

I'll let you know if mine works.

Seeing as most modern cars are OBD2 compliant I reckon it's worth having one anyway, for peace of mind (providing it works).

As Rossi says buy a code reader to do it. I bought one recently and am surprised by how cheap they are. Sounds like you have a petrol one as I also have another heater circuit malfunction P0141 on a sensor. There has been recent comments on the Rav4 forum about the diesels not being compliant until 2004 and some readers not working with that engine. I would like to know how much the sensor is from Mr T and I take it you have one of the spanners with a cut-out for the cable to pass through as I will probably also do it myself rather than paying 200 quid.

thanks for the replies.

Its a 2002 2ltr vvti avensis.

I've been quoted 190 quid for the new sensor fitted. I have also been quoted for non-toyota ones of 56GBP for front and 64GBP for the back from an independent supplier although i have been warned that they aren't lasting all that long!

Thanks

Was just about to edit my post as I replied to your earlier one and knew which engine you had. I'm not far away being to the south west of Huddersfield. I bought a Geniscan GS300 for 30 quid from ecufix.com. If you look on the auteltech.com website you can download its manual so you can see what it does.

Were those quotes for sensors with the plug on the end or the ones with bare wires? I have seen the originals on an American website but not on a UK one. I take it you now know which of the lower sensors it is?

edit: as a further question what was the fault code? B2S2 is from P0156 to P0161

Hi top122

If it's relatively new it should be OBD2 compliant. (Onboard diagnostics Version 2)

On ebay they sell OBD code reader/ reset units from about £15

As far as I know the Avensis is limited in what can be diagnosed using these generic readers, but engine codes and the ability to reset the engine light is supposed to be covered.

Seeing as most modern cars are OBD2 compliant I reckon it's worth having one anyway, for peace of mind (providing it works).

Hi Rossi,

Which one have you gone for? I have been considering this option but could not decide whether the one I would go for will be covering my car.

Can you post your experience once you start playing with it?

Cheers,

John

Hi Rossi,

Which one have you gone for? I have been considering this option but could not decide whether the one I would go for will be covering my car.

Can you post your experience once you start playing with it?

Cheers,

John

Hi John

I went for an eBay special £14.98 including P&P from China

Probably crap but thought it was worth a punt.

I'll post up a review once i've played with it, and wiped my ECU no doubt :o

Cheers, Adz

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved my £14.98 eBay OBD2 reader today and tried it on my 53 plate Avensis D4D.

My engine check light wasn't on but it went through a sequence and diplayed----, which means no errors (according to the book that it came with.)

If engine codes are logged it displays them one at a time and repeats the cycle 4 times (enabling you to retrieve the code and look it up in the provided manual.)

Once the sequence has finished it then extinguishes the engine check light.

For just under £15 it has to be worth keeping in the glove compartment, if only to reset the engine check light.

If I had this 2 years ago I wouldn't have had to keep calling the AA out every time our Mercedes went into limp mode when we were miles from home.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi top122

On ebay they sell OBD code reader/ reset units from about £15

Hi Rossi

did you ever get the obd2 unit and if you did how did you get on with it. Would it be compliant with my T3SD-4D 2003 Avensis

Would be interested to know. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I intend replacing the sensor myself but i've been told that the engine light requires turning off/ resetting. Can this be done by any other means than getting ripped off by my local toyota dealer? I know that when i replaced it on my old Carina it self reset as soon has the new sensor was fitted.

heard that on some models you can short out certain pins to reset things. Is this a wise option or do i just get ripped off?

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Still learning to use this, no they are not like a light bulb as such. Like yours mine would have past the mot there was no drop in performance or fuel economy,but while the light is onthe vehicle can not inform u of other faults if they arise. On mine the sensor is a four wire thou they can be less. The discription of yours sounds the same as mine.I initially disconnected my Battery the warning light went off, i drove it after about five mile it came back on it would appear it is about this point that the management system comes off its preprogramming up to that point its called a closed loop. See the cat is useless till about ten miles or so as not warm enough plus hence the heater system employed in the sensor and given the two i have fitted from the wiring info i received it is this heating system that is failing. Usually when the sensor part fails you will know about it it will run like a dog possibly also black smoke. When u test the black wires in a circuit with a meter u should get a circuit if it has failed u will receive no circuit reading on the meter, the other two wires are for the sensor its self if u test them there will be no reading, thats due to the way they operate via generating an electrical which is in millivolts you would have to connect the meter in line oo volts or use an amp clamp. Bewarned if u do these yourself invest in a special socket it will save time and make it easier i used a twenty two mill spanner but struggled as the lower two on the 2.0l eng are only accessable from underneath and you may have to move a water deflector to though that part is easy. the manifold is tubular with two cats one per cylinder so that explains why it goes well enjoy. i payed 75 pounds each for my sensors including carriage like most things on cars keep on top of things so it does not come as a big bill all at once. bear in mind the extreme environment the sensors work and that they are reguarded as a consumable in the motor world like a spark plug and as tmie passes they don't work as accurately so changing them is not such a bad thing. mike

• 1 year later...
Still learning to use this, no they are not like a light bulb as such. Like yours mine would have past the mot there was no drop in performance or fuel economy,but while the light is onthe vehicle can not inform u of other faults if they arise. On mine the sensor is a four wire thou they can be less. The discription of yours sounds the same as mine.I initially disconnected my battery the warning light went off, i drove it after about five mile it came back on it would appear it is about this point that the management system comes off its preprogramming up to that point its called a closed loop. See the cat is useless till about ten miles or so as not warm enough plus hence the heater system employed in the sensor and given the two i have fitted from the wiring info i received it is this heating system that is failing. Usually when the sensor part fails you will know about it it will run like a dog possibly also black smoke. When u test the black wires in a circuit with a meter u should get a circuit if it has failed u will receive no circuit reading on the meter, the other two wires are for the sensor its self if u test them there will be no reading, thats due to the way they operate via generating an electrical which is in millivolts you would have to connect the meter in line oo volts or use an amp clamp. Bewarned if u do these yourself invest in a special socket it will save time and make it easier i used a twenty two mill spanner but struggled as the lower two on the 2.0l eng are only accessable from underneath and you may have to move a water deflector to though that part is easy. the manifold is tubular with two cats one per cylinder so that explains why it goes well enjoy. i payed 75 pounds each for my sensors including carriage like most things on cars keep on top of things so it does not come as a big bill all at once. bear in mind the extreme environment the sensors work and that they are reguarded as a consumable in the motor world like a spark plug and as tmie passes they don't work as accurately so changing them is not such a bad thing. mike

went for a diagnostic to my local garage(€40 lighter in the pocket)for a 20 min diagnostic run and 30seconds to hook it up!

oh well they have the equipment!

Front oxygen sensor fault was the outcome.

my question is this how easy/difficult is it to change this myself?

begrudge giving them anymore money .

also my car is a 1999 1.6 petrol avensis 4A-FE engine.

If i wanted to get a error code reader which one off eBay would I go for as there are so many and i think the OBD2 ones are for post 2001 cars (yes/no?)

thanks in advance

john

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links