Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Your Thoughts On Redex Please.

Zincubus

I have felt that my Rav4 4.1 W reg 2000 has been a lttlle sluggish of late .

My neighbour has offered me half a bottle of REDEX and he reckons that it will clean the injectors and I should notice a difference . He also reckons that it can't do any damage either way .

Your thoughts please - I did a SEARCH and found ONE reply .

Thanks

I have felt that my Rav4 4.1 W reg 2000 has been a lttlle sluggish of late .

My neighbour has offered me half a bottle of REDEX and he reckons that it will clean the injectors and I should notice a difference . He also reckons that it can't do any damage either way .

Your thoughts please - I did a SEARCH and found ONE reply .

Thanks

To be honest, I've never used it for many years. I suppose it can clean away some of the gunge build up, but decent modern petrol has additives which do that job. I was told by an Esso bod that supermarket petrol used continually can add wear to the engine, so even if you put in 'branded' petrol from time to time is advantageous.

I only use Shell V-Power higher octane stuff, and it does make a difference. There was a programme this week/last week on the benefits of using higher octane and they found it does give extra mpg....partly cos it gives the engine more power so you use less petrol to do the same.

Give it a try if you don't already use it.

I don't see any great harm in trying our Redex - and again try each thing separately so you can gauge the difference.

As Bothwell has said, Supermarket petrol doesn't contain all the good addictives that branded petrol does. Standard branded petrol is better than standard Supermarket petrol. Your best bet would be to use branded super unleaded all the time, as this cleans your engine and is all round better.

If it costs too much to put super unleaded in all the time, use standard branded fuel and put in an addictive. REDEX is ok, but for every tank you have to use half the bottle (going by their standard size). I used to use this all the time, that was until I looked into better fuel system cleaners. The real good ones cost anything upto £15, though around the £10 is the general price. I use STP full fuel system cleaner (Black bottle), which is about £6 to £7. You put the whole bottle in when you fill up, then you don't need to put anymore in for another 3000 miles. You can get a red bottle which is a bit cheaper, but that lasts 1000 miles. After using STP it does seem better than REDEX, although without stripping the engine I can't compare, but I've had no problem with it.

So I use standard Shell unleaded, with STP fuel cleaner every 3000 miles. Plus as a bonus, every now and then I treat myself to V-Power.

REDEX is fine, but should be used in every tank to get the best out of it. That means spending about £3 a bottle, which would last 2 tank fulls!

Redex should be OK - although I've had one bad experience with it ( many moons ago )

I used to drive Mini's and one of them was a bit 'off' once so I put some Redex in the tank. It dissolves the crud in the fuel system - unfortunately there was a LOT of crud in this one and it obviously dislodged a chunk which then got sucked into the carb and blocked it. After a good sulk and a night down the pub I returned to my car the next day to find it working beautifully - the blockage in the carb had dissolved overnight. Modern fuels are much better at keeping systems clean than the old stuff used to be.

Thanks for the comments.

TO sum up - is it safe to try half a bottle of REDEX in the Rav ??

Thanks for the comments.

TO sum up - is it safe to try half a bottle of REDEX in the Rav ??

I assume you mean to put it in the tank?? Its illegal to drink and drive!! Unless you are stopped somewhere safe and don't spill it. personally, I stick to whisky.

I decided to play safe and got a FULL tank of Super UnLeaded from a BRANDED ... BP station .... 1.21 / litre !!!!

It seemed a bit smoother when I drove of though ... or was that my mind playing tricks ?

I decided to play safe and got a FULL tank of Super UnLeaded from a BRANDED ... BP station .... 1.21 / litre !!!!

It seemed a bit smoother when I drove of though ... or was that my mind playing tricks ?

I pay £1.10 roughly for Shell V Power.

Yes it does make a difference - and yes the engine will run smoother.

I wouldn't use any additives in fuel or oil and my feeling is that if you ask the manufacturers of oil or fuel they would urge you not to do so.

In my experience I also believe that high grade fuel is better and take the extra price on the chin. I don't mind the price of the fuel its the 70% duty used to furnish London penthouses (amongst other things) that I object to.

Thanks guys I will use decent BRANDED Super Unleaded from now on.

Although is it worth shoving this HALF bottle in anyway .... can it do ANY harm ??

It will burn so it might even give you a couple of miles!!!

Joking aside it won't do any harm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links