Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flat Spot On Rev's

Mrdoody

The garage told me I've got a flat spot on my revs on the car. When you put the foot down on the revs, there's a moment where the revs don't pick up on there like its non responsive for a second at the start of the pressing of the pedal. Garage called it a flat spot.

Anyone know how this can happen and what the possible causes are? Apparently normally the engine management light should come on but it hasn't so the garage say its probs a coil pack or nothin major to worry about. Are there a number of reason this could be happening and will it get worse or affect the driving of the car?

I notice a lot of the time when changing gear, the car jerks momentarily. This is more in the lower 3 gears but I just put this down to the clutch maybe at first and ignored it. This flat spot thing is making me wonder whether it's related to this happening??????

Oh dear ............... Flat Spot on Revs/Rear Wipers not Working/No Heat through Vents ....... You aint bought a wrong-un have you? If you bought your motor via Mr T then all of this should be sorted via the purchasing dealership under warranty. If you have bought privately however then you are in for a hammering to your wallet. Good luck!

Oh dear ............... Flat Spot on Revs/Rear Wipers not Working/No Heat through Vents ....... You aint bought a wrong-un have you? If you bought your motor via Mr T then all of this should be sorted via the purchasing dealership under warranty. If you have bought privately however then you are in for a hammering to your wallet. Good luck!

I bought it on 01st Jan because my old car was ready to give my wallet a battering so i got rid of it. In the hope that this one, being a newer car from a car dealership would be just fine. I get married in July so I wanted a reliable car that wouldn't cost me anything over the next 6 months to 12 months at least to get us past the wedding as I couldn't afford any expensive car bills. How wrong cold I have been!!!

It came with a 30 day car warranty and 90 day engine warranty. I had to claim on my warranty at the end of Jan when the Catalytic converter went on it, now this! Am I now out of the original 30 day warranty or would it re start due to the Cat problem at the end of Jan???

What sort of things could be covered and classed as engine warranty then cos I'm still within this until the end of March???

Do me a favour please..

List all your problem sin one post so I can give you some ideas :)

also list the extact year.. make and model

size of engine etc

Hi,

Car is Avensis 1.8 Petrol X reg 2000, Vermont VVTi

1) Catylytic convertor went, apparently it had been welded when the last owner had it, but the crack travelled. This is now fixed, new CAT.

2) Hearters Blowing Cold Air - Resolved by topping up water in header tank twice and dispersing air through squeezing pipes.

3) Rear wipers not working in cold weather - Seems to be fine once warmed up, perhaps water freezing in mechanism?

4) Flat spot on revs - Ongoing thing. I only really notice when chaging gear, engine sometimes jerks momentarily straight after gear change and pressing revs.

5) Strange blowing noise in engine at front, mainly noticeable in confined areas or when passing walls, (drive thru at KFC/Macs etc). Similar to a bubbling/blowing sound like its blowing in a plastic chamber or somat.

6) Steering Squeels when full lock, reversing expecially, feels a bit like rubbing, metal or somat.

7) When braking hard or sudddenly, more though going downhill, it doesn't feel like its got great braking, it breaks gradually and slowly as thought its still travelling for a while before actually stopping, even though pressing the pedal quite hard. Just before the standstill it seems to brake quite harshly naturally and bring to an abrupt stop.

What do you think??? I paid £2,750 for this in Jan from a car dealership, not Toyota, an independant guy running his own garage for cars of 4 years old plus. He took it in part ex but says it was a reliable source. Car has evidence of regular servicing in the book but not had one for over 12 months now? What do you suggest re all of this?

3) Rear wipers not working in cold weather - Seems to be fine once warmed up, perhaps water freezing in mechanism?

Not a major issue, Its probably just the motor

You can test that. - check resistance on coils

4) Flat spot on revs - Ongoing thing. I only really notice when chaging gear, engine sometimes jerks momentarily straight after gear change and pressing revs.

You need to look at spark plugs / distributors, air flow sensor, air filter.

5) Strange blowing noise in engine at front, mainly noticeable in confined areas or when passing walls, (drive thru at KFC/Macs etc). Similar to a bubbling/blowing sound like its blowing in a plastic chamber or somat.

I would suspect that the issue with that noise is the undercarriage of the car has not been installed correctly (nuts missing).

Whilst driving the plastic is flexing and catching air.

6) Steering Squeels when full lock, reversing expecially, feels a bit like rubbing, metal or somat.

Is it a groaning noise ? or squeeling ?

If it is a groaning noise could be powerstering pump

if its squeeling, power steering belt, loose / or needs replacment.

7) When braking hard or sudddenly, more though going downhill, it doesn't feel like its got great braking, it breaks gradually and slowly as thought its still travelling for a while before actually stopping, even though pressing the pedal quite hard. Just before the standstill it seems to brake quite harshly naturally and bring to an abrupt stop.

Things you need to answer

brake pedal spongey ? > if yes could be air in the brakes system.

pesssing the brake twice/three times does it help slow down quicker ? How far is travel of brake pedal on each push ?

The only other thing is, it could be worn/bad discs and pads (they may have been glazed from excessive riding the pedal.)

What do you think??? I paid £2,750 for this in Jan from a car dealership, not Toyota, an independant guy running his own garage for cars of 4 years old plus. He took it in part ex but says it was a reliable source. Car has evidence of regular servicing in the book but not had one for over 12 months now? What do you suggest re all of this?

It would depend on mileage... but I think apart from the small issues you have i dont think you have been left with a bad deal. :)

Hi CMIA,

Deffo sounds like you know what you're talking about. Thanks for your post and addressing all of the unsolved issues, I think I can get somehwere with the brake pedal, its a case of new pads/shoes I think to be honest. Definately needs servicing.

It's great that this Toyota forum have people like you around. You do good work and should be recognised for it. Keep it up mate, I'm sure we all appreciate your help. Thank you!!!

Hi CMIA,

Deffo sounds like you know what you're talking about. Thanks for your post and addressing all of the unsolved issues, I think I can get somehwere with the brake pedal, its a case of new pads/shoes I think to be honest. Definately needs servicing.

It's great that this Toyota forum have people like you around. You do good work and should be recognised for it. Keep it up mate, I'm sure we all appreciate your help. Thank you!!!

Hi,

I'd like to second that and thank everybody for the help and advice offered on this site, totaly free of charge, my first, and usually only port of call when I need to query something about my car. Keep up the good work and thanks for your time and effort!

:D BenN74 :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links