Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lack Of A 2.2 D4d Automatic

Ian in Holland

When I bought my 2.2 D4D recently, I wanted an automatic gearbox. Of course, such an option is not available. I asked the dealer why not, he told me it was so that the whole range of Toyotas would meet emission targets. He says he's lost a lot of business because of not being able to offer an automatic.

This sounded odd, but then I read this (see the last paragraph):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7308036.stm

Said dealer then told me this was the reason that Mercedes became involved with Smart - they can offset them against their bigger models. Maybe also why BMW now sell Minis?

So it's not enough that I'm now paying additional "green" taxes on buying the car and fuelling it, these emission rules also govern what cars a manufacturer can offer.

Wonderful...

Ian

Hmmm interesting that is ! didnt know reason they didnt offer automatic is emission reasons but yet again, with toyota selling very well so making alot of cash compared to other brands i would of thought toyota would design it to meet the emissions target, mazda 6 did with their manual gearbox when it got facelift but i dont know much about all this emssions + gearbox stuff..... :rolleyes: i heard reason why lexus is220d dont have automatic is because of demand or shall i say lack of it, i somehow dont believe it as bmw, mercedes audi & other cars similer size have automatic diesels & had done for long time even quite lot of korean cars passenger + offroad have diesel auotomatics!!

I have been looking to replace my 1.6 Corolla Auto with a mid powered (1.8 - 2.2) Diesel auto but was told by two different main dealers that Toyota don't do them because there is no demand. The only diesel auto that you can get is 1.4 90bhp from the Yaris, which is under powered in the Auris. There must be enough demand if VW, BMW, Skoda Vauxhall etc do them.

I have been looking to replace my 1.6 Corolla Auto with a mid powered (1.8 - 2.2) Diesel auto but was told by two different main dealers that Toyota don't do them because there is no demand. The only diesel auto that you can get is 1.4 90bhp from the Yaris, which is under powered in the Auris. There must be enough demand if VW, BMW, Skoda Vauxhall etc do them.

Thats what i saying there must be demand of lot of people offer them like some vectra & mondeo diesel got automatics, dont think they use to say in the late 90's/ early 2000 period & as said korean cars like hyundai sonata & kia do, its strange apart from japanese 4x4's where u can get auto diesels here still lot (not all) of japanese passenger cars dont have auto diesels in UK yet when far back in the 80's in japan they already had automatic diesels like on corolla's / galants & camrys....so not as if anythings new really :rolleyes:

Manufacturers of cars in Europe are under a strict timetable for reducing emissions. They have all agreed to reduce emissions by X amount, and I think the year is 2010??? anyway, that is the reason for manufacturers selling more diesels, less automatics, and the new MMT's

I am lead to believe that the new 2009 Avensis will have a proper automatic diesel option

Manufacturers turn the green issue to their advantage "we care about the environment" should read "we have been told to reduce emissions or else"

Some manufacturers buy into smaller greener cars (Smart) others produce smaller more fuel efficient, others like Toyota have joined forces with PSA to produce Aygo, C1 etc which leads to economy of scale :D: You also have hybrid models which also contribute to the lowering of the average CO2. You then find there is room for the ocasional gas guzzler like Landcruiser V8, as there will only ever be a handful of them in the country

So the reason you dont see your diesel automatic is simple, it doesnt suit the manufacturers CO2 policy

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yep; there certainly is demand for an automatic 2.2 D4D. Not sure about the UK, but cars are banded on emissions here in Holland. The Prius is group A, the manual 2.2 D4D is group D, the 2.4 manual is a D and the automatic is an F. I think Toyota's concern isn't that there'd be too little demand, rather there'd be too much demand for an automatic, and they wouldn't be able to meet their precious emission targets.

This 130g/km business is apparently a voluntary limit (obviously, otherwise lots of manufacturers would be getting shut down). Toyota seem to be the goody two-shoes on the block - just read the archives for the annoyances they build in like seat belt beepers, satnav disclaimer screens etc. I suppose it just needs more people to buy the Prius, and then they could put a planet-destroying auto box in the D4D.

In the meantime, I hear that we're in for the coldest Spring in 40-odd years. Must be global warming and all that excessive CO2 that we're emitting ;-)

Ian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links