Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In Desperate Need Of Front Discs And Pads

Danny_TTE_compressor

HMMM, i'll take your advice on board. i might raise the issue with my race tutor........he might not agree.......

i think your mistaking late braking for a bad thing, no fast driver has used engine braking since the invention of disc brakes!

Anyone who has had proper racing tuition (with a proper race driver, not some geezer who did rallying in the 80's and charges £200 for the day) would know you never engine brake on a circuit, you are told the engine is for going the brakes for stopping, simple stuff lol,

oh professional drivers, well forgive me, you must be fantastic, 'bus drivers' known for their ability to driving at high speeds, lorry drivers the same. Taxi drivers.....always have dents in their cars,.....fleet drivers, well they just sit on motorways, they dont do corners nor traffic coming the other way....so unless your second names are Hamilton, Hill, Mcrae, Moss, etc etc please dont patronise me.

and.......10 years my senior, oldie, your reactions will be ebbing away and your eyesight failing......no wonder you brake early

I think this calls for a track day meet (with new brakes fitted obviously) and i will take it steady for the old grandad t sports. lol

All in good fun lads (well gents) dont start getting irritable in your old age...............

i'm still a lad kid! we aint talking about tracks! engine braking - who mentioned that. smoothness is the key to speed. grandad? come the rollling road day and we will see - get me

i would'nt want to show all the n/a 'rollas up.........lol, only joking, i dare'nt! if mine is'nt putting decent power out i'll be gutted!

thats 4 of us from chester! we are doing rolling road in june - 2 of us from chester already going....... are you gonna be the 3rd foxx?

Heh heh, fellow Cestrian eh ae102!

Naw I think i'll pop mine through its major service in September before I start putting it on rolling roads as I dont know whats been done to it since I bought it in October (sparks etc?), but mines pretty average at the moment so I would expect anything out of the normal. Pulls well enough ;) Thanks for the invite anyways.

Odd that the brakes would be failing like that, I'd agree if you did a lot of track days it might lead to those sorts of problems. But hey most of us have had previous cars and never had these sorts of problems im sure, but I doubt the discs are any different from those found on other cars right?

think thats the problem, upped the power and left the brakes on from a diesel 'rolla. i do track it a bit and i live in the country.....winding roads.....no police......no cameras that send you presi's in the post.......all lends itself to tired brakes.

toyota are'nt stupid, they keep putting new discs and pads on it under warranty and apologising a lot. im sure if it was my driving they would be making me pay for what are, afterall, consumables.......dont ya think........

• 2 weeks later...

ALL SORTED. after my cars quick visit to the dealer the brakes are all sorted under warranty. the discs were cracked so toyota have admitted they have a problem with them not being able to take the loads and are quite happy to keep giving me a 12 month warranty on the discs. knowing full well they last me 6. so basically so long as they crack before 12 months is up i get new discs! thats a result in my book.

so just to confirm the discs are not really upto the job and it has nothing to do with my driving....in the words of the service guy "it looks like you drive it like it should be driven, fixing its our problem"

You can definitely still get Mintex pads in response to one of the other members (forgot to quote soz) cos I'm picking mine up on Saturday morning and I was suprised to find out they'd only be £26 plus VAT for both. Although must admit that my dad sourced them for me so its probably through someone he knows - him being a mechanic - !Removed! handy I must say!

I'll find out the part number from the paperwork and post it at the weekend.

danny........... well i have been putting a bit of thought into this, obviously the discs are warping/cracking due to overheating. i dont drive as hard as you seem to and the comp has a bit more go. i change my pads before they are half worn and no they dont last long - in 6 months of driving (5k) i change the pads so's they dont ever get thin. my theory is the pads are wearing quickly - although there my be a bit of meat left on them they will be thin. i'm wondering if the pads are getting that hot - thin things heat faster and can get very hot quickly - that the discs cant disepate the heat being generated causing the discs to warp then ultimately crack. just a theory as its not a common problem on them. we all accept the pads n discs arent any good so i adjust my driving accordingly. another point is if you are braking that late/hard you arent leaving much room for the unexpected, you have a very nice car - maybe treat it more with the respect its due? Or buy a big brake kit!!

For gods sake girls put your handbags away!

(By the way this is meant jokingly before anyone reacts badly!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links