Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Indicator Stalk Problem

Twixer

Hi all, I have a a Toyota corolla T3 vvti, 3 door hatchback, 2003 model,Initially the left turn signal would not cancel now the right turn signal is the same, am I right in guessing that the entire unit has to be replaced as it is not repairable? if so can any of you guys point me to a decent supplier the wont rip me off? [been quoted approx £130.00]

p.s. its the model with front fog lamps.

Hi all, I have a a Toyota corolla T3 vvti, 3 door hatchback, 2003 model,Initially the left turn signal would not cancel now the right turn signal is the same, am I right in guessing that the entire unit has to be replaced as it is not repairable? if so can any of you guys point me to a decent supplier the wont rip me off? [been quoted approx £130.00]

On my corolla it takes nearly a quarter of a turn to cancel the indicator, both ways. Sure its not that. On my old car didn't take half as much

On my corolla it takes nearly a quarter of a turn to cancel the indicator, both ways. Sure its not that. On my old car didn't take half as much

Thank for the input, but no its not that, I have tried almost a full turn and it still won't cancel either way, I was kinda hoping some electrical tech type could say that it can be fixed as I am not averse to some dismantling / soldering etc.

Thank for the input, but no its not that, I have tried almost a full turn and it still won't cancel either way, I was kinda hoping some electrical tech type could say that it can be fixed as I am not averse to some dismantling / soldering etc.

Update on indicator stalk problem, I ordered a spare from an auto parts dealer, removed my "faulty" one? and on checking it out the appears to be nothing wrong with it at all as it is exactly the same as the replacement in every detail and I can cancel both when not fitted, when fitting the spare part it problem is still there so i suspect it has to do with the "notched " part of the steering column although I cant quite figure out what is wrong!

Do you have any pics of the item fitted - and the notches on the wheel?

PS - you're not really missing much by this not working. You should always cancel your indicators yourself, and the self cancel is only there to help out in case you forget. Best to get it fixed though if you can.

Hi folks, all is well and i finally fixed the "not cancelling problem", it was all to do with the small wedge shaped apparatus the sticks out of the indicator stalk unit when it is activated by using the turn signal stalk (left or right) although I could find nothing wrong with mine whatsoever i decided to build up the "wedge" face with a small piece of plastic measuring 4mm x 5mm x 1mm (this was cut from an old CD case , the black stuff), I finely sized it using abrasives and callipers, then i made sure measured it exactly then super glued (Loctite ) it onto the face of the wedge) one hour after after fitting this i made sure it was even all round by very finely trimming it with my dremel type tool, So with this very small piece subsequently super glued onto the wedge, with some trepidation I refitted the stalk switch and it immediately worked amazingly well. (£130 Quid saved)

• 11 months later...
Hi folks, all is well and i finally fixed the "not cancelling problem", it was all to do with the small wedge shaped apparatus the sticks out of the indicator stalk unit when it is activated by using the turn signal stalk (left or right) although I could find nothing wrong with mine whatsoever i decided to build up the "wedge" face with a small piece of plastic measuring 4mm x 5mm x 1mm (this was cut from an old CD case , the black stuff), I finely sized it using abrasives and callipers, then i made sure measured it exactly then super glued (Loctite ) it onto the face of the wedge) one hour after after fitting this i made sure it was even all round by very finely trimming it with my dremel type tool, So with this very small piece subsequently super glued onto the wedge, with some trepidation I refitted the stalk switch and it immediately worked amazingly well. (£130 Quid saved)

Update on the above problem, I soon found out that the small piece of plastic I had glued on did not last too long and have since made a small modification to the fix, I drilled a very smal diameter hole in the small wedge shaped section and mixed up some araldite , applied it to the underside of the small wedge (which is hollow) then inserted a small round headed metal screw into the drilled hole (an interference fit) and also applied some more araldite (a tiny amount ) to the screw and screw head Sorted!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links