Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 1.3 G6 Fuel Economy Sudden Drop, Loss Of Power

ryan827

Hi everyone, Have a sudden problem with my car that nobody has been able to diagnose so far so i wondered if anybody here had any ideas.

My car has suddenly uses almost double the petrol that it did 3 weeks ago.

It has had a new water pump recently as well as four new tires. Also after taking a mechanics advice i switched from full to semi synthetic oil.

Since the problem started the car has been juddering when at low revs as if its close to stalling.

I dont know if any of those details help.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ryan

Why did you stop using fully synthetic? this is best for making your engine last..

I'm guessing you had your tires ballanced after having new ones fitted, it is suprising how much your fuel can drop just by having things like the tracking being out as your making more drag on the car.

Are your tires pumped up to the right pressure, just check this can also make a lot of drag which will destroy the economy. A lot of small things like this car do bad things to your fuel

LAMBDA /OXYGEN SENSOR has failed!

on the 1.6 4AFE Engine they seem to fail after 40,000 -50,000 mile

(I presume when sitting at traffic lights the revs/ and rev counter 'flutter' up and down like car is about to stall - but then doesn't quite stall ..yes?)

Also is your exhaust tail pipe quite 'sooty'?

^

if it is the sensor -which I think it is then yes replacement is the answer (some will say clean it but I've never found this acceptable).

But there is one downside - Toyota Oxygen sensor is over £70!!!

Incidently when was plugs and air filter changed?

I changed the plugs, oil filter and air filter yesterday.

Ive only had the car a couple of months after buying it from a friend and am slowly finding out that they were really ripping her off.

After the gasket went 3 weeks before i bought it they took the used gasket off of the water pump and gummed it shut and then charged her for a new one.

also they werent changing the air filter just cleaning it at best.

I've seen a couple of cheap universal ones advertised Such as :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-Universal-4-Wire-...1QQcmdZViewItem

however I'm not sure what type my car needs and if these are any good in the first place??

I am afraid I have not had much experiance of aftermarket sensors although I see no problem as such but ...

the one you list is a 4 'WIRE' VERSION ...

...however late 90's Corollas use an old fashioned 2 WIRE Lambda sensor (the 1.6 does I know for certain, not sure about 1.3?)!

SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY !!!

I've just remembered something else to check, but it's a 'long shot' (and could be cheaper!):- A build up of dirt/oil sludge in the Tube (approx 5mm in thickness) that runs from the MAP Sensor (little black unit mounted on the bulk head) to the inlet manifold. The pipe is fairly long and fitted with a one-way valve, oil mist and fuel vapour gradually get drawn in and block this tube. Tube might even be split but then this can make ECU then think Throttle is fully open!

Try cleaning through tube - or usually it will need a new one (it will if split!)

Before anyone says "why isn't engine light showing" or "no fault codes evident etc." the answer from my own experiance is that Nether Oxygen sensor failure or above mentioned vacuum tube 'throw up' a fault code.

**As a side note you may note from another of my posts in another thread that the water pump is now starting to become a failure point on this engine**

Finally: my total appologies if what I have mention does not rectify problem, as you must understand in ALL cases I am only going on my OWN and PERSONAL practical experiance - the reason I state this now is on one forum when I listed possible faults to a mechanical problem the thread/poster when a couple of my suggestions did not work (no cost was required with these 'test's and I was trying to go through things with a seperate post etc.)basically ended up telling me where to go in most colourful language!

Thanks For your advice its been great. Im going to look at the tube and the sensor later on and i understand it is just a case of trial and error until the solution is found and i seem to be on the right track now.

I did notice a large build up of soot on the exhaust which now sounds very low and rumbly (if thats a real word :S) so you seem to be right on the money.

Its wrong for people to place blame on you when your giving your time and advice but some people have no manners.

I'll check it soon and let you know what happens. After reading various forums it seems like this is a common problem with the G6 as well as the failing water pump so hopefully this thread will help other people as well as me.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick little update for anyone thats interested:

My MOT was due a few days ago so I took the lamda sensor off and cleaned it, sprayed it with WD40 and put it through the MOT to see if it would pass which it did.

When i was at the MOT the mechanic found that a brake caliper had ceased up. He freed it off and the car was fine for two days.

The caliper then ceased up again but this time it was pretty bad and it felt like the brakes were locked on.

Putting a new caliper on tomorrow.

BTW in the two days before the MOT the fuel economy increaed so it looks like it was a combination of the lambda sensor and the brakes.

^

Hey glad to hear the outcome :thumbsup:

Front caliper ...hmm bet it's sticking slides! ;) ...in other words YOU MAY NOT NEED NEW CALIPER!

• 8 months later...
I am afraid I have not had much experiance of aftermarket sensors although I see no problem as such but ...

the one you list is a 4 'WIRE' VERSION ...

...however late 90's Corollas use an old fashioned 2 WIRE Lambda sensor (the 1.6 does I know for certain, not sure about 1.3?)!

SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU BUY !!!

I've just remembered something else to check, but it's a 'long shot' (and could be cheaper!):- A build up of dirt/oil sludge in the Tube (approx 5mm in thickness) that runs from the MAP Sensor (little black unit mounted on the bulk head) to the inlet manifold. The pipe is fairly long and fitted with a one-way valve, oil mist and fuel vapour gradually get drawn in and block this tube. Tube might even be split but then this can make ECU then think Throttle is fully open!

Try cleaning through tube - or usually it will need a new one (it will if split!)

Before anyone says "why isn't engine light showing" or "no fault codes evident etc." the answer from my own experiance is that Nether Oxygen sensor failure or above mentioned vacuum tube 'throw up' a fault code.

**As a side note you may note from another of my posts in another thread that the water pump is now starting to become a failure point on this engine**

Finally: my total appologies if what I have mention does not rectify problem, as you must understand in ALL cases I am only going on my OWN and PERSONAL practical experiance - the reason I state this now is on one forum when I listed possible faults to a mechanical problem the thread/poster when a couple of my suggestions did not work (no cost was required with these 'test's and I was trying to go through things with a seperate post etc.)basically ended up telling me where to go in most colourful language!

Hi,

I am new here.

I have Toyota Corolla 1993 1.6 GLi Auto. Having problem with the petrol consumption . It gives me very low mileage (mix city and motorway). I normally buy £35 petrol 32.83 Litre..it gives me about 170 mile Max. Last time on £10 petrol 9.02 litre it gaves me 45 mile. So bad. I am learning and I have done diagonestic and there is no error code. Recently serviced and also changed the Lambda sensor...but no change. I have cheched coolant sensor by multimeter ..it works fine (learnt from you tube). Please hELP!!!!!!!

I know people are saying the lamda, have you thought ,it mite be the coolant temp sensor, a lot of the time when a engine is running rich this can be the cause

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links