Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Water Ingress Avensis 2002

tubaman

Just spotted I have a boot well full of water (2-3 inches) & an Accessories well also full of water - having read previous posts on the subject looks like a common problem.

On taking the rear light unit out, I find an inner seal which seems intact BUT as there appears to be no outer seal I cant see any method of stopping water ingressing to the accessories well from the boot gutter. Water must simply run into the boot gutter, then around the light unit (there is no seal, it just presses against the bodywork) then down into the accessories well (I`m talking about the rear o/s). Okay, the inner rear light seal stops water reaching the light electrics but it doesnt seem to stop the water running around the light unit & into the accessories well. Presumably the roof gutter & boot gutters are not supposed to drain into the accessories well but to the outside of the body ?

I suspect this has been happening over a period of years (5 & a bit to be precise!).

I`m really tempted to put a smear of silicone around the lamp units to slow th water ingress.

Anyone else solved the problem OR do you have same problem & don't know about it ?

Just spotted I have a boot well full of water (2-3 inches) & an Accessories well also full of water - having read previous posts on the subject looks like a common problem.

On taking the rear light unit out, I find an inner seal which seems intact BUT as there appears to be no outer seal I cant see any method of stopping water ingressing to the accessories well from the boot gutter. Water must simply run into the boot gutter, then around the light unit (there is no seal, it just presses against the bodywork) then down into the accessories well (I`m talking about the rear o/s). Okay, the inner rear light seal stops water reaching the light electrics but it doesnt seem to stop the water running around the light unit & into the accessories well. Presumably the roof gutter & boot gutters are not supposed to drain into the accessories well but to the outside of the body ?

I suspect this has been happening over a period of years (5 & a bit to be precise!).

I`m really tempted to put a smear of silicone around the lamp units to slow th water ingress.

Anyone else solved the problem OR do you have same problem & don't know about it ?

If you do a search there are few threads with this issue..........

In short, you need to check Moonroof drain tubes are not blocked ( if Moonroof spec ) & whether your tailgate is hard against seal.

If you have a moonroof, remove glass ( normally 4 screws ) & check 4 corners to ensure holes are not blocked. To adjust tailgate, remove lower scuff trim, loosen 2 screws on striker ( do not completely undo ), tap down 2/3 mm & re-tighten.This will ensure tailgate is compressed against seal. Done this on mine & boot is bone-dry.

Hi

Just check back on various recent-ish posts regarding water ingress. I have given up on this as I can't stop it. I have tried silicone and re-fitting the rubber seal etc, but to no avail. All I do now is put a super absorbent cloth in the well (where the jack is) and make sure I wring it out every day or so.

Its basically because the Avensis is a bit of a dog really and much like its predecessor the Carina and its all to do with the fact that they are nailed together in Burnaston in Derbyshire using a concoction of crap bits and pieces from France, Poland, Turkey etc. NOTHING whatsoever to do with a Japanese car.

See my previous posts on the difference between REAL Toyota's (ie: those really made in Japan) and the other pseudo Toyota's cobbled together in Derbyshire.

I have had 3 Celica's (gen 4,5, and 6), 3 Corolla's and a Camry. All made in Japan and were/are all wonderful, reliable and well made beautiful pieces of Japanese engineering....MADE IN JAPAN.

I have also owned a Carina and currently an Avensis, both of which have/are causing me problems, both mechanical and build problems. These 2 cars were made in Derbyshire. !!!??

I rest my case.

Hi,

I have taken a further look at the leak in my 2002 D4D Vermont Hatch (originally posted in another thread). The water is getting in through the seam between the rear quarter panel and the roof. This is under the black plastic strip which covers the roof gutter. I stripped the interior trim from around the rear quarter light and could see the water dripping in when I poured water over the roof gutter. I have lifted the plastic strip, filled the gutter with sikaflex and stuck the strip back down. Hopefully this will work. If it doesn't, I think I will take it to a body shop and get the seam resealed properly.

Hope this helps.

Andrew.

You may need to get it sealed correctly. Normal body sealant needs to be heated to make it expand & harden, so I would take it to have it done professionally.

nailed together in Burnaston in Derbyshire using a concoction of crap bits and pieces from France, Poland, Turkey etc. NOTHING whatsoever to do with a Japanese car.

See my previous posts on the difference between REAL Toyota's (ie: those really made in Japan) and the other pseudo Toyota's cobbled together in Derbyshire.

I have had 3 Celica's (gen 4,5, and 6), 3 Corolla's and a Camry. All made in Japan and were/are all wonderful, reliable and well made beautiful pieces of Japanese engineering....MADE IN JAPAN.

I have also owned a Carina and currently an Avensis, both of which have/are causing me problems, both mechanical and build problems. These 2 cars were made in Derbyshire. !!!??

as a team member at burnaston (for 14 years) i take offence at these comments :angry: . cars at burnaston are not put together in any different way to those in Japan. the parts are all made to the same drawings using equivalent materials. ALL vehicles go through multiple point quality confirmation checks. to say that the members there produce cr@p is an insult and something that disappoints me. imagine someone saying that what ever you did for a job was rubbish? how would you feel :angry: .

sounds like you have had some bad experiences, the avensis (mkII) is ONLY made in the UK so how can you compare that to Japanese production? it is even exported to Japan.

i presume you have owned all your cars from new? if not how do you know what was done before you had them? :unsure:

if all japanese production models are so perfect why are so many of the rav4 owners having problems?

back on topic.check where the moonroof drains exit the body (down in the jack area) and make sure the tubes havent become blocked there. dusting the area with talc may show up the waters path too

I tend to agree with NEWWY,I've got a 2001 1.8gs with 85,000 miles and I can honestly say it's the worst car I've ever owned.It seems to have most of the faults listed in these forums - drinks oil,boot full of water,squeaky steering rack ,cr*p radio etc etc. Maybe they are put together the same way as Japanese Toyotas but using inferior components sourced from all over Europe. I have tried to trade it in against a new car but all the local dealers I've tried are not interested in it and straight away ask how much oil it uses. The max I've been offered is £600! Vauxhall have been my salvation I've ordered a new Corsa and they are currently running a scheme to give you £1000 if you agree to scrap your car, can't wait to see the sh*t-heap crushed

the oil consumption problem is down to a design flaw, it wasnt designed in the UK ;).

it also affects the mr2 (mkIII), celica, corolla in fact pretty much any thing with the 1zz engine.

if a car has a design fault then its not the fault of the people who work long hours night and day putting them together!

the oil consumption problem is down to a design flaw, it wasnt designed in the UK ;).

it also affects the mr2 (mkIII), celica, corolla in fact pretty much any thing with the 1zz engine.

if a car has a design fault then its not the fault of the people who work long hours night and day putting them together!

Not just the 1zz-fe also the 3zz-fe and 4zz-fe. My 1.4 corolla was a oil burner and needed a short block, and my dads previous avensis 1.8 did. We still both brought other toyotas tho. On the whole they are very good cars, all cars have faults. On my 3rd toyota and would have another. My dads on his 3rd avensis and would have another toyota all have been sound cars apart from a oil issue and steering rack problem on his previous one.

Hi Guys,

I've got a W reg (2000) Avensis 1.8 GS which is also letting water in the boot and accessories area. Do you think it is better to strip the lights and the seals, and give them a good dry and put some silicone round the edges when i put it back in? or just tighten the nuts up.

I'm a disabled driver, but i can give most things a go.

I do have to say though, the Avensis is my favourite car, its the best car I've had and also the first toyota, but I'd definately have another!

:D

well worth giving it a go.

usually you can see a trail where the water is coming from

• 3 weeks later...
nailed together in Burnaston in Derbyshire using a concoction of crap bits and pieces from France, Poland, Turkey etc. NOTHING whatsoever to do with a Japanese car.

as a team member at burnaston (for 14 years) i take offence at these comments :angry: . cars at burnaston are not put together in any different way to those in Japan. the parts are all made to the same drawings using equivalent materials. ALL vehicles go through multiple point quality confirmation checks. to say that the members there produce cr@p is an insult and something that disappoints me. imagine someone saying that what ever you did for a job was rubbish? how would you feel :angry: .

sounds like you have had some bad experiences, the avensis (mkII) is ONLY made in the UK so how can you compare that to Japanese production? it is even exported to Japan.

i presume you have owned all your cars from new? if not how do you know what was done before you had them? :unsure:

if all japanese production models are so perfect why are so many of the rav4 owners having problems?

back on topic.check where the moonroof drains exit the body (down in the jack area) and make sure the tubes havent become blocked there. dusting the area with talc may show up the waters path too

Oooh ...... this thread is getting too heavy!

I have a 55 Avensis and my boot is dry as a bone!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links