Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Refueling Problem

Lennyb

I have bought a new yaris TR d4d diesel, initially I was pleased. Then I tried to refuel. The first time took me 10 minutes as the pump kept clicking off after just a second. I turned the nozzle in various directions, but to no avail. I withdrew the nozzle more and more and this was the only time it filled with diesel successfully. This got me a full tank of fuel and a soaking for my feet as the the tank overflowed (probably because the nozzle was too far out). I thought l must have been using a defective pump so the next time l tried a different one. But, same problem only worse. I gave up after putting £14.00 in. My husband was asked to help me and he experienced the same, he did manage to fill the tank though. He didn't soak his feet too much as l warned him to stand well back. I see from reading the internet that l am not alone - but what is the solution?

The pump automatically clicks off when too much fuel is being released, as it splashes back up the nozzle - this is due to the pump and the force of the fuel being delivered and not the car. Like running the taps in a sink with the plug out - only so much water can go down the plughole and if the volume of water is too great, the sink will start to slowly fill up - it's the same principle with a pump nozzle.

Try squeezing the fuel out slower and you should find a vast improvement.

I get the same problem at Sainsbury's petrol stations mainly! It is annoying, but aswell as applying less pressure I also turn the pump to an angle and that helps too - twist it to the left works for me, shame it hasnt worked for you.

I get the same problem at Sainsbury's petrol stations mainly! It is annoying, but aswell as applying less pressure I also turn the pump to an angle and that helps too - twist it to the left works for me, shame it hasnt worked for you.

Same here, I have to do that on my Celica, the Yaris I had and just about every vehicle I've had in the last 10 years or so. Squeeze the pump 'half on' and turn the nozzle to an angle that you find suits best and it's quicker than trying to fill up with the nozzle fully open.

I had an ex-Met Police riot van with long distance tanks, on average it was 30 minutes to trickle in 100+ litres... :lol:

This problem is not just confined to the yaris !!! It seems to be more of a problem when your filler is on a Slope towards the pump

I always used to complain to the garage because I really do think a lot of the time its is down to the pumps cut off being too sensitive .

I suggest you try another garage and see if it still as bad

Try getting the hose as stright as possible, a sharp bend will restrict the flow, & cause back pressure that will stop the pump from running.

Yeah, it's just 1 of those things with a Yaris, don't squeeze the pump too much & keep trying different angles til you find 1 that works

Took me absolutely ages to get out of the habit when I got the Golf because now I can just throw it in as quick as it pumps

I've experienced the same problem.

I thought it was just me ;)

I was at BP once, trying to fill up with unleaded. It took about 3 or 4 clicks before I could get a decent flow of fuel.

I was abit frustrated so I asked the the guy at the petrol station when I paid, and he said its usually when the nozzle hasnt been inserted into the car properly.

So everytime i get a click at first, i take out the nozzle and place it in as far deep as I can - if that makes sense.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links