Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Landcruiser Colorado Cutting Out

karl2345

Hi, Please can someone Help.

I have a 1998 Landcruiser Colorado 3.4 VX Auto and althougth this is a fantastic piece of kit, I have recently been having an annoying problem with it. Normally it starts with no problem and first time. The problem is that without warning the engine will cut out. Sometimes it will restart straight away and other times it will start on the 2nd or 3rd time. This has been quite dangerous at times as it has cut out when I have been pulling out on to the main road with flowing traffic. I have taken it to the local garage but the trouble is that because the fault is unpredictable I have been told that it could be 'this or that' and I'll have to pay for changing any parts and may not guarantee the solution.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You really need to get in plugged into a fault reader which only a main dealer will have, does the engine check light come on.

Hi There,

Thanks for the response.

The engine check light does come on.

Will plugging into the fault reader by a Toyota dealer as you suggest show an intermittent fault?

Thanks for your response.

I will take it to the garage and will let you know of the outcome.

faulty fuel safety cut off valves where a bit of a problem on petrols. cutting out. misfiring & a pain to start.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have just had the same experience- told that it was the turbo ( deisel) and had this replaced- at huge cost, but today, same happened and went into limp mode as I crossed a busy intersection- excellent- went back to Toyota who stuck the fault reader onto the car and - yes still a turbo fault coming through as the code. I shall let you know what happens - they are working on it next week.

Hi

My sisters 3.0 turbo diesel surf has the exact same problem. Today it has decided to stop completely rather than in the middle of an intersection. Very dangerous fault. It seems that it is more common than I thought. She has had the starter motor replaced as they thought the contacts may have been causing it. Not so. I'm am suggesting she also takes it to the dealer for a diagnosis. Seems strange to me that in Nick03's case they identify a turbo fault. Anyway I'll keep you posted on her progress. Very interested in the outcome of others.

Hi again

My sisters car finally fired up after both earth connections were removed and throughly cleaned. One is quite hard to find and is between the block and bodywork. If you need exact details of where to locate I'll find out.

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links