Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Light

geomowat

Having recently acquired a 1995 3-door RAV4 I am trying to get it in order. After a minute or two of driving, the yellow engine light comes on, if I turn the ignition off, then this extinguishes it for another minute or two of driving. I should like to buy a gadget to read the codes, but I believe that this warning system is pre-OBD II (OBD 1?) and wondered what people used (I am in the UK) to extract the code for what is switching this? Also, on Mark I RAV4s sold in the UK, where exactly are the diagnostic sockets located?

I have just had the head gasket replaced by an independent garage which does (so far) not seem to be able to read whichever code is triggering the light with any of their scanners (which I suspect are OBDII scanners). I suspect all is not well with the idle air control valve department as the idle is slow for a cold start, then rises with the coolant temperature to 1,300+rpm over the next ten minutes or so.

Sorry if this question has been asked many times, but I have not revealed the answer in any of my searches.

Any information will be most gladly received.

Just sit tight until bothy comes online. I think you can get basic info from flash codes.

Bothy is a creature of the night and is probably asleep in the loft with his bats and owls. If not he will be on the carpet drunk from the various petro chemicals that are is favourite tipple.

He knows his 4.1s though!!!

Just sit tight until bothy comes online. I think you can get basic info from flash codes.

Bothy is a creature of the night and is probably asleep in the loft with his bats and owls. If not he will be on the carpet drunk from the various petro chemicals that are is favourite tipple.

He knows his 4.1s though!!!

Wrong - I have been busy watching/urging the welsh onto to win the Grand Slam and am now equally busy watching Scotland winning at the rugby at half time....

will post up some flash codes and more when game is finished...

I have been busy watching/urging the welsh onto to win the Grand Slam and am now equally busy watching Scotland winning at the rugby at half time....

Clearly the shock of us winning the Calcutta Cup (I suppose to be politically correct, we should now call it the Kolkata Kup!) has overwhelmed the good intent? Thanks to both Bothy and Anchorman and I look forward to discovering how I can extract these codes from my 4.1 as the garage who installed the new cylinder head has gone remarkably quiet on the subject of my engine warning light.

Geo.

I have been busy watching/urging the welsh onto to win the Grand Slam and am now equally busy watching Scotland winning at the rugby at half time....

Clearly the shock of us winning the Calcutta Cup (I suppose to be politically correct, we should now call it the Kolkata Kup!) has overwhelmed the good intent? Thanks to both Bothy and Anchorman and I look forward to discovering how I can extract these codes from my 4.1 as the garage who installed the new cylinder head has gone remarkably quiet on the subject of my engine warning light.

Geo.

Haven't forgotten! I will look through my scans as I know I've got them somewhere - they were on my website but thats down just now for renewal....so I'll pick up the files from my main computer - just that the files start SKMBT...................

The joy of not bothering to save files under a common sense name!! I'll get the stuff in the next 3 hours......

Geo.

Haven't forgotten! I will look through my scans as I know I've got them somewhere - they were on my website but thats down just now for renewal....so I'll pick up the files from my main computer - just that the files start SKMBT...................

The joy of not bothering to save files under a common sense name!! I'll get the stuff in the next 3 hours......

here we go -

I wish!

I'm trying to locate the codes for thew pre OBD II system and can't find where I had them!! My website access has corrupted for some reason so I should get a response back from rackspace as they are pretty quick - I think the files I need are within one of the domains there that i have. sorry. I'll keep looking as they were defo there.

Somebody posted these once before. I might have them in my autodata book but can't look now cos its out in the garage.

If you can't find it by the time I come home tomorrow bothy I'll go and have a look.

Somebody posted these once before. I might have them in my autodata book but can't look now cos its out in the garage.

If you can't find it by the time I come home tomorrow bothy I'll go and have a look.

I remember posting them a few months ago - just can't remember how I did it. beginning to wonder if I typed it all in. One of my handbooks is with the 2nd RAV in the garage....and I've gone cross-eyed trying to read the manual I have at home + trying to retrieve files from the website....off for a wine tasting today so might be cross-eyed again when i get back (it only happens once a week)

Not a direct answer to your question, but this link might be useful:

http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/home_ga...to/obd_dtc.html

I have a 3-door petrol manual 1995 (April) RAV as well, and the Diagnostics port is fairly obvious at the front left hand side of the engine compartment. It actually says "Diagnostics" on it, which I had to point out to the garage when they were tearing out the interior trim looking for it. They were able to get readings from it though.

As for slow idling when cold (700 RPM) and racing when warmed up (1400 RPM), I have the same problem and tend to agree that it's the Idle Air Control Valve. As it's €300 plus VAT here, I'm going to try everything else first. I'd be grateful for information/advice if you get anywhere with your problem.

(By the way my engine management light isn't on.)

Not a direct answer to your question, but this link might be useful:

http://www.geocities.com/dtmcbride/home_ga...to/obd_dtc.html

Thanks for this, I shall wade through its implications

I have a 3-door petrol manual 1995 (April) RAV as well, and the Diagnostics port is fairly obvious at the front left hand side of the engine compartment. It actually says "Diagnostics" on it, which I had to point out to the garage when they were tearing out the interior trim looking for it. They were able to get readings from it though.

I had spotted this one, but like you, the non-Toyota garage seemed to think that it needed to delve under the interior trim for other diagnostic points — thus my question about what to measure, what people use, and where they get the codes.

As for slow idling when cold (700 RPM) and racing when warmed up (1400 RPM), I have the same problem and tend to agree that it's the Idle Air Control Valve. As it's €300 plus VAT here, I'm going to try everything else first. I'd be grateful for information/advice if you get anywhere with your problem.

(By the way my engine management light isn't on.)

If I get to the bottom of it I shall pass on any intelligence gained, I must say that the fact your light is not on makes me wonder if there is more than one malfunction on my car.

I notice that you are in a fairly remote location and wonder how practical it is to run such a relatively modern car that seems so fussy and secretive about its failings? I am used to using cars that are 30 - 50 years old and I can diagnose faults and keep such vehicles going. A local seems to have to take his Toyota pick-up a couple of hundred miles south to the nearest dealer when things get tricky.

George

I notice that you are in a fairly remote location and wonder how practical it is to run such a relatively modern car that seems so fussy and secretive about its failings? I am used to using cars that are 30 - 50 years old and I can diagnose faults and keep such vehicles going. A local seems to have to take his Toyota pick-up a couple of hundred miles south to the nearest dealer when things get tricky.

My local mechanic has a 94 Japanese import RAV himself, which I thought would be an advantage, but whenever I go in with mine he says yes I have that problem too and shakes his head. He did try cleaning the throttle body, and I was sure it was going to work, like this:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11555

but the only effect was to increase warm idle revs from 1200 to 1400.

Waded thru stuff last night til 2am. Got into my website and couldn't find the posts there - mainly brakes and cambelt stuff. Pored over the Haynes manual from USA I have and the cars handbook and still haven't found it....also looked through hundreds of posts on here!

The engine is the 3SFE which was fitted into other Toyota cars

I notice that you are in a fairly remote location and wonder how practical it is to run such a relatively modern car that seems so fussy and secretive about its failings? .

My local mechanic has a 94 Japanese import RAV himself, which I thought would be an advantage, but whenever I go in with mine he says yes I have that problem too and shakes his head.

Oh dear, I suspect I have made the same mistake and should return to running old cars in such locations: when they go wrong, I stand a reasonable chance of repairing them.

He did try cleaning the throttle body, and I was sure it was going to work, like this:

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11555

but the only effect was to increase warm idle revs from 1200 to 1400.

Oh dear, based upon my limited detective work I was just about to do this, but am now less encouraged to do so. My idle (when warm) has now increased to 1,400 rpm before I clean the thing! Thanks for the useful link though. Interestingly, these photographs are similar to the layout of pipes in the Chilton manual and are not quite the same as on my car. Where can one find a reliable illustration of what goes or comes from where?

George

Waded thru stuff last night til 2am. Got into my website and couldn't find the posts there - mainly brakes and cambelt stuff. Pored over the Haynes manual from USA I have and the cars handbook and still haven't found it....also looked through hundreds of posts on here!

Thanks Bothwell, I have been trying to establish quite which engine (in Toyota-speak) my RAV has and the handbook refers to it as 3SFE. but this does not seem to make sense to some parts suppliers. I know how it is trying to find ancient files, so do not spend an undue amount of time on this (even if it will be gratefully received).

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have the Chilton (USA) manual and the American Haynes one is co-edited by the same person and seems to contain common photographs. I gather that Haynes is promising a UK one (years and engine type unspecified) by about September of this year. Their publishing schedule is reasonably accurate, so we shall see.

Best wishes,

George

Thanks Bothwell, I have been trying to establish quite which engine (in Toyota-speak) my RAV has and the handbook refers to it as 3SFE. but this does not seem to make sense to some parts suppliers. I know how it is trying to find ancient files, so do not spend an undue amount of time on this (even if it will be gratefully received).

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have the Chilton (USA) manual and the American Haynes one is co-edited by the same person and seems to contain common photographs. I gather that Haynes is promising a UK one (years and engine type unspecified) by about September of this year. Their publishing schedule is reasonably accurate, so we shall see.

Best wishes,

George

If I can find out from my local friendly chap (Marc) at The Garage, I'll let you know. He is normally off on a wednesday so i emailed him.

:rolleyes: Hi all'

The code reading is quite simple its done by shorting the wires in the Diagnostics box in the engine compartment,I think off the top of my head its terminals T1 and E1 ,will check these up for you,you can see the terminal position in the inside of the cover, short the wires with something ie a paperclip,turn on the ignition and count the flashes on the warning light,it will keep repeating itself and there maybe more than one code,the codes are in two didgets ie 23. if you have more than one code you will have to erase all codes to see which ones reappear you can clear the memory by removing the efi fuse for 5 mins or disconnecting the Battery,let me know what the codes are .

Best wishes,

George

If I can find out from my local friendly chap (Marc) at The Garage, I'll let you know. He is normally off on a wednesday so i emailed him.

I've posted up the flash codes under new topics, and under the headings ecu; transmission; and immobilizer. I have the SRS System codes to do as well.

Hopefully this will help solve your problem without having to fly in chatman and anchorman from the southern hemisphere!! (There's no trains to Orkney by the way!)

:rolleyes: Can I just add on the terminals that need to be shorted they are TE1andE1 and not as I prevoiusly stated.On another note anyone know why when I reply I drag lots of quotes with my message and also why Iam I the only one with a edit button?Thanks

I've posted up the flash codes under new topics, and under the headings ecu; transmission; and immobilizer. I have the SRS System codes to do as well.

Hopefully this will help solve your problem without having to fly in chatman and anchorman from the southern hemisphere!! (There's no trains to Orkney by the way!)

Instead of hitting the reply button which automatically quotes the box above it, hit the add reply button below and a new clear box will open.

:rolleyes: Can I just add on the terminals that need to be shorted they are TE1andE1 and not as I prevoiusly stated.On another note anyone know why when I reply I drag lots of quotes with my message and also why Iam I the only one with a edit button?Thanks

Youv'e been sampling too much of Mary Ann mate ?

Cheers bothy, my autodata book doesn't have any RAVs in it (too old) (the book not me) (well the book and me).

For the benifit of all you grockles, Mary Ann is/was a Jersey Brewery :lol:

Thank gawd fur that - thocht it wis Flossies pal!

Thank gawd fur that - thocht it wis Flossies pal!

Not many sheep on Jersey but plent of Kye Bothy ;)

Many thanks to all (and especially those useful bits from Bothwell — do thank your Motherwell garage ) I now discover that the fault code is 52 which translates as the Knock sensor with the other suggestions being the wiring and the ECM. I shall not be able to investigate this further until the weekend (well, sometimes one has to do work!), so any suggestions that anyone has in the meantime, please post them on.

George

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links