Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two Newbie Questions

newravman

I have two questions about the display panel:

1. Can somebody please the "inst" display to me - I know it's something to do with fuel consumption but why does the scale go from 0 - 90 and why does it shoot up and down?

2. Is my average journey speed indicator wrong? For every journey I go on, it always shows around 29mph, even when the majority of that journey has been on a motorway and thus far faster.

Thanks very much.

The fuel consumption thing looks well impressive doesn't it but I too have no idea what's going on there?

Hello newravman, welcome to the madhouse!

The "inst" display is the instantanious fuel consumption so it shows fuel being used at that moment rather than as an average. If you put your foot down it will shoot to the left (low consumption) and if you take your foot off it will go towards the 90 mark or higher on over-run. You will find that on cruising you can get it to stabilise somewhere inbetween and vary slightly by just making small throttle adjustments.

The fuel mpg is an average and will be showing average since the car was new so although you are varying you motoring it will take a long time to show any variation in mpg. You could try cancelling the display by pressing and holding the button while it is on the ave mpg display. It will then begin to give you info on the way you drive but it will show funny results for the first 50 - 100 or so miles then settle down (it needs some time to establish conditions).

Regards

Thanks for that Anchorman - I was wondering about that myself - Mines showing 38.8 average at 32000 miles when I got it

- Given that 90% of my mileage is in town & when I filled up for the first time today (after filling up when I got it) I reckon I'm lucky to be getting 23 :(

I'll reset it tomorrow then I can see just how heavy my right foot really is!!

But I DON'T CARE - 'cos I just love driving that RAV machine. :D

NA just buy a Diesel....then save the planet as well :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'd dearnt touch the accelerator pedal too much lately...the cost of fuel is rocketing...seems every week another penny is put onto the price...Then again suppose we do have more than our friends in Scotland..... :lol: :lol:

IMAGE_021.jpg Lots of down hills on way to work....

Ok thanks for that, but 90 what? What is the scale?

It's in miles per gallon (according to my handbook, it works out the distance/consumption calculation based on 20 engine revolutions) and is probably configurable to litres/100 km, km/litre or mpg - I'm not sure as we've gone to kilometres etc here in Ireland and mine doesn't do mpg. My better half's Rav4.2 from 2005 has the speedo in km/hr but the fuel consumption readout is configurable to all three.

Also, even though most of my driving's on motorways, too, I only get an average speed of 52km/hr (and we can legitmately do 120 km/hr here. I think that the amount of time we actually spend at slow speed (on the way to the motroway, at traffic lioghts, parking etc) is far more than we think...maybe

Hope that helps :)

The display on the computer in the radio on the RAV4.2 goes from 0 mpg upto 99mpg - not sure what the range is in l/100km

Also, all the time the ignition is just on but engine not running, the average speed will be 0 mph, so that time spend in the car waiting for the wife to get ready after she says "are YOU ready yet?" counts :!Removed!:

I sometimes find the reported average speed on my RAV is nudging the 70mph B) (probably explains my poor fuel consumption :rolleyes: ) but tend to reset all figures after a fuel brim so I can relate the distance to ave speed. Average speed over last 1,000 miles was 43 (highest trip 54mph, lowest trip 34)

On my 55 xt3 you can choose how it is shown using the right hand side button on the radio that you use to change the bass/treble etc - just keep pressing till you get mpg and then turn the knob to the scale you prefer. You can reset the average by pressing and holding the trip navi(?) button down on each reading. I'm finding the averages fairly accurate but a bit depressing! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links