Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rover V8 into Celica

dnac

no ive not......however its a dam sweet engine especially on carbs.

once the mount problem had been sorted i would imagine it would be a simple conversion,and sussing the gearbox out,but depending on your skills a sandwich,adaptor plate is simply manufactured and used as the joint between the V8 and your chosen gearbox.......obviuusly there are some other things to look at,but all in time ,all in time

I'm 2 years into dropping a RV8 into an 81' TA40 (2 door)Celica - here are the basics but if you want to know anything specific I'll be happy to help..

RV8 3.5 rebuilt

Weber 500 - Dual port inlet manifold -

does fit under standard bonnet.

Range Rover tubular headers

3.9 Cam

Mallory dizz

Ported etc.

Should be good for near 200BHP

Ford Transit radiator

This is all mounted on a fabricated x-member - fairly simple construction really.

All you need are basic tools really....

But took a long time to get right.

Its all 3D modelled (somewhere in the archives)I'll dig it out if you want .

Might be better ways of doing it but this way is v.strong, cheap and 'easy' to make.

The RV8 has it's sump at the rear, the 2TB that came out of the Celica has its sump at the front which is why I constructed my own x-member

Steering - Volvo 244 manual steering rack.

This is mounted infront of the axle.

The original steering box fouled the headers and the drop links sat where the v8 sump is.

This is all connected to a modified steering column with Flaming River U/J's and shaft - v.expensive but I don't like taking risks with steering.

Front struts/brakes are MA71 Supra items.

Easy swap that one.

They are swapped side to side though, which entails new steering arms to correct the ackerman problem.

Gearbox - Rover 5 speed

Modified existing mount to fit.

Fabricated new transmission tunnel to fit.

Rover prop shaft need lenghtening slightly but flange is same pcd as rear axle...well needs a little bit of machining.

Rear axle I'll leave as is....until I grenade it

Then I'll find something stronger.

And a million other little brackets and fixes that a project like this entails....

Still wanna try it?

As with most things like this, there's no right or wrong way to do it, this is just my way, but be prepeared for a lot of problems and some really 'dark' days.Still thats half the fun.

I have a million digi' photo's of everything I do, and probably been through most problems your likely to encounter, and will always like to help if I can.

I'm rambling on a bit now, but before I go can I ask you lot for some help..

Anybody know if a AE86 rear axle (LSD&discs) will 'bolt' on to a TA40 rear.

Looks pretty similar to me

I know they don't grow on trees.. but worth knowing.

Uprated suspension bushes for a TA40?

Usual supplier don't list 'em (just AE86's)

Body panels still available anywhere?

Front wings, rear wheelarch repair panels?

why not use a Volvo rear transaxle,these are bullet proof,i used one in a cortina i built years ago with a ............jag I6 4.0,was a bit nose heavy,but we did it to see if we can fit the jag engine in ....we did:o

Volvo rear end - did think about it.

It's a 4 bar too I think.

Never got round to measuring one though.

And I'd have different wheels (pcd) on the back - could sort that I guess.

The TA40 axle looks fairly meaty though, do you think it'll put up with the V8 for long? - assuming I'm gentle (?) with her.

Hence really my question about the AE86 rear end - didn't the post '87 have thicker drive shafts as well?

to be honest im no expert on the older toyota's,

i do know that the volvo rear is widely used in the hotrod scene,can be chopped relativly easily,and as you state is a multi link set up

What's on the back end of a IS200?

Guess it's IRS

Probably a bit OTT for my TA40

Still I'd like to know, you occasionally see 'em necked in the scrappers....

Always carry my spanners with me.

yep IRS,sits with its diff in a cradel,would actually be a simple fit if the chassis floor is plated flat and mounts attatched to fix the cradel.....hmmmmmm

then spring and strut ...upto the tower

What..dare I say it Sierra style?

More like a Jag' IRS?

Now there's a nice set up... complex but still can't get it off my wish list.

Pity it weighs more than a complete Rover V8.

Did originally plan on a Lexus V8 for the TA40 - Stupid money in this country.

Looked at importing one from OZ.

Would have cost me about 2K with the wiring & ECU - only auto though.

Did read somebody had bolted this to a Supra TT 6 speeder - well beyond my budget by this time.

About time Toyota put the Quad cam in the IS200.

Anybody tried that yet?

yep,ive worked on the 4.3 V8 at TTE in Cologne,i go down there several times a year

however the is430 will not be getting released in this chassis format

I would like to see some photos of your car and conversion please, Have'nt sourced a Car yet, but still working on it, if you know of any I am always interested

I'll get some photo's up this weekend

Not sure where yet, I'll find somewhere out there though...

Will post and let you know.

As far as finding a suitable car, can't help you there, sorry.

Just keep looking in the usual places I guess. I've seen a few up for sale in the last year, local papers, eBay, preloved etc, though I'm sure they were 3 door RA40's ,

Can't say I've seen a 2 door TA40 in a while.

I prefer the look of the 2 door but as a kid only remember the the 3 door, so haven't got a clue how many 2 doors they imported? They might be quite rare in which case I'll probably be lynched for the RV8 installation. The way I see it though is at least I saved a an old Toyota from the crusher - and as I'm builing it as a 'sleeper' it will look like a fairly standard TA40

Did spend a long time considering what to do with it. Always wanted to keep it strictly Toyota. Was hooked on a 4A-GZE (1600 S/charged) for a long while. Fairly easy swap that according to my research.

Then I got into the Jap' homemarket inline sixes (2 litre S/charged) - found some fairly detailed info' on stuffing one into a RA40.

Can't remember the link, but throw it into google, it'll turn up.

Lexus V8 was next and nearly went for it, but the costs just kept going up, and so ended up with the Rover V8 - it's not a Toyota I know, but it's still a choice motor.

All alloy (weighs a lot less than the 4/1600 2TB I pulled out of there) powerful enough in standard tune, right vintage for the TA40, the noise, tunable, fitted with a carb' and dizzy so I know what wrong with it, and can fix it by the kerb with a sharpen'd stick. Did I mention the noise?

Anyway I'll get some photo's up, and if you need any further info' will be glad to help.

Thanks for all the info, One other thing, have you had to uprate the chassis, or is it strong enough?. May consider sticking a supercharger on it in the future, it'll look real mad max then, and the noise from that is out of this world

just thought..............

if you wanna keep the family linear going,im taking my 2.0litre inline 6 24v out of my IS200 in jan to make way for a Supra conversion......

the engine will be complete with the 6 speed g-box

I have'nt got a car yet, and could not promise that I would buy the engine, but out of interest what sort of money would a motor like that go for???

id take £2000 for the engine and gearbox

its only 12 months old,oil changed every 2000 miles

the engine would be complete,with all ancils........as would the gearbox

Ouch - 2k

Can't deny it's a good price for this motor and box though. Do like sixes.....

If somebody wanted one for a conversion it'd be ideal, it is just with engines this modern it's all sensors and ECU's. You could miss 1 wire or 1 sensor and the thing ain't gonna be happy.

If you wanted to transplant something as deep as this I'd prefer to do it with a front cut and then you'd know you've got everything - Pity they seem illegal in the UK - Insurance reasons I guess.

I guess your not gonna offer your motor as a front cut... :D

Supra conversion sounds worth it.

Is this the 'same' motor as they put in the IS300 'estate' ?

DNAC

As far as chassis 'strenghtening' goes...

I always have a problem with questions like this.

If you define the chassis as suspension/brakes/steering - then yes it's just common sense to upgrade what you can, even on a standard car. This though (as far as I'm concerned) does not make it safer, it just means you can push it further until you find its' limits.

In experienced hands this could be defined as a good thing, though if you've never 'enjoyed' a powerful RWD car on the limit, it might be better to find those limits at 20MPH on a wet roundabout, than 60 on a sweeping RH bend that tightens up.......

As I said in an earlier post , there's not really a right way or a wrong way...just your (approriate) way.

You can uprate a chassis to do many things - not all these modifications will be suitable for everyones' driving style, road conditions, experience.....and a million other variables.

Trying to keep up with an Impreza on a damp A road is going to take a completely different setup to trying to put 300BHP down on the 1/4 mile....you will always end up with a compromise.

If however you mean is the Shell of the car able to handle the power of a mild V8 without 'snapping in half' then in my opinion... yes.

The Shell of a a TA40 seems strong enough in the critical areas, but I can only base this on my experience of previous projects, my training, and a 'feel' for engineering things..if you know what I mean.

Enough post pub ramblings... I've got to put the diff' back together tomorrow so I'll have to bail now.

I saw a rover v8 conversion before. Was called Rooster Racing conversion. Don't know who they were.

There is a chap who does stuff with gearboxes etc for mounting a rover v8 to a W50 celica gearbox i think.. Called classic conversions. They have a webiste too.

I also saw a few years back at JAE show a TA40 with rover v8, bright yellow. V.V.clean and louD! Have a digital pic somewhere..

Andrew

79 RA40 18rg turbo efi.

Essex.

Originally posted by dnac

Has anyone ever had experience of fitting a rover or other V8 into a Celica.  

Hi there, i'll seen a few conversions over the year at the Billing show.

Theres a guy in the TEC club that has fitted a rover V8 in a TA22, also seen a TA40 coupe with a big block V8 fitted and 2 or 3 years back a guy from europe came to the show and he had a supra turbo engine in a RA28.

So yes ,can be done , good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links