Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Does This Warning Light Mean?

Killer Nads

Hello Everyone,

Im new here and this is my first post!

Im having trouble with a sign coming on, on my dashboard in my car (Toyota Avensis), sorry I couldnt tell you which model it is. Its about 3-4 years old!

Now I cant seem to find what the problem is and what the sign is refering to!

I had a look at the manual, but it doesnt state anything! All it says is take your car to a toyota dealer!

I want to do that after I know what it is first!

The sign itself is of sort of like a PIPE/TAP sign, its been on for about a week now but i dont really notice anything different! I thought that it could be the spark plugs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks.

This is known as a CEL (check engine light) or some call it the engine management light.

It looks like your Avensis has developed a fault of some sort, it could be something very simple or it could be something a little more serious. You need to take your car to ANY mechanic who has an OBDII code reader and connect to the car.. the light will flash in a certain sequence giving a code.. this code will refer to the fault.

Some codes and what they mean can be found here...

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Don't worry about it too much, but get the car checked out ASAP.. alternatively, disconnect the Battery for 10 minutes or so or pull out the ECU fuse, this will reset the system and clear the code (putting the light out).. if it comes back on.. get it checked.. if it stays off.. all should be ok.. just keep an aye open for it coming on again.

it could be

malfunction indicator lamp

look like this..?

clipimage001lz6.jpg

thanks for the help guys!

This is exactly what it is!

I will try to disconnect Battery and do as cfc1 has sujjessted! But if this doesnt fix it and I have to take it to a dealer anyone know how much it could cost to get it fixed?

Any idea how this could have occured also? The only thing that I have done unusual with the car in the past few weeks is charged my dads car Battery with my car Battery a few times in last few weeks!

thanks

Any idea how this could have occured also? The only thing that I have done unusual with the car in the past few weeks is charged my dads car battery with my car battery a few times in last few weeks!

thanks

OK.. first of all did the light come on straight after you charged your dads Battery with your Battery?.. was your Battery still connected to your car at the time?.. or do you mean that you gave your dad a jump start?

If this is the case you may (but maybe not.. don't panic yet) have just screwed your ECU, with the modern car it isn't advisable to use jump leads as it can lead to all manner of problems.(any loss of power?) Hopefully it isn't connected to anything you have done here.

Another reason and one of the many most common reasons for it to come on is a dirty sensor.. maybe a MAF sensor or Lambda sensor.. this is an easy fix (but depending on what sensor it is.. might be expensive)

You DO NOT need to go to a main dealer to get the code read, any garage that has a suitable code reader can do it.. (or you can buy a code reader yourself and do it, post the codes in here and someone might be able to tell you what it means).. the costs for a garage can vary, but expect around 40 - 45 quid to have it read.

1st thing you need is the code to be read.. then take it from there... good luck.

Any idea how this could have occured also? The only thing that I have done unusual with the car in the past few weeks is charged my dads car battery with my car battery a few times in last few weeks!

thanks

OK.. first of all did the light come on straight after you charged your dads Battery with your Battery?.. was your Battery still connected to your car at the time?.. or do you mean that you gave your dad a jump start?

If this is the case you may (but maybe not.. don't panic yet) have just screwed your ECU, with the modern car it isn't advisable to use jump leads as it can lead to all manner of problems.(any loss of power?) Hopefully it isn't connected to anything you have done here.

Another reason and one of the many most common reasons for it to come on is a dirty sensor.. maybe a MAF sensor or Lambda sensor.. this is an easy fix (but depending on what sensor it is.. might be expensive)

You DO NOT need to go to a main dealer to get the code read, any garage that has a suitable code reader can do it.. (or you can buy a code reader yourself and do it, post the codes in here and someone might be able to tell you what it means).. the costs for a garage can vary, but expect around 40 - 45 quid to have it read.

1st thing you need is the code to be read.. then take it from there... good luck.

thanks

Yeh I meant that I gave my dad a Jump Start a few times.

I will try to get the code, does that mean I need to pay £40 just to get the code? A bit pricey for a code hay? How much does that actual machine cost itself if I wanted to buy it?

thanks for the help

Yes.. its about 40 quid just to get the code read :(

code readers on ebay

Just make sure you get one thats compatable with your engine :)

Maybe there is a member here who lives nearby that has one you could borrow or go round and have the code read.

thanks

Thats a good idea.

How am I going to find someone though!

Anyone have a code reader? I live in Tooting/Streatham Area. Mitcham Lane to be exact!

thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links