Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

05 Corolla Verso Handbrake Adjust

pudders

H

Please can someone tell me how its done? Is it on the centre console bit at the brake lever or on the wheels using a wheel adjuster I heard about on a different thread?

If its on the lever end how do you remove the plastic surround without butchering it??

Cheers

Neil

Hi Pudders

Don't touch the cable adjustment until you have adjusted the hubs. The process is thus:- remove rear wheels- use common sense and do it safely, Prise out small rubber bung from disc, rotate disc until hole is near the bottom, shine a torch into the hole and look for a threaded rod with a slotted wheel at one end and a spring over the top. Use a wide, flat blade screwdriver and rotate the slotted wheel from the top down until the disc won't turn (if you turn it the wrong way, there will come a point where you will not be able turn the slotted wheel in either direction and can only be fixed by removing the disc, so be careful!!) Then the most important bit is to back off the adjustment 4 notches of the wheel. This creates the clearance that allows the disc to turn. Any tighter and the brake will bind and overheat. Once you have adjusted both sides count the notches on the lever. Anywhere between 3 and 7 is acceptable. If your lever travels too far then adjust the cable thus:- unscrew gear knob, remove gaiter and trim by pulling straight up, remove two self tappers at the front, empty centre console and lift out little bit of carpet, remove two hex head self tappers, pop out lever slot filler, just pull straight up. Pull on handbrake and lift whole console upwards. Cable adjustment is by threaded rod on the side of the lever. Do not overtighten. 3 notches minimum or your brake will bind, wear out prematurely and overheat.

Also if any of this scares you, don't touch it, bring it in to us (Mr T) and we will do it for you. About half an hour plus free coffee and a read of the paper in a warm reception area.

Regards Ray

• 11 years later...

Hi sir can you advise. I have parked my toyota corolla 2008 for a month and it will start  but can't move. When ever I attempt to move the car will behave as if the Handbrake is on despite the contrary. 

Surprised this should happen after only a month.  Did you leave the car parked with the handbrake on?

I would guess that the handbrake mechanism on 1 or more wheels has rusted up/seized, and I'd jack up each wheel in turn, starting with whichever wheels the handbrake operates on.  Inspect each in turn. Can be a bit fiddly stripping to access the handbrake shoes, but I don't know anything about your model.  Handbrake mechanisms don't wear much, and therefore don't get regular maintenance.  Does the vehicle have handbrake cables, and could it be they've rusted up?  I had this on a Citroen many years ago.

It's possible the pads have seized in their calipers on the disc brakes, but would be very surprised, unless car's not had much maintenance

Agree with @Notoyboy,  jack up each wheel , think you may find both rears are locked ...?

If so you could try pushing the car forwards and then backwards to see if that helps release them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links