Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Cap Lock Out Of Order

captain06

Hi, ran into a bit of a problem with my avensis today. As it happened I pulled up to the pump at the petrol station, pushed the fuel flap open button on the drivers side door, filled up. As i was trying to close the flap it would not lock into place. As the mechanism is electric, before on pushing the fuel flap open button inside the car, it made a 'robotic' sound by which you could tell the fuel cap had opened. That has now stopped. On closer examination of the fuel cap area I found that a when you close the fuel cap a pin from the side is supposed to shoot out and lock the flap into place.

At the moment the fuel flap is closed using a piece of paper lodged between the flap and the body. All other electrics on the car are working fine.

Any help on how to rectify this problem would be greatly appreciated.

The actuator (motor) could have stopped working or the plastic plunger that holds the fuel flap closed may also have broken. I replaced one at work recently - not much of a job really.

Remove the N/S/R inner trim from the boot and you will be able to see the actuator bolted (1x10mm bolt) to the inner wing area.

Simply unbolt it and check the plunger, if this is fine then give the actuator a 12v feed (if it moves in/out it is fine - if not then a new one is needed)

If the plunger and actuator are fine they either may have jammed or there is no feed to the actuator (fuse/wiring etc)

Mart.

The actuator (motor) could have stopped working or the plastic plunger that holds the fuel flap closed may also have broken. I replaced one at work recently - not much of a job really.

Remove the N/S/R inner trim from the boot and you will be able to see the actuator bolted (1x10mm bolt) to the inner wing area.

Simply unbolt it and check the plunger, if this is fine then give the actuator a 12v feed (if it moves in/out it is fine - if not then a new one is needed)

If the plunger and actuator are fine they either may have jammed or there is no feed to the actuator (fuse/wiring etc)

Mart.

thanks for your reply mart. I managed to find the actuator. The power supply was fine so I figured the motor had burned out so I removed it. After playing with it for 5 mins the plunger popped out. It had actually jammed after all. I've fitted it back in and its working a treat.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links