Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! Very Low Mpg

benedict

We've just bought a 2003 Avensis Verso 2.0 VVTi GLS Automatic, Petrol with 15K miles on the clock. It drives like a dream, and we're very pleased with it, except for the ridiculously low mpg. I had expected about 28-30 mpg, but the on-board display shows between 19 and 20mpg, and a full-tank test (50 litres of petrol) confirmed this, as we covered only 201 miles before requiring a petrol refill. We do mainly urban driving.

Before I take it back to the dealership, I wanted to know whether anyone else had this problem, and how it was fixed. Any ideas, suggestions welcome. The tyres are inflated to the recommended 33psi. If this cannot be improved, we're returning it as I cannot sustain the expense, and the guilt of being a gas-guzzler.

More info : Variant : ACM20(W), Version : ACM20R-ARSDKW(1B) - any idea what these mean??

Many thanks.

Benedict. :(

• 2 weeks later...

benedict: I've got the same engine in my '54 saloon auto with 75k on clock with full service every 10k and I get about the same as you urban in Liverpool. It's better on the mway about 35mpg

This appears to be normal. I notice you live in Stoke Newington. Presumably the traffic where you are is more congested than where I live. If so you're doing better than me. :(

cmia: I use Shell fuel. Can different brands make a difference?

We've just bought a 2003 Avensis Verso 2.0 VVTi GLS Automatic, Petrol with 15K miles on the clock. It drives like a dream, and we're very pleased with it, except for the ridiculously low mpg. I had expected about 28-30 mpg, but the on-board display shows between 19 and 20mpg, and a full-tank test (50 litres of petrol) confirmed this, as we covered only 201 miles before requiring a petrol refill. We do mainly urban driving.

Before I take it back to the dealership, I wanted to know whether anyone else had this problem, and how it was fixed. Any ideas, suggestions welcome. The tyres are inflated to the recommended 33psi. If this cannot be improved, we're returning it as I cannot sustain the expense, and the guilt of being a gas-guzzler.

More info : Variant : ACM20(W), Version : ACM20R-ARSDKW(1B) - any idea what these mean??

Many thanks.

Benedict. :(

Have you tried lightening your right foot? Is this the first automatic you've had as it's all too easy to press the loud pedal on an auto so far that you don't get any more performance from the engine and simply waste fuel. It's worth a mention.

Mal

• 5 months later...

I've got the same car and get about 10l every 100km (summer) with a lot of urban traffic and highway congestion. This would convert to about 25mpg, which I find ok.

Strange though, that the board computer gives me an average of about 8 liters (I reset it every fillup to compare).

Does the trip computer leave out the parts where you stand still with the motor running? :g:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links